Quantcast

Bleeding Formulas (ONEs)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK, I just want confirmation. To bleed the formulas all I need is this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19608

I unscrew the screw in the lever and the one in the caliper, fill one syringe with brake fluid, attach both to the brake, and pump the fluid back and forth?

All sounds a bit too easy, but then I have had to bleed Hopes for the last 7 years :)

Is it as straightforward as it sounds? Any tips?

- seb

(PS my new brakes don't need bleeding, but I'm shortening the hoses to cut down on the flappyness!)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That's how avids work as well is it? What's the topcap for on the avid then? (My formulas have no top cap, there's just the one grub screw on the lever and one on the caliper (the caliper one is very neatly in the centre of the hose-connecting banjo doofah, very clever!)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Since you're just shortening the hose, you should be able to just bleed the lever and not the whole system. The avid syringes also work if you have those around.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
how do you bleed "just the lever"? surely you have to undo things both ends or theres nowhere to move stuff?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
To bleed just the lever; take the bleed screw out of the lever, hook up the syringe (full of fluid to the very tip obviously), suck out any air that's gathered in the lever body, allow it to rise to the top of the syringe and then let the suction you have created suck fluid back in to fill the master cylinder. Repeat a couple of times over and you're done.

I know it sounds stupidly easy. That's because it is. They are truly idiot-proof brakes to work on.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I chose well then haha :)

Only got a rear at the moment, front should arrive in the morning hopefully.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
speaking of formula brakes -- i just bought the oro biancos for my single speed frame, which has the kind of slotted brake line guides that thick brakelines will barely fit into. i.e. you have to thread the brake line thru the guide.

so i'm thinking i'll a) remove the brake line from the lever assembly b) snake the brake line up thru the guides on the seat stay / top tube, while keeping the caliper down on the ground c) re-attach the line d) bleed the lever assembly as described in this thread.

think that'll work okay?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah should do I think. FWIW though if that was me I think I'd attach the hose to the frame with zipties instead, I'd hate to think that if I ever wanted to take the brake off the bike for any reason I'd have to bleed it each time.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
speaking of ones, do anyone know where you can buy them for a decent price, whats stable?

there was a ebay store what i foud on here awhile ago for the 200mm version of ~150 euros each, but now they only 160mm :(

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I bought a rear one from that ebay store (go1.fr). They said they wont be getting any front boxxer 200s for another month so I bought the front from http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/.

Chainreactioncycles (who are normally very cheap) seem to be way off on these brakes charging £30-£60 more than everyone else!

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I bought a rear one from that ebay store (go1.fr). They said they wont be getting any front boxxer 200s for another month so I bought the front from http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/.

Chainreactioncycles (who are normally very cheap) seem to be way off on these brakes charging £30-£60 more than everyone else!
yeah i checked CRC when i was first interested in the brakes and changed my mind until i found other stores doing it so much cheaper, now im super interested again.

are the levers switchable? front brake on the right or on the left?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
My supplier cannot get the 200mm rotors for The Ones now. Can I just order an Oro 200mm & adapter kit?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
They're exactly the same Damo, so yes. There is no specific rotor for The Ones AFAIK, they're just Oros.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You sure about that buckoW? Both ONEs I've bought have come with Oro rotors - my front just arrived and the rotor is in a bag labelled "HARDWARE ORO 200MM FRONT BOXXER KIT". have I been done?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Bollocks. Can't get the compression doofah off of the hose (OK so I was optimistic!)

On top of that no-one seems to sell "The One" spares yet, what my hose has looks different to http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22473 (silver and a slightly different shape). Anyone know if that one will do the job?

One of my two brakes came with the kit I need, the other didn't :( (or if it did I've managed to throw it away, but I'm 99% it didnt).

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
maybe all the rotors are the same now. Does it have one hole in the middle of the arms going out to the braking surface. Anyways both will work. Also there are 203mm rotors and 200mm rotors. I do testing for Formula so I am not exactly sure what comes with a "kit". Maybe one of the compression washers for the Oro's will work? I shortened my housing but was able to save the original compression washer so I am not much help.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Man, this IS easy. I think I need to run Formula's on both my bikes just because the bleed is so freaking easy! I followed their directions in the bleed kit, and I don't get one thing. They said that by squeezing the lever I am supposed to be able to isolate the lever master cylinder from the hose and the caliper fluid. Well, when I squeeze down all the way with the lever while pulling on the caliper syringe, it actually takes fluid (albeit a lot more slowly) from the lever syringe. So it's not closing it off completely. And yes, I fiddled with the pad contact adjuster. It doesn't seem to matter though, I was able to cycle the fluid through a few times and get all bubbles to come out (I think). The lever engagement point is now a lot quicker than what it used to be - I get the feeling that I'll be going over the bars soon...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Does it matter what position the FCS adjuster is in when you bleed them? I am trying to get a quicker engagement point than mine currently have. Thanks.