Quantcast

Blue Mtn on the 20th?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Okay, so we're set to meet at noon on Saturday. Its going to rip and I'm going to shred all over everyone! Especially the girls! They're going to get extra shredded!

Meeting Spot:
Anyhow, when you pull in, keep left and go all the way back to parking lot. Thats the spot to meet. Also think about bug spray, 'cause I suspect its going to be gnatty.

Does anyone need more directions or have any questions? I'm going to probably hop the train from NYC and then ride to the trailhead.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I'm game. Just dropped the bike off at Bikeway for a tuneup (probably a bottom bracket replacement and a front derailleur replacement and and and) but will be ready to go.

I'm still planning on meeting at 9 / I-84 junction at 11am. Who all is going to be there?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Okay, so we're set to meet at noon on Saturday. Its going to rip and I'm going to shred all over everyone! Especially the girls! They're going to get extra shredded!

Meeting Spot:
Anyhow, when you pull in, keep left and go all the way back to parking lot. Thats the spot to meet. Also think about bug spray, 'cause I suspect its going to be gnatty.

Does anyone need more directions or have any questions? I'm going to probably hop the train from NYC and then ride to the trailhead.
Do you want me to meet you at the train station? I can give you a lift!
You still SS'ing it?

Is anybody going to bring the food?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
Do you want me to meet you at the train station? I can give you a lift!
You still SS'ing it?

Is anybody going to bring the food?

Still SS, I sorta sold all the gearie stuff a while back when I was poorer.

There is a super market near the spot. I figure, we can light the grill and then run and get the vittles on my dime. (translation; After we ride, there is a supermarket nearby that we can drive to and buy food)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Still SS, I sorta sold all the gearie stuff a while back when I was poorer.

There is a super market near the spot. I figure, we can light the grill and then run and get the vittles on my dime. (translation; After we ride, there is a supermarket nearby that we can drive to and buy food)
Ok cool deal!
So do you want me to pick you up at the station.

Can you shoot me a link to the directions coming off Route 9?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
I didn't realize the map had enough info on it.
Hey noob, do you want me to pick you up or what?
I guess, but its not that crucial though. There is really only one climb between the train station and the trailhead...

just checked- Train will get me into Peekskill at 11:55, so I'll be running a little late. I'll have to stop and get beverages too, but there is a gas station nearby.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
I guess, but its not that crucial though. There is really only one climb between the train station and the trailhead...

just checked- Train will get me into Peekskill at 11:55, so I'll be running a little late. I'll have to stop and get beverages too, but there is a gas station nearby.
Thats cool, I'm thinking we'll be there right around 12pm so don't sweat it.

I'll just meet you at the trail head.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
Thats cool, I'm thinking we'll be there right around 12pm so don't sweat it.

I'll just meet you at the trail head.
Roger that. I'm bringing bug spray.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Make sure you hit up the Monster for a real challenge. 4.5miles of nasty technical fun. Also Stinger is now 1/2 mile longer due to a reroute around the swamp. 4-5 new big rollers on the trail as well.

I would love to join and show some of my normal routes but I will be at Mtn Creek practicing for my DH race on Sunday.

Tom

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tom Church said:
Make sure you hit up the Monster for a real challenge. 4.5miles of nasty technical fun. Also Stinger is now 1/2 mile longer due to a reroute around the swamp. 4-5 new big rollers on the trail as well.

I would love to join and show some of my normal routes but I will be at Mtn Creek practicing for my DH race on Sunday.

Tom
Thanks for the recommendation!!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Tom Church said:

Tom

When did you guys do that? The pit sucked, but I thought the trail on the Limbo side was good. Mind you, I've made it to Blue twice this season...

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
When did you guys do that? The pit sucked, but I thought the trail on the Limbo side was good. Mind you, I've made it to Blue twice this season...
That was done about a month or so ago...The trail at the top of Limbo is SIS. Good stuff. Here's a good route probably 3+ hours of goodness. Plenty of climbs and plenty of downhills.

From the back lot head directly in the to woods on the Dickey Brook Trail. Then Make a right onto YIN (super tech) then follow that to Crossover. Turn up limbo and go into the upper entrance of Bailys and take that. Turn back up Crossover and turn up Limbo at the top. Make a left onto SIS but the rocks (fun roller and drop). Follow that and cross back over limbo onto Lower SIS. Go over crossover on to Criss Cross and when you come out make a left onto the Blue Mtn Summit Trail. Follow this up to Stinger and make a left on to it. There is some climbing on this trail in this direction but it rocks. When you get to the top of the big climb (you'll know it) look to the right. Stinger kinda splits and the left leads to a fun roller. Then make a right and follow Blue Summit to Monster and take that the end and back down Dickey Brook and back to the lot.

