Quantcast

Blame throwing - View of a Canadian

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Blame throwing
Ottawa Citizen | September 18, 2005 | David Warren

There's plenty wrong with America, since you asked. (Everybody's asking.) I'm tempted to say, the only difference from Canada, is that they have a few things right. That would be unfair, of course -- I am often pleased to discover things we still get right.

But one of them would not be disaster preparation. If someething happened up here, on the scale of Katrina, we wouldn't even have the resources to arrive late. We would be waiting for the Americans to come save us, the same way the government in Louisiana just waved and pointed at Washington, D.C. The theory being, that when you're in real trouble, that's where the adults live.

And that isn't an exaggeration. Almost everything that has worked in the recovery operation along the U.S. Gulf Coast has been military and National Guard. Within a few days, under several commands, finally consolidated under the remarkable Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, it was once again the U.S. military, efficiently cobbling together a recovery operation on a scale beyond the capacity of any other earthly institution.

We hardly have a military up here. We have elected one feckless government after another, who have cut corners until there is nothing substantial left. We don't have the ability even to transport and equip our few soldiers. Should disaster strike at home, on a big scale, we become a Third World country. At which point, our national smugness is of no avail.

From Democrats and the American Left -- the U.S. equivalent to the people who run Canada -- we are still hearing that the disaster in New Orleans showed a heartless, white Republican America had abandoned its underclass.

This is garbage. The great majority of those not evacuated lived in assisted housing, receive food stamps and prescription medicine and government support through many other programmes. Many have, all their lives, expected someone to lift them to safety, sans input from themselves. And the demagogic mayor they elected left, quite literally, hundreds of transit and school buses parked in rows to be lost in the flood, that could have driven them out of town.

Yes, that was insensitive. But it is also the truth; and sooner or later we must acknowledge that welfare dependency creates exactly the sort of haplessness and social degeneration we saw on display, as the floodwaters rose. Many suffered terribly, and many died, and one's heart goes out. But already the survivors are being put up in new accommodations, and their various entitlements have been directed to new locations.

The scale of private charity has also been unprecedented. There are yet no statistics, but I'll wager the most generous state in the union will prove to have been arch-Republican Texas, and that nationally, contributions in cash and kind are coming disproportionately from people who vote Republican. For the world divides into "the mouths" and "the wallets".

The Bush-bashing, both down there and up here, has so far lost touch with reality, as to raise questions about the bashers' state of mind.

Consult any authoritative source on how government works in the United States, and you will learn that the U.S. federal government's legal, constitutional, and institutional responsibility for first response to Katrina, as to any natural disaster, was zero.

Notwithstanding, President Bush took the prescient step of declaring a disaster, in order to begin deploying FEMA and other federal assets, two full days in advance of the stormfall. In the little time since, he has managed to coordinate an immense recovery operation -- the largest in human history -- without invoking martial powers. He has been sufficiently Presidential to respond, not even once, to the extraordinarily mendacious and childish blame-throwing.

One thinks of Kipling's "If --" poem, which I learned to recite as a lad, and mention now in the full knowledge that it drives postmodern leftoids and gliberals to apoplexy -- as anything that is good, beautiful, or true:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise...

Unlike his critics, Bush is a man, in the full sense presented by these verses. A fallible man, like all the rest, but a man.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
"The scale of private charity has also been unprecedented. There are yet no statistics, but I'll wager the most generous state in the union will prove to have been arch-Republican Texas, and that nationally, contributions in cash and kind are coming disproportionately from people who vote Republican. For the world divides into "the mouths" and "the wallets".

The Bush-bashing, both down there and up here, has so far lost touch with reality, as to raise questions about the bashers' state of mind."

