Quantcast

Bloom Box unveil today.... Fluff or holy grail?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Anyone following this?

After 400 Mil and 10 years, a public unveiling today.

"Bloom Energy, a Sunnyvale startup that has been working for years on a fuel cell that would allow homes and businesses to generate their own electricity, officially unveiled its so-called Bloom Box at a highly orchestrated media event Wednesday morning."

It will be interesting to see how far this goes. Already, Google, eBay and many other big companies are trying out the solution...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Looks promising. One of the local news stations, KNTV (who, of course, is offering "special coverage") claims to be 70% powered by only 4 of these large units.

I'd love for it to be true. LOVE.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
...replace the hydrogen with nearly any fuel source (likely natural gas in most cases)

What's not clear to me, is if net-metering laws will allow a homeowner to connect this device to the grid, cause the grid aint going anywhere anytime soon...

Last edited:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wow pretty interesting! So this thing can run off of your existing gas line?

It's obviously clean, I wonder how efficient it is?
They say it uses roughly 50% less natural gas...

With natural gas being relatively cheap (~.50/therm) - payback/breakeven would certainly be out there for residential application at the estimated $3,000 cost that they might arrive at in 5-10 years.

... but a step in the right direction.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What's not clear to me, is if net-metering laws will allow a homeowner to connect this device to the grid, cause the grid aint going anywhere anytime soon...
i dont see why not. people with other forms of self generating power supplies can, why cant the people who adopt this do it?

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
i dont see why not. people with other forms of self generating power supplies can, why cant the people who adopt this do it?
Yeah, it may be just that easy. I should have clarified some though,in the residential (single family setting) currently in most states, the only accepted form of net metered energy is renewable energy (wind & solar), and recently, a few states passed Micro-CHP net-metering legislation. Maybe allowing fuel cells will be just be a formality (with all this "smart grid" talk) but not too long ago net-metering was only allowing renewable energy in a residential setting...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah, it may be just that easy. I should have clarified some though,in the residential (single family setting) currently in most states, the only accepted form of net metered energy is renewable energy (wind & solar), and recently, a few states passed Micro-CHP net-metering legislation. Maybe allowing fuel cells will be just be a formality (with all this "smart grid" talk) but not too long ago net-metering was only allowing renewable energy in a residential setting...
ah gotcha. i know some states also allow usage of hydro electric power. ive seen a few interviews about people's homes that use a creek or river on their property to help generate power via a small turbine and they pipe power back onto the grid.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
I don't give a rat's a$$ about selling power back... I just want one to power my backcountry cabin in the mountains. :cool:
If you're referring to the fuel cell,it still needs a steady supply of fuel...

Net-metering isn't about selling back, rather it's about offsetting net energy purchased from the grid, and keeping installed system cost low. For photovoltaic systems, net-metering has made installing on-site (renewable) energy production much more affordable, and thus makes financial considerations more attractive, since the cost of energy storage is not required (batteries, charge controller etc).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When a Palo Alto woman hits one with her Prius while executing a 25 point U-turn, it will fireball like Bloom Energy's chances to succeed.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
tl:dw
I know how fuel cells work (kind of), and I know that this is one, but I'm fuzzy on the whole pitch.
Tell me if I'm wrong.

Soo, you buy one of these huge expensive boxes.
Then you pour a bunch of propane into it.
Then it gives you electricity.
But it's more expensive than regular electricity.

Is this meant to replace back-up generators or something? I think I'm missing the point.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I guess there's some advantage to having your own generator. I'll have to ask my buddy who manages the power in New York State.