Quantcast

Blindside- What Rear Shock?

I've done a few searches and read about both the Fox DHX 5.0 and the Rock Shox Vivid 5.1. I have the DHX on a bike now and like it, just wanting to try something different.
What are the opinions on the Rock Shox Vivid 5.1?
What about the new Fox DHX RC4?

I'd love to put a Cane Creek Double Barrel on it, but a bit out of the price range.

I'm 5'10" 185lbs. usually run a 400#spring. I like a bit of sag and a slower rebound

Any warranty differences that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There not going to kill your warranty for running something other than the DHX, as long as it isnt something custom or crazy modified or anything like that.

If you like the DHX, stick with it. Vivid is a damn nice shock, Def not a bad way to go. Really comes down to what you want to spend.

Sry- I was talking about the Shock Warranty.

I can get the DHX 5.0 & Vivid for about the same price. I was curious to see if it was worth it change to the Vivid 5.1 or to go up to the RC4/Double Barrel.

I usually don't mess to much with my fork/shock once it's dialed in and I don't race. Just ride hard.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have a vivid on mine and like it, I didn't want propedal or an air pressure adjustment(don't want to have to check it all the time). vivid is a poor man's double barrel. anyways i have no complaints, I weigh 185ish plush a few pounds of gear and run a #500, could possibly run a #450 though.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I've read on here that the Fox's develop pretty bad stiction. I have no idea if this is true, or just people bashing on Fox for no reason. That being said, the DHX 5.0 on my friend's DirtBag feels like poo. I've never tried a vivid, but the DHX doesn't impress me.

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
I've had the Vivid on my Blindside for one season now and still love it. I've had a few bikes with dhx's previously. Never tried the CC but I hear nothing but praise. The DHX is a great shock but I do like the two rebounds on the Vivid. Nice and slow on the rebound for the big hits and faster for the small stuff. I also set it and forget it with the settings. I weigh 210 - 215 and ride a 600# spring that sets me at about 30-35% sag.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've had the Vivid on my Blindside for one season now and still love it. I've had a few bikes with dhx's previously. Never tried the CC but I hear nothing but praise. The DHX is a great shock but I do like the two rebounds on the Vivid. Nice and slow on the rebound for the big hits and faster for the small stuff. I also set it and forget it with the settings. I weigh 210 - 215 and ride a 600# spring that sets me at about 30-35% sag.
Wow what a difference, I ride a 5th on mine with a 550 spring and I weigh 245-250 without gear and I am sitting right at 30% sag.

What tune is yours?
Anyone know what the Blindside Leverage Ratio is?
What tune for the Vivid would be best?

So I'm probably looking at a 400# or 450# then...?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I've read on here that the Fox's develop pretty bad stiction. I have no idea if this is true, or just people bashing on Fox for no reason. That being said, the DHX 5.0 on my friend's DirtBag feels like poo. I've never tried a vivid, but the DHX doesn't impress me.

Duuuuuuuude either the frame has stuffed pivots or the shock has been SERIOUSLY neglected and/or badly set-up, the DHX is a good shock

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
i had a vivid on my blindside, i am about 175lb with gear, and i love it. well loved it when i had my blindside, haha. ran a 450lb spring and it felt quite dialed for me. i messed around with a dhx as well on it while i was in whistler for a week, but the vivid was more enjoyable for me, seems as though i could dial it into my liking a tad bit more. and i could actually change the settings around with no air pump which was convenient.

my 2 cents is to try the vivid out unless you have the cash for a double barrel.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I went with a 400 spring on my DHX 5.0 mounted on my Medium Blindside and I'm about 165 with gear, 5'9". Very plush. Maybe a little on the soft side. I'm at about 35% sag.

.Eben.

Chimp
Mar 31, 2009
Save your money and get a stiffer spring. I weigh about the same and ran a 550# on my Blindside. A "stiff and slow" suspension set up is really nice.