Quantcast

Blue Mountain Snow Race 01/09/10/Studded Tires

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
The race will be 4X / Mountain Cross style with 4 racers per heat on an saaweet course running down the mountain constisting of berms, drops, rollers, tabletops, double, etc. And the best part.....THE COURSE IS ENTIRELY MADE OF SNOW!!!!

There are no requirements for the type of bike you need, so bring your downhill hucker or your little sisters My Little Pony bike with the bell and basket.

When: Saturday, January 9, 2010
Where: Blue Mountain Ski Area
Palmerton, PA
Time: Registration is from 8am until 10am
Racing will start around 10.30am
Entry Fee: $20 per racer

Race is 4X style with 4 racers per heat. Top 2 racers per heat advance to the next round.

A helmet (and bike obviously) are required. Pads are optional but recommended.

Studded tires are permitted.

Check out the video of some of the previous years races.
Blue Mountain 4X Biker Cross on Vimeo

Blue Mountain 4X Biker Cross from Spinteck Limited on Vimeo.

This race is sponsored by the Eastern Schuylkill Recreation Commission (ESRC), Ed’s Course Designers, and Blue Mountain Ski Area. For additional information or to register, contact Blue Mountain Ski Area at (610) 826-7700.

[B]I'd love to see some pics of different studded tires? Anyone...anyone...[/B]

:thumb::weee::thumb::weee::thumb::weee:

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yeaaa! stoked for this race, raced it back in 2008. i was in the gate with lars when that guy havoliack ate it and got taken out. pretty scary site i must say! im trying to drag the boys out to this race this year since we will see be here on the EC!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2916231/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2916230/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2916218/

My spikes from last year. Not using those again though because they somehow scratched my frame even though I saw they had clearance. Well I guess they didn't have enough clearance...

They worked well, but not like I wanted them too. Maybe it is partly because of a slack head angle, but the bike wanted to dive out from underneath me on some of the jumps, but I think it was cause they were too skinny.

Don't know if I will make it out this year, but I hope so.

May 6, 2004
They worked well, but not like I wanted them too. Maybe it is partly because of a slack head angle, but the bike wanted to dive out from underneath me on some of the jumps, but I think it was cause they were too skinny.
I would say these were too long. If the track was entirely made of snow without any ice underneath I would rather go for mud tyres such as Michelin Mud 3 or something similar. In my opinion, metal spikes do not provide any benefits where the ice is not involved.

Back on topic, though.
Enjoy the race guys, I hope you have an awesome racing day :)

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Looks like fun. I don't want to misjudge the tabletops like the two other guys did though. Anyway who need spikes. Ice or 10 inches of snow, no spikes needed. Full treaded tires though.

Last edited:

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Looks like fun. I don't want to misjudge the tabletops like the two other guys did though. Anyway who need spikes. Ice or 10 inches of snow, no spikes needed. Full treaded tires though.

Have you actually done this with no spikes or are you thinking that it will work?

In the past few years the top guys at this race have had tire mods of some sort.

Of course that could be a coincidence but I'm skeptical. That is unless you have experience otherwise...?:confused: My experience limits me to this one race for the past 4-5 years and we always ran spikes.

If I was confident that regular tires would work I would definitely go that way. Spikes are a pain.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Dennis, I'll follow you out to this event!

I'm sick of riding the trainer and this seems like a good excuse to ride the bike outdoors. Have any of you run this track on a hardtail? My DH bike is in pieces getting ready for the '10 season so it looks like i'm going to slap a set of fresh rubbers on my hardtail.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Have you actually done this with no spikes or are you thinking that it will work?

In the past few years the top guys at this race have had tire mods of some sort.

Of course that could be a coincidence but I'm skeptical. That is unless you have experience otherwise...?:confused: My experience limits me to this one race for the past 4-5 years and we always ran spikes.

If I was confident that regular tires would work I would definitely go that way. Spikes are a pain.
Joe, when i ran it in 08, i think i was the last guy left racing without spikes and there were still a hand full of riders who ran spikes that placed in front of me, including neko and lars. but than again i went 3 rounds trying to beat out lars which is an awesome snow racer. maybe ill put some spikes in my mud 3s or some other tires i have floating around.

hmmm im wondering if i should run a 24" wheel in the back with huge 1 inch spikes!!! nah jk!!

evan, you can do it on a hard tail sure, i see people out there on bikes that shouldnt belong on a mountain period. lets take your whip!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ya, there was a guy with a street hardtail last year. Like almost no tread on back tire, back break only, etc... he did not get very far, and he might have been a good rider too. The problem here is that the racing doesn't rely on skill. You could be Lars, or Neko Mullaly, and still absolutely suck if you are trying to use some kenda block 8's, or maybe even dhr's and dhf's. Tire choice is underestimated.

Oh, and Lars's tires were soooo pimp! Wet screams with gold screw heads sticking up=teh sick.

