Quantcast

Blown 2006 Boxxer Ride..

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Yes I did a forum search and found a "blown boxxer" thread back from 2004..

I have a 2006 Boxxer Ride that has blown its rebound (for quite some time) and leaking oil from the right leg..

I have purchased 10wt "pitstop" sram fork oil...
i have the proper tools to rebuild ( snap ring wrench, plastic syringe, exc exc.. not going to cut any corners )

When i do attempt to rebuild my fork, i will either have the Sram .pdf boxxer rebuild technical manual either printed out or on a laptop right next to the work bench...

I am aware that changing fork oil and fixing a blown fork are two seperate things...

When I am taking apart my boxxer... what will i be looking for that concludes that my boxxer is blown? a plastic sleeve out of place? loose screw? an o-ring snapped? what exactly is a "blown fork" ( a fork that has oil coming out and has no adjustable rebound..just really fast rebound )

sorry for dumping questions on you guys.. i just want to learn from the guys who know the most ( ridemonkey forum ).. not the half-witted local bike shop guys who will charge me gobs of money :D

appreciate it

jordan

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It is nearly impossible to have the rebound damper 'blow' on a 2006 boxxer.

Is the oil leaking from the dust seal on the right leg?

It sounds like something different has happened, like a bad o-ring somewhere. Do you have compression dampening?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
yeah, bad o-ring, something broken, etc... you hust have to take it apart and look it over, RS has drawings of how everything should look.

For us to help, we'd need to know exactly where oil is leaking from and you need to make sure there is 5wt damping oil in the top right leg, specs on quantity are on RS website. If there is no damping oil, rebound and compression damping will be gone.

I have an '06 Ride, IMO you're better off converting it to a Team. You can buy the parts for about $100 and changing from Team to Ride spring takes 15 min. The Ride spring is progressive, uses elastomers to do it, and you'll never see the last inch of travel unless you huck off the empire state building.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I have an '06 Ride, IMO you're better off converting it to a Team. You can buy the parts for about $100 and changing from Team to Ride spring takes 15 min. The Ride spring is progressive, uses elastomers to do it, and you'll never see the last inch of travel unless you huck off the empire state building.

i did a google search of " 2006 boxxer ride to team" or just "rockshox boxxer conversion" and no such luck.
the only thing i found was some conversion to world cup.. and people said sram does not do this anymore( they say it is cheaper to buy a race or team and buy the conversion to WC then to just buy the WC )

I DO have compression adjustment...:confused:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Converting your Ride to a WC is super simple. I have outlined the instructions below.

1) purchase my 2008 Boxxer WC in perfect working condition
2) sell your 2006 Ride to some twit on pinktrike
3) ride and be merry

Steps 2 and 3 are interchangeable, you can do them in any order.:D

:spam:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I DO have compression adjustment...:confused:

That does not make much sense. I am still going to guess that a o-ring broke on the seal housing causing all the oil to sit in the lowers. It is still a bit odd that oil is leaking at the seals? Those suckers must be worn as hell for oil to pass the oil seal and dust wipers.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
The cause of your rebound damping failure is, most likely, the snap ring that keeps the rebound seal head in the bottom of stanchion. It has probably disengaged from the groove where it sat before, the rebound seal head broke off the stanchion, squirting your damping oil into the lowers and resulting in complete loss of any damping.
You still have adjusters to turn, but the dampers don't work anymore because the oil is not flowing in desired manner.
Easiest fix is to take the snap ring and put it in its place, with the sharper edge facing the bottom of stanchion.
However, the groove may already be blunt/stripped, preventing the snap ring from keeping the rebound assembly inside the stanchion, so it all will happen again.
Moreover, the rebound rod may have been scored. Make sure all is intact before putting the fork back together! You may also need to change the two o-rings on your seal head, as a safety measure.
My 06 ride had the same issue but I fixed it immediately before any further damage could have occured. Don't be tempted to cycle the fork hard or even ride it, though I presume you've already done this before, hence the shot seal/wiper.
After you fix the rebound and fill with 150ml damping oil, make sure to replace the seal and wiper, worn of high pressure in the lower leg, clogged with damping oil.

Last edited:

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
Yes I did a forum search and found a "blown boxxer" thread back from 2004..

I have a 2006 Boxxer Ride that has blown its rebound (for quite some time) and leaking oil from the right leg..

I have purchased 10wt "pitstop" sram fork oil...
i have the proper tools to rebuild ( snap ring wrench, plastic syringe, exc exc.. not going to cut any corners )

When i do attempt to rebuild my fork, i will either have the Sram .pdf boxxer rebuild technical manual either printed out or on a laptop right next to the work bench...

I am aware that changing fork oil and fixing a blown fork are two seperate things...

When I am taking apart my boxxer... what will i be looking for that concludes that my boxxer is blown? a plastic sleeve out of place? loose screw? an o-ring snapped? what exactly is a "blown fork" ( a fork that has oil coming out and has no adjustable rebound..just really fast rebound )

sorry for dumping questions on you guys.. i just want to learn from the guys who know the most ( ridemonkey forum ).. not the half-witted local bike shop guys who will charge me gobs of money :D

appreciate it

jordan

curious what you found?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
did not find anything because i did not know what i was looking for!:D

i did take apart the fork, inspected the carts ( compared them to the rebuild .pdf on Sram website ) put new oil in. there was a black o-ring

havnt gotten on my bike yet cause this doosh in california does not know how to send a rear shock :mad:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
whaa say youuu haha

no i did not have it serviced before, ya i know, spank me.

its most likely shot internally... once i get my bike all buttoned up, and my fork still feels "unsatisfactory-to-racer-boi standards" then ill worry about it then.

when the fork was on the frame and tested the rebound, it worked. so idk

Just a heads up but the 15w lube oil in the lowers is a small volume and needs to be changed often as it gets dirty and low .
When it is 2 low then u are gonna have premature wear on those dry moving parts.
Another tip would be to use some SRAM judy butter or slick honey to coat the bushings and seals b4 u reassemble the sliders back into the lowers.

As far as the team upgrade all u need is the MOCO assembly . U should have a blue knob on your right side fork cap and the TEAM version will have the blue knob and a gold knob for the "gate". That part is pretty cheap nowadays.
Not sure on the spring side though. Was the ride adjustable travel?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Not sure on the spring side though. Was the ride adjustable travel?
yeah, you need all the parts in the left leg for the team conversion, about $100... the ride has a u-turn spring. Changing out the damper isn't needed unless you want the upgrade. The Ride Moco will still work.

also... my Boxxer Ride / Team is for sale. $230 takes it. Has a Romic top crown and stem. Really scratched up but works well. :spam:

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Thread revivalllllllllllllllllllllll

Can anyone put up the list of parts needed to replace the ride's u-turn with a normal spring?

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Yeah, i have an '06. I'm looking at the spare parts catalog and it looks like i'll be needing more than just a spring and spring shaft assembly... The preload spacers seem to come only in a service kit. Since I don't need the whole kit, it's gonna be a PITA to find just the spacers :S