Quantcast

Blood pressure question/input needed.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hey All--

Well, as this is a most excellent Friday here in the Tahoe area, I can only hope the same for all of you. Too bad I have to spend the day indoors working for "da man" and not being on the trails.

Yesterday, my employer was having a blood drive, and I wanted to donate. I was unable to, since my pressure was 173/108. Ok, so I know that's high, and it's been averaging about 150/100 since X-mas. I feel it has a lot to do with my lack of exercise, lousy diet, and weight gain since 24/Pueblo '06. Stress may also have something to do with it, since the finances have been in a turmoil for the past couple of months.

Who else has had to deal with high blood pressure, whether personally, family, or friends? What were the solutions that were used? I feel if I change the above-mentioned 4, it sure would help. I'm going to see our health and wellness clinic at work today, hopefully for medications, though my wife would rather I didn't take any and worked on diet/exercise. Oh, and with the depression I'm still feeling (how long does it take to get over losing Alaina?), I was put on Paxil to deal with that. Should I be aware of any conflicts with the 2 medications?

Thanks for any input you all pass my way. See you on the trails sometime!!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Sh1t man, you never really get over a loss like that. My dad and brother died 13 and 20 years ago and I still haven't gotten over it. And it's only been four years for you, yeah?

I think you should stop expecting to "get over it". That's not an excuse to slide into a depression and quit on life and your wife. I'm just sayin', you'll never forget.

As for blood pressure, yeah, try to do the healthy stuff first, but of course you should consult your doctor, especially when combining meds.

Also, if you've been on Paxil for four years, you need to talk to your other doctor about that.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You really should talk to a physician about this, they are the best source for information and recommendations.... end of disclaimer.

I'd be for the natural treatment, rather than drugs to lower your BP. Diet and exercise can go a long way (and will likely help with the depression too). If you've made legitimate changes and don't see results after 3-6 months, then meds might be the solution. This is assuming you don't have pressing health issues that would require you to lower the BP quickly (again, best determined by a physician).

If you do go the meds route, be sure to mention the other meds you're currently taking to whoever prescribes them. And maybe tell the pharmacist too, that way you don't get meds that are contraindicated.

Good Luck!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I would try to get off any medication that your on now that isn't being used to keep you alive. then get back to exercise and a proper diet.

Your health is the only thing you really have. take care of it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I would try to get off any medication that your on now that isn't being used to keep you alive.
I agree, but anti-depression meds might very well be keeping him alive. Not saying that you were saying otherwise, just sayin' :)

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
my BP has been up that high but is lately has been lower, around 145/90.

Doctor's have me on meds for my high bp but that's because they concluded it was stress induced. Eating healthy and excersising will help of course, but if the lack of that is not causing the hypertension then it will not fix it. Just my thoughts after dealing with it for a couple years now.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I'm for trying the no med approach too, if possible.

In addition to exercise and diet you might throw in a little meditation too.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I suffer from a couple things that lead to high BP. namely poor genetics.

The last time I was at the DR for my busted knee I tested at 156/95 and the nurse was pretty insitant about the doctor checking me out and called the number "abnormally high" The doc came in a checked it again and it was 142/85 and he said it was probably nerves but to buy a cuff and keep a log. He said to keep it under 140/80 and if it stayed above that for over a month to come in and it was time for the drugs.

I have been averaging 135-8/70-75 since then. I have not changed my diet but have cut caffine out except for lunchtime at work. I have not started working out since my knee is still borked but therapy starts next week and I'm hoping that leads to a rebirth at the gym.

I would start by buying a BP monitor at your local drug store. Cutting out caffine and changing the diet. With your BP as high as it is I would do some walking first and see the doc before the running/ hard riding starts.

BigT

Chimp
I work in cardiac rehab. High BP is considered anything above 130/80.
Both # are important. 1 out of 2 people over the age of 40 in the US hhave high BP.

It is caused by several factors:(1) genetics, (2) lack of exercise, (3) high salt diet and/or (4) excessive caffiene. Diet and exercise may not be enough to control high BP. You should consult your doctor. High BP if not treated can cause strokes, enlarged heart or a heart attack. Don't fool around with it. Doctors call high BP the silent killer for a reason.

I have seen people started on BP meds and with weight loss and diet, they get off the medications.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
imo 170/108 is not going to be controlled solely through diet and exercise alone. and pnj, recommending implicitly that he stop his antidepressant without knowing the guy is very sketchy advice.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Get your ass to a doctor.

Yeah, you can change some lifestyle stuff, which is great, but how many people say they are going to do that and don't...

You may want to start looking at some kind of therapy or counseling, as well, but it's not going to help you to get over that and then have a heart attack at 55 when you're doing better.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Simply stopping any antidepressant is usually bad isn't it? You need to ween yourself off most of them. I would think the advice of your/a doctor is what you should be seeking. Talk to your family atleast....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
OK All-- First and foremost, I want to thank all of you for posting and giving me some feedback. It is extremely appreciated on my end.

I saw the wellness clinic at work today. Same doc as before, and the one that put me on Paxil. For the record, I've only been on it for about a week, though I was on Lexipro for about 5 months before. I was also on both for a few months after Alaina left to help with the rollercoaster I was on. I did stop cold turkey, and only started again as the scariest of Alaina's b-days is coming up this year-- the one where she'll be gone the same amount of time as she was alive. It is helping to be on them, though I do want to stop when the time is right.

Now, as Silver said, I did get my ass to the doc to take care of this. When I told her I was measured at 173/108, she didn't even hesitate to put me on some medication. 10mg's at first, then to try 20mg's in about a week. They give free BP checks, so I'll be stopping in to see if it's working.

Funny thing is, when I was first measured at 150/100, I knew the reasons why (diet, no exercise, weight gain), and the cure would be to change each. Yes, I was stubborn and thought I could do it. Again, Silver, you hit it on the money. Wanting to do and doing are very different. I have cut out the Red Bull, added more fruit/veg to diet, started riding again (though not far yet, of course), and have even tried the meditation.

I know this will not be an overnight fix, as I have been "bad" for what, a year-ish now? It'll take time and patience, and in the end, I want to do the Payson Stampede next year. So that can be my goal, as well as a sub-130/80. As much as I want to be with Alaina, it must be her voice I hear saying, "Not yet, Daddy".

Again, thank you all..................................

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Start small dude. Make small, manageable changes: Start with making one of your daily meals a healthy one, do something like 2 x 20 minute brisk walks every day.

Exercise and diet can make very, very big differences to both your mood and blood pressure.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
For the record, I've only been on it for about a week, though I was on Lexipro for about 5 months before. I was also on both for a few months after Alaina left to help with the rollercoaster I was on. I did stop cold turkey, and only started again as the scariest of Alaina's b-days is coming up this year-- the one where she'll be gone the same amount of time as she was alive. It is helping to be on them, though I do want to stop when the time is right.
I've heard it takes a good year on the meds to create a positive, permanent change in life. Check with your doctor and follow their instructions to the letter. Do not stop when you feel better, cuz that might be temporary, stop when they say.