Quantcast

Blowing minds again (hook story)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Well, Cap'n Hook (me) was at it again on Saturday night / Sunday morning. Me and the crew from CoRE headed down to a warehouse party in the South Bay, primarily attended by Burning Man types. We were there in support of a fire-performance group that had helped us out with supplies for an earlier show. There were aerielists, fire spinners, a hooka lounge, and topless bartenders. I didn't get to see much because I was backstage for the bulk of the night.

I did a "rebirth" which is six points down the back, three on each side of the spine from the shoulder to the waist, which held me almost upright, but with a slight lean forward. We had some dark and heavy beats playing in the background, and I had about 20 minutes of active running/swinging around, followed by about 40 minutes of hanging out delicately on display 15 feet in the air.

The crowd couldn't believe what they saw (which may have been enhanced by whatever chemicals they may have ingested), and I heard all sorts of statements of disbelief and amazement while I was up :confused: :eek: :shocked:

The real crowd pleaser was when I called my grrrlie out of the crowd, grabbed her around the waist, and lifted her off the ground with me. It was about that time that I heard "Holy sh!t, this is really happening, right now!"
:weee::weee::weee:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
So as I understand, they punctured 6 holes in your back via hooks and spun you around in the air? Then you picked up your girl and flew around with her too?

:confused:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'll post a link to pics (so people have to decide to click on them) once i get some.

So as I understand, they punctured 6 holes in your back via hooks and spun you around in the air? Then you picked up your girl and flew around with her too?

:confused:
you correctly understand the nature of the transaction.

I think that is the silliest thing that I've ever heard of. But you seem to enjoy it, so I give you props for doing what you like. :thumb:
thanks for supporting the love of the silly. i know it is strange to most, but has meaning to me. i can't lie, i love the shock value. part of that is just the power of making people cringe, part of that is knowing that you've made some people reconsider what is possible. i also turn that inward and realize that i can push myself beyond what i understand "reality" to be. there are fewer boundaries than we think there are, and the only way to know where the real ones are is to push yourself. i have a tendency to waiver on making decisions and over-think things, i even back out because i don't feel like something will be a sure-thing for success. the hook shows force me to put up or shut up. once i've agreed to do it, there is no turning back, and i need to deal with the consequences of my actions.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Do you stitch up the holes when you are done or have you done some sort of body mod where you have skin-tags on your back? It sounds like you have done this before.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So when are you gonna be on TV?
i'm gonna be on tv in july for playing bass, but not for my hook skills. though, i'd do a hook tv show.

Do you stitch up the holes when you are done or have you done some sort of body mod where you have skin-tags on your back? It sounds like you have done this before.
i've been doing this for two years now, and i work with a group that has been doing it for 10 years, the founder of which is widely known in the body mod community. all of our piercing department personnel are well trained, and most of them are pro body piercers as their day job. the holes don't need stitches unless they tear, which is a risk of doing this. we have safety precautions to minimze the likelyhood of that, and to handle it when it does happen so the damage to the performer is minimized. in most cases, you clean and bandage the wounds and they heal up on their own in a few days. the scars left behind can be almost invisible, they can keloid, or they end up somewhere inbetween. we are taught how to care for the wounds to minimize the scaring.

as an aside, CoRE does do private suspensions (for a fee) for those interested in trying it. we also know groups around the country and the world that i can put you in touch with if you want to see this type of performance in person.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it is a high infection risk. also, it is hard to get the piercing sites to heal open, though Fakir Musafar (google with care - NSFW) has done it. of course, the rush from the piercing is half the fun.
I kinda figured as much, I just wanted to make a fistulated cow joke, and the opportunity presented itself.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have seen these before at the tattoo expos. Not something I would try and I think you're nuts (in a good way) for doing it, but it's damn cool to watch. :)

It's amazing what the body can do.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have seen these before at the tattoo expos. Not something I would try and I think you're nuts (in a good way) for doing it, but it's damn cool to watch. :)

It's amazing what the body can do.
:stupid:
Not my cup of tea, I already have all of the "body modification" I'm ever gonna need, but my hat is off to you sir. Bravo!

*edit, you used to have a link to CoRE in your signature, some of these guys looking for pics might want to check out that. What happened to it?

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
:stupid:
Not my cup of tea, I already have all of the "body modification" I'm ever gonna need, but my hat is off to you sir. Bravo!

*edit, you used to have a link to CoRE in your signature, some of these guys looking for pics might want to check out that. What happened to it?
ahh, i took some time away from CoRE (and my band) and the CoRE site was getting revamped. for those that want to see it - wearecore.com

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My brother did some of that when he was in his training/research phase before opening Staircase Tattoo. I will never understand it, but he seemed to enjoy it and if you do, then good for you.

I can do without pics, thanks.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
btw - gifs do work, you just need to click on them to get them to animate (at least on my browser).
Yeah, I know they work that way but the shock/laugh value is dead by then. I prefer it to load automatically and bog down your browser.