-> I couldn't agree more. I recently saw the video of Kanye West on Big-boys.com saying blaintently that Bush doesn't care about blacks. This was on a Katrina-recovery drive on national TV. Fu@$ him, and every other starbucks sipping liberal.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
Blame throwing
Wait, so which one is good, big government or small government? I keep reading your threads and I'm having a hard time making up my mind...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
its nice to see someone NOT bashing the relief effort and more specifically to call out the effects of the welfare state that is Louisiana, even more so that it was someone from outside of our country.

so what if it was a n8 repost, can't you acknowledge the truths therein that it contains inclag?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
sugarbushrider1 said:
"The scale of private charity has also been unprecedented. There are yet no statistics, but I'll wager the most generous state in the union will prove to have been arch-Republican Texas, and that nationally, contributions in cash and kind are coming disproportionately from people who vote Republican. For the world divides into "the mouths" and "the wallets".

The Bush-bashing, both down there and up here, has so far lost touch with reality, as to raise questions about the bashers' state of mind."

-> I couldn't agree more. I recently saw the video of Kanye West on Big-boys.com saying blaintently that Bush doesn't care about blacks. This was on a Katrina-recovery drive on national TV. Fu@$ him, and every other starbucks sipping liberal.
Haha you want to **** Kayne West. What a faggot!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
ridetoofast said:
its nice to see someone NOT bashing the relief effort and more specifically to call out the effects of the welfare state that is Louisiana, even more so that it was someone from outside of our country.

so what if it was a n8 repost, can't you acknowledge the truths therein that it contains inclag?

What truths? That the author is a hardcore conservative and that if you have read any of his stories you would see that they are told in a fashion to spin off and exagerate half truths while ignoring others to feed his personal agenda.

OK now I see the truths.

Within a few days, under several commands, finally consolidated under the remarkable Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, it was once again the U.S. military, efficiently cobbling together a recovery operation on a scale beyond the capacity of any other earthly institution.
Within a few days???? Yep that's truth #1

The great majority of those not evacuated lived in assisted housing, receive food stamps and prescription medicine and government support through many other programmes. Many have, all their lives, expected someone to lift them to safety, sans input from themselves.
A little agenda feeding, that will be truth #2. He was right though about the mayor not using all the school busses available. I don't think he needed all of this spin mumbo jumbo to get to that though.

But it is also the truth; and sooner or later we must acknowledge that welfare dependency creates exactly the sort of haplessness and social degeneration we saw on display, as the floodwaters rose.
Some more agenda. Truth #3

The scale of private charity has also been unprecedented. There are yet no statistics, but I'll wager the most generous state in the union will prove to have been arch-Republican Texas, and that nationally, contributions in cash and kind are coming disproportionately from people who vote Republican. For the world divides into "the mouths" and "the wallets".
WOW

Honestly, does your BS meter not go off the wall when you read this stuff?????

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kanye.html

Watch this clip, and argue about what I said. I don't care what point he wanted to make, it was an EXTREMELY inappropriate coment to be made at that time, and it shows both the ignorance and the stupidity of that man, and his genuine disregard to the purpose of the telethon and patriotism. Fv#$ him. :dead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
Ah..."patriotism".... what does that word mean these days anyway? We seem to be in an era of "if you're not with us, you're against us"......
The standard definition of patriotism is to love and be devoted to ones country. The definition by neo-cons is to love and be devoted to your contries administration. I remember when Clinton was Pres. how many conservatives were declairing themselves patriots because they opposed the administration and wanted to make the country better. I guess the definition shifts with the winds.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Westy, I understand your point completely, and hopefully thats not how I came off. This is America, everyone has a right to belive and preach as they wish. I also take back that comment about liberals, I was pretty fired up after watching that kanye west clip.
Having said this, I believe Kanye West was completely wrong in pulling what he did on a sponsored event to contribute to the rebuilding and cleanup effort of NO. Although he may not agree with Bush and his procedures, which is fine, the fact he would go out and say such a thing during a convention meant to bring people together shows what trash he is.
Its the same thing as someone at the WTC sites yelling "The USA was behind the fall of the towers" the day after 9/11. Utterly disgusting.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
sugarbushrider1 said:
Although he may not agree with Bush and his procedures, which is fine, the fact he would go out and say such a thing during a convention meant to bring people together shows what trash he is.
Its the same thing as someone at the WTC sites yelling "The USA was behind the fall of the towers" the day after 9/11. Utterly disgusting.
Even if it's true?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
ridetoofast said:
you going to substantiate a ? like that?
DO a search. No, I meant (I knew someone would ask this): Is it wrong to declare what you believe to be the truth even if most people may not believe or agree with you?

