Quantcast

Blindside Floater?

I am ordering my new Blindside for my 2008 race rig and am trying to figure out if i need to put a floater on it. Anyone running one on theirs? I had an old V10 with the floater, so I know how they work and that they work, just not sure if the Blindside really needs one or if its just dead weight.

Your 2 cents greatly appreciated

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I'm running mine without one and let's just say I'll be ordering one this winter.

What else is needed to add one on later? Do you need a longer rear axle to run it? I know it bolts on to the outside of the frame so its not required and doesnt require a special hub, but I am kinda tight on money since I am putting together a few bikes, but dont want to skimp on something that I actually need

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Well I ordered the frame in the 10mm drop outs, so I will need to order the 12mm dropouts, the floater kit (which comes with a 150mm axle since the floater bolts outside the frame). Then I need to rebuild my Hadley in 12mm.

But if you order your frame w/ 12mm to begin with, all you would need later is the floater kit, which comes with the new axle.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
What else is needed to add one on later? Do you need a longer rear axle to run it? I know it bolts on to the outside of the frame so its not required and doesnt require a special hub, but I am kinda tight on money since I am putting together a few bikes, but dont want to skimp on something that I actually need

Well it comes with the axle you just have to run a 150mm with the Floater. I just got my BS and have the floater havent really got on her hard to say for sure if you need one.. But with the way the linkage is I would say you do, and I know Matt was saying you do since he doesnt run one. So all you need is to order the kit comes with axle, caliper mount, greasable Heims etc etc. Besides that you just need the dropouts from Trans and a 12mm hub if you dont have one already..

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Well I ordered the frame in the 10mm drop outs, so I will need to order the 12mm dropouts, the floater kit (which comes with a 150mm axle since the floater bolts outside the frame). Then I need to rebuild my Hadley in 12mm.

But if you order your frame w/ 12mm to begin with, all you would need later is the floater kit, which comes with the new axle.
I actually modified my rear end a little bit to run the floater with a Saint hub on the 10mm end. Using the Hadley Saint bolt-on kit. I have the 150mm axle and 12mm kit if you're looking for a set

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Then I need to rebuild my Hadley in 12mm.
Which hadley's are convertible between what sizes? Can a 10x135 convert to a 12x150? I've got a nice wheelset in 12x150 that I'd love to covert for use on my other bikes, but I thought I was going to need to buy a whole new set.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Which hadley's are convertible between what sizes? Can a 10x135 convert to a 12x150? I've got a nice wheelset in 12x150 that I'd love to covert for use on my other bikes, but I thought I was going to need to buy a whole new set.
No. you can not convert a 10x135 wheel to anything 150mm, you can only change out the axle/endcaps (i.e. 10mm/12mm/saint/qr/etc).

banrider said:
does anybody know how much weight the floater adds to the frame??
I was told it adds 352g. (however you then don't need the rear adapter, and two less bolts so that will save you about 40-50g)

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
okay, cheers for the info...I suppose the extra weight will be worth the performance....:cheers::cheers:

No. you can not convert a 10x135 wheel to anything 150mm, you can only change out the axle/endcaps (i.e. 10mm/12mm/saint/qr/etc).

I was told it adds 352g. (however you then don't need the rear adapter, and two less bolts so that will save you about 40-50g)

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Damn. I have deemax's on the bike now, but the 108 hadley's feel so much better. Looks like I'm gonna need a 12x150 frame now.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Damn. I have deemax's on the bike now, but the 108 hadley's feel so much better. Looks like I'm gonna need a 12x150 frame now.
The Blindside frame is 135mm if you didn't know.

You can get dropouts for 10mm or 12mm. Their floating disc brake uses a 12mm axle but i suppose you could replace that with a 10mm one.

108pt Hadley's aren't made anymore if you're talking about buying them now (they are 72pt now).

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
how much is that, then??:disgust1::disgust1: , the reason I'm asking this is because I want to replace my fat Banshee Scream frame with something lighter and I wonder how much weight Im supposed to save buying a BS....
i believe its the weight of 27 Katie Courics.. hahaha:busted: awesome episode... and i have no idea about the floater

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
The Blindside frame is 135mm if you didn't know.

