Quantcast

Bloody Noses: It's that time of the year?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Anyone else get their usual skull periods about this time of year? Gets cold and dry out and I start man-struating from the sinuses. Incredibly frustrating.

...they need to make midget tampons so that they can also be used for noses.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you are heating your home with wood its a good idea to keep a kettle of water on top of the fire.

Saline nasal sprays or rinses will also reduce the need for nasal tampons. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We have a whole house humidifier that helps a lot but for a few weeks commuting in the freezing temps, I was bleeding a fair amount.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have only used the fireplace sparingly as our heat bill is very reasonable and most the wood I have cut is green yet. Dont think that's the root of the issue as this has been an annual occurance for as long as I can remember. Just curious if others had similar issues.

...although as a kid all we had was wood heat, and I do recall that exacerbating the problem.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SM's not saying that wood is the problem as much as he's saying take advantage of the direct heat to steam off water and increase the humidity

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Random nose bleeds never happened to me when I lived in Kansas, but when I moved to Montana it happens a couple times a Winter. Last night at work I was talking with my boss and my nose just started bleeding for no reason.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I get bloody noses occasionally in the winter. Last time it happened while at the gym. I got some interesting looks from people as I just thought it was sweat at first.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
yep every once in a while.

since having kids, we use a (cold air) humidifier and it seams to be helping a bunch.

hey brianHCM#1,
is that Ben Kweller? :clapping: nice find!

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
had this problem for a while and it seems to be going away in the last couple of years. it used to be as much as every day - usually about 8am (heard this was because of circadian rhythms). it definitely got worse if i took ibuprofen. now i only get them a few times a winter. nasal spray, humidifiers (at night), steamy showers in the morning, a bit of vasoline on a q-tip smeared up there, and keeping my fingers out of it seemed to help.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I just get the bloody nose boogers, not the heavy flow.

I enjoy feeding them to the dog, as he treats them as a delicacy.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I've had bloody noses since I was a kid to the point of embarrassment and sometime dizziness(loss of blood? or just frustration???). As a teenager, I even had one nostril cauterized. Anyway, for the past couple years I've been going to bed with a warm mist humidifier running and my nose bleeds have basically stopped. Every once in a while I basically test this by not running the humidifier at night and the bleeds return.

It's worth the $40 for an inexpensive humidifier. Definitely give it a try.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Seriously, lay off the blow. You can afford a little better street walker if you aren't having to pick up some of Bolivia's finest in the process, and its almost as much fun.

Besides, you don't want to be the guy rambling on blow at 1 in the morning in a public bathroom to the stall next to you...