My tires sucked a little, but I was wayyyyy faster in corners than some because of it. And it wasn't skill, it was traction.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
My tires sucked a little, but I was wayyyyy faster in corners than some because of it. And it wasn't skill, it was traction.
really? your tires sucked but you were faster? This is one of many instances of what you write being incoherent. Please take a minute to re-read and clarify what you wrote before posting. Thanks.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
evan, you can do it on a hard tail sure, i see people out there on bikes that shouldnt belong on a mountain period. lets take your whip!
My roof rack is only big enough for my snowboard attachment/fork mount. So unless you want to come over and throw on my Side-Arm as well, then by all means we will cruise together in my car.

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Are off-the-shelf tires worth looking at for this type of racing?
These schwables look pretty good..
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24563
Logan used a set of these last year and they worked quite well.

He is also one who thinks that spikes are unnecessary. However, when I asked him his plans for this year he is opting for some kind of tire mod similar to Lars'.

Lars uses sharp hex cap screws from the outside of a set of spikes where as most people went with a sheet metal screw from the inside out.

Lars' setup certainly looks tricker. I think that's the route I am going.

I like that there's no need for a tire liner as the screws never go completely throught to the inside. :thumb:

Anyone have any photos of this setup?

Wondering how many screws to use.:confused:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
really? your tires sucked but you were faster? This is one of many instances of what you write being incoherent. Please take a minute to re-read and clarify what you wrote before posting. Thanks.
Yo di** head... Quote where I said they made me slower. They just made the ride more out of control, especially off jumps and straights (excluding the bermed turns). I simply said "...but the bike wanted to dive out from underneath me on some of the jumps, but I think it was cause they were too skinny."

smoke brakes

Monkey
May 18, 2007
one step closer to the lord
few questions for them peps in the know

is course more suited for a full dh rig or hard-tail with 4 up front -
are there age groups - or a free for all - standard 4x format , first 2 in each heat move on
actual date sat the 9th 2010 ?- the vid link is a bit confusing
$20 - gets ride and slide -( a lift ticket for boarding as well ?) pretty cool
thanks

Last edited:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Ya know... I was just skiing Blue on saturday with some guys, and blabbing about how I wish i could take my DH bike down the slopes, and the one guy Johnathan says "I don't think they allow that"

FF to today:

I get an email from my buddy will, a forward from johnathan titled "this sounds like Kurt" with a link to the race info

****IN' SWEET!

I'll be there. Going out to the garage right now to clean and re-build the DH rig, a little ahead of schedule but totally worth it IMO. *does a happy dance!

-Kurt

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
few questions for them peps in the know

is course more suited for a full dh rig or hard-tail with 4 up front -
are there age groups - or a free for all - standard 4x format , first 2 in each heat move on
actual date sat the 9th 2010 ?- the vid link is a bit confusing
$20 - gets ride and slide -( a lift ticket for boarding as well ?) pretty cool
thanks
Your question regarding which rig is something to speculate for the following reasons.

The course is standard 4X format BMX style course so naturally you would think short travel/hardtail, however considering the very steep grade and the need for additional tire clearance for tire mods, the DH rig is definitely a consideration.

In the past few years the DH rig seemed to be the majority weapon of choice. :confused:

You are correct about the format and I don't think there are any age groups.

The date is Saturday Dec. 9th registration usually opens around 8 with racing proposed to begin at 10:30.

Yes Ride and Slide makes this an awesome deal for anyone. :thumb:

Of course this informations is based on my personal recollection and I am certain about none of it.

Last edited:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Just double checking... this is the address, correct?

Blue Mountain Ski Area
1660 Blue Mountain DR
Danielsville, PA 18038

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I know it's pretty late in the game, but is there practice at all? Also, if there isn't, I'm going to show up at 10:15, so is the race actually going to start at 10:30? I just don't want to stand around at the top for 40 minutes like I did last year.

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Another EPIC snow race in the books.

The weather was perfect and everything was totally dialed and organized.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks to everyone for making this happen. Our entire family spent the day on the mountain skiing and boarding having a wonderful time. :)

Now I am really looking forward to spring!:weee::weee:

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
was it a Mulally 1, 2?

Neko first, Logo second Lars third and Crazy Jay Delagro(sp) in fourth.

Logan has grown a bunch and has it in for his brother. I knew/hoped this day would come.

Neko better step it up because his little brother is going to be all up in his grille.

This was the first time they've ever raced together that Logan thought he could possibly beat him. Of course that would've meant taking Neko out, but in a snow race anything can happen. Once that gets into your head it's only a matter of time and commitment. We'll see.:thumb:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
DAAAMNNN!

Joe sounds like it was a blast! It must bring you a lot of pride (not to mention be a ton of fun) to get to watch your boys grow up as racers. :thumb:

some Mulally sibling rivalry going on make for some awesome racing!