Quantcast

BMCC King of the Lake Series

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
BMCC is planning to hold a three weekend series for 2008 called “The King of the Lake”. Each weekend will consist of three different race disciplines:

 Time Trial (TT) – geared towards XC riders
 Dual Slalom (DS) – geared towards gravity riders
 Super D (SD) – geared towards everyone

The dates are:
 May 3-4
 July 12-13
 Oct 11-12

This is a NORBA sanctioned event and state championship status is being pursued for each discipline. Each weekend will start off with the TT Saturday morning followed by DS in the afternoon. SD will conclude the weekend on Sunday with a best of two runs format. The entry fee for TT & SD will be $25 which includes a Blimpie sub, chips & drink. DS will be $20…sorry no discount for multiple entries. Once the state championship status is confirmed we’ll be engaging local bike shops for sponsorship so if you have a local shop that you think would be interested please email me at mhadams2@charter.net. Thanks for any help!

We will be keeping points for each discipline in order to crown champions but we will also be keeping separate points for the overall “King of the Lake” for each class. For the overall we will combine together your points for each discipline so in order to be vying for the King of the Lake you will have to run the same class in each discipline. This is the only way we could keep it straight. Didn’t figure it would be right to have someone run expert in one discipline and then sport in another as well…I know this may suck somewhat but it’ll apply to all so it evens out…I’m personally dreading running expert in the TT!:twitch::banghead:

We’ll also be doing a pay dirt type points system. This will be similar to the Cane Creek series pay dirt points in that you can acquire points by working on approved trails. Sorry but rouge trails will not qualify. We realize that it’s not practical for everyone that races to come to Dark Mtn for trail building so I plan to engage clubs/IMBA reps in surrounding areas so that building can take place at their locations. If you know of a sanctioned club or IMBA rep that is outside of 1.5 hours from Dark Mtn then please send them my way. The ones I have sited so far are Charlotte, Triangle, Windrock.:thumb:

Class structure:
1. Expert Men 19+
2. Sport Men 19+
3. Beginner Men 19+
4. Women 19+ (maybe split into depending on sponsorship)
5. Junior 15-18
6. Junior 11-14
7. Pee Wee 10-
8. Big Bike (37lbs. min.) 19+

The series should be a blast with a laid back atmosphere, geared towards having a lot fun. I’ll post updates as details are finalized. Hope you can join us this year!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thanks Matt. I like how the dates are spread out and you have dual. You should have gone SORBA. I am trying not to renew my NORBA license.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
coughcoughCycletheraphySponsorcoughcough

sounds great Matt I always love the races you put on!
Where will the DS course be set up?
We received access to another piece of land that is about 5 miles up HWY 268 (road from HWY 421 to Dark Mtn) from Dark Mtn. We received positive feedback from the head Ranger last week which was what we were waiting on. The only thing left is for him to just look at the piece of property which shouldn't be a big deal. After that we'll have some dirt hauled in and stage a build day. It will probably be February before we can start construction due to another trail we've got to work on. Also the build day for the slalom will kick off the pay dirt period. Later

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
count me in matt! my crew will try our best to make it for the build day 'cause i've found that i may not be very fast but i can lift heavy things ;)

i just told noah..he's sooo excited to have a DS there as well :thumb: you really are my hero :D

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
This sounds awesome. Thanks Matt and I sent you an email regarding what support I could currently muster up from my local crew.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
WORD!!!!! I'm gonna try to get out there to help with the slalom course..... just one question, is this course going to be a permanent fixture at its location? or are you gonna have to build a new course before each race??

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
WORD!!!!! I'm gonna try to get out there to help with the slalom course..... just one question, is this course going to be a permanent fixture at its location? or are you gonna have to build a new course before each race??
It's permanent and our plan is to add two pump tracks as well this year. One at Warrior Creek right next to the slalom course and one at Dark Mtn.