Quantcast

BMP to JPG?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
While we were on vacation, this gal staying at our hotel took a really cool shot of us. The problem for me is that she sent it as a 3.5 MB bitmap. ( aol user) and I need suggestions on if I can convert this file to a jpeg. Or should I not bother. I was hoping maybe to get a print done.

Here's the pic, after I converted it from a 3.5 bmp to a 128 kb jpg no color was tweaked.

Last edited:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
that's the one I converted. As a jpeg, it's a really small file, not suitable for printing out, really. (138 kb) The bitmap looks about the same. I always thought that bitmaps were lesser quality somehow? Did I do something wrong just doing "save as" in photoshop?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
that's the one I converted. As a jpeg, it's a really small file, not suitable for printing out, really. (138 kb) The bitmap looks about the same. I always thought that bitmaps were lesser quality somehow? Did I do something wrong just doing "save as" in photoshop?
No, size is size and has nothing to do with file type. If someone sends you a file that's only 500 pixels wide, nothing you can do can make it any larger while retaining the quality. Just make sure you are viewing it at 100% in photoshop or whatever you are using - if it's that size, that's it. The girl who took the picture probably has a full-size image on her drive, she just may not know how to send it.

Bitmaps are actually HIGHER quality than JPG files. They are zero-compression files. JPGs are compressed so they lose some color data.

Quality is a separate issue from file dimensions. The dimensions will determine printability. The quality is going to have some affect on color fidelity and you might see some jagged edges or artifacts in the image from compression.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
The girl who took the picture probably has a full-size image on her drive, she just may not know how to send it.
LOL - the gal was a real ditz to the extreme so I think your call is correct. Thanks for explaining. I've emailed her and asked for the full size jpg but we'll see.