Quantcast

Blowout.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Have you ever had a car tire blowout while driving?
I did, yesterday evening. Talk about a shock. BOOM!
I caught a pothole a couple weeks ago and must have damaged the tire much more than I thought, and finally blew out a 2" hole in the sidewall last night. Good news was earlier in the day I was driving at highway speeds, but the blowout happened while turning the corner to get home. Lucky eh?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Never while driving, but I have had it happen on a bike. Landed a drop, and the rear tire exploded. That was fun.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yup.
Seven guys, 10 or so surfboards on the roof, racing along country roads.
Big bang and the car just lost it. Pulled up ok, but a bit shaken imagining the 'what-ifs'...

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
I had over #2000 in a 1/2 ton pickup, ran over some gravel on the road & got both rear tires at once. Very loud.. :imstupid:

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
On the way to work last year, my Bronco blew the front passenger tire. I was just getting on the bypass but was up to 55 or so when it happened. Going right was easy, left not so much. When I went to change tires, I found that the guy who sold the truck to me had security locks on the full size spare. Unfortunately, he neglected to give me the socket for it so I had to call a tow truck. Ugghhh..... what a pain that was. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Drifting my old supra, one of my front tires blew out and dug the rim into the asphalt. Car wipped around like my head in a strip club. Almost wrapped it around the light post. Loud as eff, but not as loud as me screaming "Ohhh SHHHHH!t"

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I actually thought this was going to be a another pooping-at-work thread, but I actually do have a story to contribute: Back in college in1994, I was riding with about 5 other people--crammed into an 87 LeSabre doing 65mph on our way back from a day at the beach. We were torching a pinner, and I heard a loud "BOOM!!" I was like "Damn....that was one big-assed seed in there." But, unfortunately it was the tire intead......Traffic whizzing by at breakneck speed, we could only make it to the center grassy median before the tire shredded itself to pebble-sized pieces. It was the most hair-raising tire change I've ever been a part of, and hope I don't ever have to repeat it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Drifting my old supra, one of my front tires blew out and dug the rim into the asphalt. Car wipped around like my head in a strip club. Almost wrapped it around the light post. Loud as eff, but not as loud as me screaming "Ohhh SHHHHH!t"
This means you were on a public road, as there are no lightpoles on a closed course.
That's just stupid.:disgust1:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Not me
But I've had a semi truck blow its rear tires while I was passing it.
Huge chunks of tire flying at my windshield and side window, that was fun...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had the front left go on a sweeping right hander on the freeway doing 65 in the left lane. I was in my '88 4Runner and it was a bitch to get over 3 lanes after I crapped myself.

I had a right rear blow on my '69 Chevy truck while pulling my 300zx on a trailer. I was turning left on a green arrow, so I was only doing about 15.