Quantcast

Blisters in the fingers

amirh1

Chimp
Jan 3, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
Hi all,
so this is a repeat problem and maybe somebody has a good solution. Always after a long day riding DH my hands get blisters on the inside of the fingers where they connect to the hand. This also happens on a 4-hour all-mountain ride, but riding DH at the bike park accelerates it to a point where it's really affecting my ability to grip the bars.

I've got good gloves and I believe they're the right size - not too tight and not too much slack. Still, since I think I'm not the only one, then a couple of questions:
  • What's the best preventive care to help delay blisters?
  • Is there some cream or somethin' that helps the blisters soften up and heal faster?

Thanks!

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
I use coachtape. I use it where I usually get blisters before I get them. It works well (you might still get blisters if you ride lets say 1 week of DH, but much less than without it).

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
my hands blister there only on the first few rides each spring. after that they develop callouses. when a callous gets big enough it causes problems and at that point I use emery boards to sand down the callous. this works best right after you wash your hands, when the skin is a bit softer. get emery boards at the drug store or grocery, in the section where ladies' nail polish stuff is. I have to sand down my callouses at least every 2 weeks during riding season.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Try these. I get blisters really bad on my thumbs and where my thumb connects to my hand. Usually on AM/XC rides I can avoid them, but in less than 3 runs at Northstar, I blister so bad that they bleed.

These will help:

(Target offers their own brand which are way cheaper and come in a rectangular shape). Oh, and I've been riding for 4 years, and I still get blisters sometimes.