Quantcast

blindside & body position

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
hey guys
i race downhill (and train specifically for it) all year long, and i own a 05 turner dhr
my main training location has no mechanized lifts, so i have to pedal to the top: the problem is that pedaling a DHR is a real pain in the ass, because i can't raise the saddle, and the seat angle is laid all the way back
also, lately i'm having issues with my back: inflammation, severe pain, etc so i can't pedal my DHR at all anymore

so i started looking for a new frame with both DH specific geos AND a more pedal friendly body position, and the only one i could find is the new transition blindside

question: do you think the blindside actually allows a (relatively) pedal friendly body position?

(if you know any other frame with such features please let me know, but keep in mind i can't afford to spend much more than the blindside costs, which should be around 1500 $)

[sorry for my poor english, you know here in italy we suck at it ; ) ]

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
saruti: the sunday it's not an option because the seat angle is too slack to pedal it... my problem is not about bobbing or pedal efficiency, it's just about body position
the 7 point might be an option, but i don't think its geo it's dh-oriented... or is it?

kevin: no, i'm selling the dhr to get the money for the new frame, so i would race on this new frame

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
yes i thought of that but the price tag scares me a lot... unless i can find one on the classifieds for a lot less, but i guess it won't be easy

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
The Blindside can very easily be a pedal-to-the-top bike.

It wont be the most fun, but then again it is an 8" bike. You can put a front derailleur on it if you choose, which will only help the grind to the top.

As for geometry, just remember that it is a big travel bike first and climbing wasnt the top priority in the design. Otherwise, I think you should be just fine. Plus you can easily do a sub 40lb build that wont break the bank...and will only help with the climbing.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
is there anyone who owns a blindside who can tell me if they feel uncomfortable when climbing, or if it forces you to assume an unnatural position even having raised the saddle?

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
Take a look at the turner highline with the shorter shock option for 7 inches of travel. The seat angle is about 74 degrees and the bottom bracket about 14 inches high. Maybe a bit out of your price range but a stellar all around ride for sure.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
My Blindside climbs fine. Sure it ain't a 5" bike, but I enjoy climbing it more than other larger bikes I've tried.

I say go for it! The only thing I had to get used to was the low BB (about 13.7" w/ a flush headset + 888). Other than that, it rocks!

I got mine at 42.8# as it sits in this pic:

Jun 11, 2004
the problem is that pedaling a DHR is a real pain in the ass, because i can't raise the saddle,
A much cheaper option than getting a whole new frame would be to get a telescoping seatpost to use just for your training sessions. I believe Titec makes one called the Pyro' Scoper?

Just a thought.............

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
blindside is a good option for you, the effective seat tube anlge is steeper than actual. the pivot placement is low so it will pedal fine in the granny ring, get a dhx for the propedal to help also.

I used to climb hills with a 38t ring and the seat a little low but then my knees started hurting, now i insist on a granny ring and a straight enough seat tube for full seatpost extension. the blindside could be my next big bike too, unless I can get a deal on a gear-box bike.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
A much cheaper option than getting a whole new frame would be to get a telescoping seatpost to use just for your training sessions. I believe Titec makes one called the Pyro' Scoper?

Just a thought.............
unfortunately the turner DHR has the minimum seatpost diameter possible : (

Jun 11, 2004

I didn't think of that until after I posted.........

I just remembered a buddy of mine had the same issues you were having a few years ago, but it was on a Big Hit. He was able to use the telescoping seatpost though.

Well new bikes are always GOOD THING!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
There are a lot of really great frames with steep full length seat tubes that won't hinder your performance at speed and that have a lot lower top tube and center of gravity (read: not ultra low rearward pivot and 17" seat tube). Also for a DH race bike, I'd want to make sure they've got their suspension rate curve figured out. They sure didn't on the Bottlerocket or the GranMal. The Bottlerocket doesn't matter as much in that respect because cornering traction isn't as big of a concern, as well as the fact that most peoples' 5" bikes usually aren't that well tuned anyways. However the Granmal was like riding a bronco. It constantly bucked from the suspension blowing through it's travel on everything. I was running 15% sag (no preload) on mine with 150psi and full bottom resistance, and it still bottomed out off every single lip, roller, anything. It eventually bottomed out on the lip of a highspeed sender and made me overshoot about 30+ ft to flat. Needless to say, I ditched it right after that and never looked back...and never had that problem again!

Hopefully the Blindside is better than that, but if you're not willing to risk it, I'd look at:

Orange 22 series, Morewood Izumi, Devinci Wilson. Pricier, but far more DH friendly.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I used a 27.2 diameter Titec telescopic seatpost for 2 years pedalling a 45lb bike up fireroads carrying my 240lbs with absolutely no problems.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
the pivot placement is low so it will pedal fine in the granny ring,
Coming to the Blindside from a Nomad, that's one thing that I noticed, the Nomad had terrible chain growth in the low gears cause of the pivot placement, but the Blindside has really no chain growth which is sweet.