Quantcast

Block Island mopeds

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
has anyone been to Block Island RI recently? wife and I are planning a little day trip out there and want to rent some mopeds. yeah, yeah, i know; take the regular bike, but she is less into biking all day than am I.
I cant seem to find addresses of the moped rentals down there and their proximity to the ferry docks. the one place that had a website is $80 for 4 hrs! Over on the Vineyard, its like $35 all day.
Who has been here and better yet, who has rented mopeds on this rock?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
It's not like the Vineyard... much smaller. Plus they like to keep things a little lower key out there. They do have Mopeds... but I only saw a few (hence the $80). Personally never rented one though...

Biking is the way to go, even if you have to get a tandem and let her coast. :D My Wife and I did the entire island on bikes in about 3 hours.

Another idea is to see if you could rent the mopeds on the mainland and take them on the ferry. I know they don't allow cars... but maybe you could get the mopeds over?

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Originally posted by Slugman

Biking is the way to go, even if you have to get a tandem and let her coast. :D My Wife and I did the entire island on bikes in about 3 hours.

we did that a few years when we went out to PTown, it was fun, but we almost killed ourselves more than once.
i may still lobby for the bikes, its only 3 miles across, how far could we possibly need to ride.
and according to my awesome topo program, the highest climb is a whole 50 feet.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
sail out to block alot. I've done the moped thing and the bike thing. The rentals are RIGHT at the docks in the "Salt water pond" anchorage. The island isn't huge....but it's not flat either...a non biker prolly wouldn't have fun. Hit up the freshwater ponds for a nice swim...go to the bluffs....but Block is ALL ABOUT THE BAR HOP!