For a shorter ride instead of crossing over to upper SIS, make a left and take Stinger accross. Then go left on Blue Summit Trail and across the road to Sitting Duck and take "my favorite trail". Follow Rockey Glen out and accross the road then make a left onto lower stinger (goes down the gas line for a bit). Then follow Switchback out to the lot. Or take Lost Bridge over to 2 Crew Live out (great trail).

Both routes are great. The first is more of an Epic style ride for sure though.

Tom

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I took the guys from Crankfire on a tour of Blue last month. You can see the route here:

http://www.crankfire.com/trails/data.php?dataid=141

Basically, from the parking lot, climb up the gravel road, take the immediate left onto the Dickey Brook trail, right onto the singletrack around the curve, at the top of that short climb, go right (left is Yin, right is Yang), climb Yang (stay left at the intersection with 2 crew live), right turn at the carriage road (Crossover), left onto (and up) Limbo, iinto SIS at the spot Tom mentioned (with the steep to roller combo across the climbing turn). All of SIS, then left on Limbo for about 50 feet to a right on Stinger. Left on Blue Summit and into the clearing at the pipeline (don't take the first descent that goes to a bootleg bridge- jog left over the top of the rise and look for the next one- you can roll it). Over to the entrance of My Favorite. Through MFT, left on Rocky Glen, then left and left again on the carriage roads until you're back past the entrance to MFT and across the road to the pipeline again. From there, right and up the carriage road toward Monster (turn onto the spur trail about 100 yards up, then around the bend and look for the trail on the left). All of Monster, then Boundary trail back down to Crossover (at the first bridge), up about 30 feet to the entrance to Yin, then Yin back to Dickey Brook and around back to the parking lot.

That's the best of Blue in one shot. MFT, Monster, SIS, Stinger, Yin, Yang... and still some fun trails to explore *next* time...

;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey guys it's supposed to rain today all day and tomorrow. I'm kind of leaning towards canceling.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
Hey guys it's supposed to rain today all day and tomorrow. I'm kind of leaning towards canceling.

I just checked weather.com and yahoo.weather and it gave me a 20% chance for rain for tomorrow.

I think we should hold off on cancelling tomorrow until later today, like 3pm-ish...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
I just checked weather.com and yahoo.weather and it gave me a 20% chance for rain for tomorrow.

I think we should hold off on cancelling tomorrow until later today, like 3pm-ish...
Ok deal!!!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
dogwonder said:
What do we got for a final tally? Stosh, Tame Ape, Yours truly? Please be kind...
Man, its pouring again! WTF!

Yah, I thinks it the three of us and maybe Aubrey, Stosh's GF.

edit: Post 666. Wish: Bank error in my favor.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Man, its pouring again! WTF!

Yah, I thinks it the three of us and maybe Aubrey, Stosh's GF.

edit: Post 666. Wish: Bank error in my favor.
Dude, it's been f'ing pooring here all f'ing day!

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
been on and off all day down here. We rode Blue int he rain last night and it was pretty good...only got a bit slippery towards the end. It'll be fine by tomorrow afternoon. Maybe a little slick but not bad.

Tom

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
pvssy! Listen to Tom Church! He goes to Blue with the same regularity(sp) that you go to Stewart.
Ok ok..... I just didn't want to drive all the way down there only to get rain/muddied out.

But I'm still in and I'll be there at 12pm tomorrow.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
Ok ok..... I just didn't want to drive all the way down there only to get rain/muddied out.

But I'm still in and I'll be there at 12pm tomorrow.
Yah, understood. How far do you think its going to be for you?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
1hr & 45min
Each way? Dag!

I didn't realize it was so far. Its going to take me at least 20 min to get to Grand Central, some time dicking around waiting for the train and then an hour to get to Peekskil. All told, I'm looking at about the same amount of time. My train is at 10:51am, but I'll have to leave the palace by 10:10 to be safe.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Tom Church said:
So, How was it?
Everyone bailed on me! Its okay though, I went back to sleep.

I want to make it to Ninham, either with a GPS (to find my way back to the lot) or with a guide.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Tame Ape said:
Everyone bailed on me! Its okay though, I went back to sleep.

I want to make it to Ninham, either with a GPS (to find my way back to the lot) or with a guide.
I'd meet up at Ninham sometime, although I've never been either so won't be much of a guide...