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
No, again your missing my point. I already said this if you carefully read my post. But to go to the WTC site and yell that to a group of Americans who are looking for support and comfort from the government is a Fu$ked up thing to do, and this is basically what Kanye West said on that clip.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
ridetoofast said:
actually i partially believe you...at least the pentagon anyways, but id like to see why you believe wtc
Get a video of it. Time the collapse. They collapse at very very slightly slower than acceleration due to gravity. The lower parts of the towers suffered no damage. That ain't right.

Edit: Please, let's not do this in this thread...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
Get a video of it. Time the collapse. They collapse at very very slightly slower than acceleration due to gravity. The lower parts of the towers suffered no damage. That ain't right.

Edit: Please, let's not do this in this thread...
Do you wanna start a new thread where we can discuss your theories about things falling slower than the rate of acceleration due to gravity? I'm up for it...

E

enkidu

"911 in Plane Site" DVD does make a convincing case of the Pentagon attack with the initial 16 Ft hole not being large enough for 44 Ft x 125 Ft Boeing. No wreckage of the plane was to be found on the lawn of the Pentagon as well.

The WTC segment of the DVD is also compelling.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
Chang's funky fizix was discussed ad nauseum a few months back.
It's just that an object falling at slightly less than 1g is not something that I would find remarkable. I was wondering what he saw it as evidence of.

I was absent during that time I guess...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ridetoofast said:
ive seen a vid and pics of the 'penta-lawn' and find the 'hole' that the plane made HIGHLY questionable, however the wtc seems pretty straightforward from all the different vids and pics ive seen of it
So you are actually considering the possibility that the US government fired a cruise missile into its own department of defense as a staged terrorist act (edit: that HAPPENED to coincide with a major terrorist operation carried out by Saudi extremists)?

Just checking, because that's what I thought you said.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
the vid and still photos ive seen that were taken just after the crash raise some seriously troubling questions.

total lack of plane wreckage

lack of damage to 'pentalawn'

impossibly neat, symmetric (sp?), and SMALL hole that the 'plane' caused

things like that that just dont reconcile with photos from a typical plane crash

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ridetoofast said:
the vid and still photos ive seen that were taken just after the crash raise some seriously troubling questions.

total lack of plane wreckage

lack of damage to 'pentalawn'

impossibly neat, symmetric (sp?), and SMALL hole that the 'plane' caused

things like that that just dont reconcile with photos from a typical plane crash
Again, to be even entertaining questions about the above, you are "considering the possibility that the US government fired a cruise missile into its own department of defense as a staged terrorist act."

Is this the case?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
fluff said:
It's just that an object falling at slightly less than 1g is not something that I would find remarkable. I was wondering what he saw it as evidence of.

I was absent during that time I guess...
It should have fallen far slower due to the resistance of the undamaged structure beneath it. Secondarily, the degree to which the concrete structure was pulverised has been estimated by some to be far in excess of what should have been possible from the energy expended by both the plane and the collapse. But anyway...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
It should have fallen far slower due to the resistance of the undamaged structure beneath it. Secondarily, the degree to which the concrete structure was pulverised has been estimated by some to be far in excess of what should have been possible from the energy expended by both the plane and the collapse. But anyway...
When I've seen buildings demolished with explosives at the base they've fallen pretty fast...

Are there any buildings that we can carry out controlled experiments on? Something built the same way and a plane full of neo-conservatives?