Quantcast

blown rc4??

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
the circlip that holds the compression dials in the shock body came out, but ONLY HALF of IT!!! (its a 2011 rc4 )

Anyone has experienced something similar? Y put it back but because of riding in the mud, the dirt in the groove of the shock body doesnt let the circlip clip right and it comes out again...

I think I have to completely rebuild it to clean the dirt out of the groove, but if someone has any advice I will apreciate it!

Thanks

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
This is not uncommon with the RC4s. Depressurise the shock, remove the circlip entirely, clean out the groove, then replace the circlip. There should be no need to fully tear down the shock to clean it out. Keep an eye on it though, once it happens once it is prone to happening again. If it becomes a recurring issue, contact your local FOX distributor.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
That was a problem w/ early RC4s. Call Fox, they **should** replace it.

There was not enough material to support the circlip groove and in some cases it busted a piece right out of the shock body and spewed oil everywhere. No easy fix but lots of janky ones if you search around (bailing wire wrap to hold it in, etc.).

You can try rebuilding and a new clip, but it will have a 99.9999% chance of happening again.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That was a problem w/ early RC4s. Call Fox, they **should** replace it.

There was not enough material to support the circlip groove and in some cases it busted a piece right out of the shock body and spewed oil everywhere. No easy fix but lots of janky ones if you search around (bailing wire wrap to hold it in, etc.).

You can try rebuilding and a new clip, but it will have a 99.9999% chance of happening again.
This is actually an issue with the 2nd gen RC4s - the first ones cracked around the circlip groove, which was subsequently reinforced, however the circlip strength itself (being a full overlap style) can sometimes be overwhelmed by the damping pressures generated in the shock, pushing it partially or entirely out of the groove. The new RC4s have only a single-layer, thicker circlip which is much stiffer and harder to deform out of the groove.

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
This is actually an issue with the 2nd gen RC4s - the first ones cracked around the circlip groove, which was subsequently reinforced, however the circlip strength itself (being a full overlap style) can sometimes be overwhelmed by the damping pressures generated in the shock, pushing it partially or entirely out of the groove. The new RC4s have only a single-layer, thicker circlip which is much stiffer and harder to deform out of the groove.
Thanks for the help!!
Tomorrow I will try to fix it and I will post a pic of the problem

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For reference, the actual neck assembly is the same between the 2nd and 3rd gen (2nd gen = taller lip above circlip groove, stronger), so you could just ask your local Fox distributor to install the new circlip in your (presumably 2nd gen) shock. The problem should not reoccur if you do that.

Simply cleaning the groove and reinstalling the old 2nd gen circlip probably won't stop it from happening again, and you risk losing the DSC adjuster assembly in the long term.

PsyCro

Chimp
Apr 10, 2011
Get it warrantied asap. My friend had this happen to him on his SX trail. At one moment behind me i heard a loud noise, figured a rock jumped up and hit his frame, but several seconds later i heard my friend screaming like a madman.. turned around expecting to see a broken leg or something, and saw him hurdling a large rock through the air! :rofl:
His shock had basically exploded and we searched for over 30min for the pieces thanks to that damn circlip.. lucky for his bike that rock was travelling in the opposite direction! :)

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
For reference, the actual neck assembly is the same between the 2nd and 3rd gen (2nd gen = taller lip above circlip groove, stronger), so you could just ask your local Fox distributor to install the new circlip in your (presumably 2nd gen) shock. The problem should not reoccur if you do that.

Simply cleaning the groove and reinstalling the old 2nd gen circlip probably won't stop it from happening again, and you risk losing the DSC adjuster assembly in the long term.
The isnt fox dealer in spain, and its a second hand rc4...