You can get dropouts for 10mm or 12mm. Their floating disc brake uses a 12mm axle but i suppose you could replace that with a 10mm one.

108pt Hadley's aren't made anymore if you're talking about buying them now (they are 72pt now).
Ok, thats where I was confused. I was thinking it was 10x135, but you needed 12x150 to run the floater.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Ok, thats where I was confused. I was thinking it was 10x135, but you needed 12x150 to run the floater.
AH. no, they're saying you need a 12x150mm axle not a 12x150mm hub. The Blindside takes a 135mm hub. The floating brake attaches to the outside of the axle (not inside the dropouts).

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Just finished my first ride on my new blindside I would say the floater is not needed my last bike a Yeti ASX was way worse for brake jack.
I would save the money and ride it first you can always get it later.
I do have a couple of problems with the bike though the main pivot behind the bb is very small and uses the same size bearings as the rest of the pivots this leads to a very flexy rear end,the chain stays are very wide so your feet rub the stays when you are pedalling,and lastly the bb height on the web site is 14.2 inches my measured bb height 13.5 inches which meens it corners great but you cannot pedal in a rough section of trail or you will be bashing your cranks.
Over all I really like it but I hope they beef up the main pivot for next year and make the bb shell larger.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
After riding it for about 8 days, I think I will get a floater for mine. In california on some trails with really tight or steep turns I did notice the bike standing up under braking. In bootleg however, it wasnt really an issue, so it kind of depends on the style of trail you ride. If its really steep or really tight, the floater would be nice for sure. If its more open, the kind of place where you are just tapping brakes here and there, not really an issue.

cmoney, what kinda of fork are you running? I am running a 40 as low as it can go in the crowns with a flush mount headset and my bb is at 13.9, right where I want it. I suspect with a 888 or a boxxer set at the recommended 8 1/4 of stanction, the 14.2 measurement would be right on. Im not sure how you ended up at 13.5, but that would make it pretty hard to pedal. As for flexiness, it isnt the stiffest frame ever, but I can say for sure the back end is stiffer than my socom was last year. During riding, I never noticed any tangible deflection. I got a little bit of heel rub on my stays after riding in the mud for a week, but never actaully felt my feet hitting. This depends alot on how your feet are naturally angled.

Poindexter

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
how much is that, then??:disgust1::disgust1: , the reason I'm asking this is because I want to replace my fat Banshee Scream frame with something lighter and I wonder how much weight Im supposed to save buying a BS....
You could run a floater avy full suspen front and rear, Minions with heavyduty tubes a couple of mansonary bricks and you would still be 10lbs lighter than your scream......lol

Poindexter

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
AH. no, they're saying you need a 12x150mm axle not a 12x150mm hub. The Blindside takes a 135mm hub. The floating brake attaches to the outside of the axle (not inside the dropouts).
Take it easy jason we all can't be test riders bro.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I am running a totem but the axle to crown is exactly what they list on the web site for geometry so I am a little confused as to how I ended up with 13.5 inch bb height?Oh well it sure corners nice can't wait to really get it in a dh setting but cannot right now as there is to much snow.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I am running a totem but the axle to crown is exactly what they list on the web site for geometry so I am a little confused as to how I ended up with 13.5 inch bb height?Oh well it sure corners nice can't wait to really get it in a dh setting but cannot right now as there is to much snow.
That is weird, the totem should be fine. The only other things that can really effect bb is tire choice and headset stack height. Got me.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
A bit off topic, but what springrate is everyone running on their blindside? your weight and frame size appreciated along with how you like your bike set up, i.e. soft or stiff
jason at sicklines is 180lb and i think he told me hes rockin the 500lb on a dhx for downhill

brad at spectrum is also 180-190 and hes runnin a 550 on a roco and does mostly freeride. 15-20ft drops

im about 170 and gonna go for the 500, maaybe 450. also need to find out what people are running on the vivids