Quantcast

Blueberry Meringue Pie

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Blueberry Meringue Pie!
Need - 1-9" pie crust (for the gluten free version, see a quick and easy way to make a nut-based pie crust at the bottom) - Note: For regular flour-based pie crusts, only partially pre-bake, again about 10 minutes at 300 degrees.
> 4-cups blueberries
> 2-tablespoons lemonjuice
> 3 tablespoons cream of tartar
> 1 cup sugar (or splenda alternative)
> 1-teaspoon cinnamon
> Whites of 3-eggs
> 1/4 cup sugar (I recommend sticking with the pure-cane sugar for this wee bit, but I've not tried to make a splenda-based meringue yet)

Gluten free pie crust: 2 cups blanched brazil nuts (I always mix in a handful of almonds and filberts as well). Chop your nuts well in your food processor until you have a mostly fine flour (I like to leave some nutty texture in my crust, but it's up to you). Mix in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 cup melted butter - should make a moist/loose paste, rather like graham cracker crusts. Press into your pie plate and bake for 10 minutes at 300 degrees F until it takes on a lightly toasted look.

Preheat oven to 400 F

Filling: Mix together your sugar, cream of tartar, and cinnamon. Add the blueberries and lemon juice and gently mix (try not to crush your berries), until the berries are well coated. Pour into your pre-baked pie crust.
Bake for 30 minutes at 400F.

While baking the filling, time to get started on your meringue! Whip your 3 egg whites until soft peaks begin to form. The fresher your eggs, the shorter amount of time this should take. I usually budget about 5 minutes per egg (on a medium setting on my hand-mixer) - so 3 eggs should take between 12 and 15 minutes. Gradually add in your 1/4 cup sugar until you have stiff peaks/meringue.
When your filling is done baking - don't turn the oven off yet, smooth your meringue over the top of the pie, taking care to cover it completely and have the meringue touching the sides of the crust. I took a fork and gently made little peaks in my meringue so it looks 'pretty' when done baking.
Bake your pie for an additional 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven until the meringue is browned.

Remove, and let cool completely to room temperature before serving or popping into the fridge.

Enjoy!