Quantcast

Bleeding disc brakes.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Can anyone give me some tips about bleeding my el caminos. I know they suck everyone! Please Dont tell me what i already know, I'm looking for honest advice on how to tweak these things. They cant be that bad once you get them set up good. Any advice?

(besides buying avids, i cant afford them!)

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Don't get that crap on your face. "Brake Fluid" is nasty.
Hopes are alot easier no doubt!
Hayes you have to reverse bleed pushing the fluid back up through the line from the caliper up to the lever,with the bleed hole on the lever pointed up.
It's a little goofy the way Hayes are bled.
Good luck...

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
My el caminos are really spongy after having rebuilt the master cylinder and push rod. When you rebleed a system after it is bone dry, Are you charging the caliper and line at the same time? I ran through the system after i filled it and the line was bubble free. ????

ESPI!

Chimp
Jan 9, 2008
Bleeding those brakes right can be a little tricky. First, if it's the back brake it may be easiest to remove the caliper from the frame. A lot of frames route the hose in a way that there are high points in the hose where air can get trapped. I also use a syringe at the caliper to bleed them instead of the bottle hayes gives you in the bleed kit. I also use a hose olive on the hose of the syringe to keep it on the bleed screw. Push a syringe or two full of fluid through the system to get any air out of the hose. Then close the master cylinder at the lever by holding the brake lever down to the bar (I tie it down with a toe strap for convenience) and pressurize the fluid in the caliper to free up air bubble trapped down there. Make sure you have the pistons all the way out, put some old pads in the there in case you get fluid on them and hold it all in place with the plastic hayes wedge. The push fluid in with the syringe and release back (don't pull!!!) You'll see air bubbles escape back into the syringe if there's any in the caliper, repeat this step until no more air comes out. Then with lever open push another syringe or two of fluid through the system while tapping the line and lever to remove any bubble trapped in there. Quickly flicking the lever up and down also helps free trapped air during this step, but be careful not to pull air bubbles through the bleed hose back into the lever. Repeat until no more air comes out.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Hose olive? I dont think i know what that is. Thanks for the tips! Ive done all you said except for pushing the fluid in with the lever held down. Ill post the results.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
The olive is the brass ring used to help seal the line into the lever body. It's in the parts bag if you get a new line.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Ok, Do I need to replace the compression ring since i removed the line from the MC body and the banjo from the caliper, I did not replace it.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
I followed the tips everyone gave and the lever feels firmer but it still questionable. Oh well, diablo will be the test spot. Getting psyched! Any one else getting pumped up for some diablo?