Quantcast

Blasphemy!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
So, a few weeks ago I grabbed my rollerblades out of the deep, dark depths of dust and hit up the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara Skateparks. Well, Lake Cunningham Regional Skate Park is now open, too. I'll be heading there today to do a little 8-wheeled action.

Here's my gripe. They have BMX hours, but their rules are REDONKULOUS. Check it out:

http://www.sjparks.org/Skateboard/bmx.asp

SJ Regional Skate Park:

BMX Bikes will be allowed at Lake Cunningham Regional Skate Park during bike-specific sessions. Check with Park Staff to confirm session times. The following rules apply to BMX biking within the Skate Park:

1. Bike types: Only BMX or Freestyle type bikes will be allowed. No mountain bikes, trail bikes, tandem bikes, 10-Speeds or non-BMX models will be allowed.

2. Wheel Size: Only 16”, 20”or 24”wheel sizes will be allowed. 26”or larger wheel sizes are not allowed.

3. Handlebars: All handlebars must have end caps or grips that cover the end of the bars.

4. Pedals: Must be aluminum or plastic. Plastic is preferred.

5. Pegs: Pegs may be used as long as they are plastic. Pegs with holes, serrations, grip tape, grooves or any other type of surface may not be used. If the user has any peg type that is not allowed, the pegs must be removed in order to use the Skate Park. .

6. Protective Gear: All riders must wear elbow and knee pads and Snell/ANSI certified helmets.

7. Limited Access: Bikes will not be allowed in areas with pool coping or other areas identified by staff.

8. Other Equipment: Including kick stands, multiple gears and moving suspensions are not allowed. If you have any questions about your bike’s configuration, ask Skate Park Staff before entering the Skate Park.

9. All Other Skate Park Rules Apply: See general Skate Park Rules for other allowed and disallowed activities.

10. All Bikes must have a working Brake.

The BMX Program and Rules are subject to revision at any time. Any violation of park rules may result in closure of the Skate Park or elimination of the BMX Program. All staff decisions are final.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
hopefully we'll be there this Sunday, but yea the rules are outrageous. I don't ride my 26 in skateparks, (I ride my 20) so that rule as jacked up as it is doesn't bother me. I would like to think they made that rule so it'll prevent the neighborhood kids coming in with their Magna bikes jacking themselves up.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I can understand that, but they should be able to simply look at the bike and go:

"Hey, kid... did you buy that bike at Kmart?"

"Yes."

"You can't bring it in here... you'll shoot your eye out. How about a nice... football?"

;)

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
yea I'm thinking the same thing about the allowing bikes lasting long. That's why we're planning on going this Sun to get some before it's too late.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Not quite in that fashion... haha...

But man, after riding full suspension, doing tricks on rollerblades is hard. There's no pre-load!!!!

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
So after some sleuthing....... :)
I found out the only reason 26" isn't allowed is because Ron Wilkerson was strongly C-Blocking.(some way of hoping his sales would go up) I say petition the councilman in the area and lets change the rules.
They need to make money on this park and if they see us wanting in eventually they will let us.
But right now BMX is trial there. Not even in stone yet......

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
So after some sleuthing....... :)
I found out the only reason 26" isn't allowed is because Ron Wilkerson was strongly C-Blocking.
I have a lil talk with Mr. Wilkerson about that , he's pretty resonable about this sorta thing . I'm supposed to have lunch with him here in the next few days about some business stuff so I'll try to bring this up then :biggrin: