Quantcast

Blindside V1 vs. V2

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ok, so I got rid of my V2 Dirtbag and built up a V1 ('08) Blindside just a couple months ago. I've been loving it for the most part. This weekend I came across a great deal on a V2 ('09) frame in the same size. Assuming I can almost breakeven if I buy the V2 and sell my V1, there's not much spent except some wrenching (I don't mind since I have the tools/time), is there any reason NOT to "upgrade?"

Also, I did some research but didn't see any definitive info. on what changed from the V1 to the V2. Looks like all the same geo, tubing, sizing, etc...with new colors. Obviously they changed the upper shock mount, but not sure on why? Also I read that the rear triangle is stiffer, but what did they change? Anything else changed?

Thanks in advance guys!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Edit, sorry I didn't realize there were two previous versions. I was just on a trip and all my buddies have Blindsides (4 of them) one with the brand new V3 model and the rest with varying ages of older models. I didn't notice any differences between the older ones, but the V3 has many changes.

I don't remember if it had adjustable rear suspension travel on the V1/V2, but the V3 does. The V3 has a straight seat tube and no longer has the floating brake mount. The V3 changed the rear pivots near the rear axle to double shear instead of the cheesy single shear arrangement of the V1/V2, which is probably where the gain in stiffness comes from.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
you are talking about the new v3

the v1 had the headtube gusset at the shock mount. the v2 did not, and had thicker tubing in the rear triangle.

overall basically the same bike as i remember it.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I think to answer your original question, I don't see much reason in upgrading between the V1 and V2 models since they are so similar. I also don't see any reason not to upgrade, but it just seems like a waste. Now going from the V1 to V3 would be a different story, and I would say yes for sure.

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hear you...I'm def debating myself, whether it's worth the trouble of transferring all the components and dealing with selling a frame, for not much of an upgrade really. If only I could afford a V3 lol...then again if I had that budget, I'd prob pick up either a Commie Supreme 1 or Tranny TR250 instead.