Quantcast

BMW 3 Series or Audi A6???

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Thinking about these 2, need to be decent in snow. I know all wheel drive is good but what about front wheel drive?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was just about to post that I thought BMW was too high performance a company to be using FWD on anything.

RWD is gonna suck in the snow. Go with AWD. And buy a good set of snow tires, 'cause the performance tires that come on either one are going to be awful in the winter.

J

JRB

Wait guys - isn't this the same young kid that everyone ripped on in DH for having a nice Sunday to ride??? Shouldn't you all criticize him for asking about a high $$$ car???

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Think you have the wrong kid. Whats wrong with a a high $$ car loco? As long as I am responsible what does it matter?

J

JRB

rockymt21 said:
Think you have the wrong kid. Whats wrong with a a high $$ car loco? As long as I am responsible what does it matter?
I'm on your side, bro. If you read Price's thread from the other day, you'll see I am mocking a few people.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
And I am planning on getting like a 2000 or something, I have found a couple for under $12k.

Dan

J

JRB

rockymt21 said:
And I am planning on getting like a 2000 or something, I have found a couple for under $12k.

Dan
Doesn't matter man - you are a kid and don't deserve it. ;)

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
How much more expensive are Audi's to fix? I am going to make sure the one I get has a good history and a clean carfax but incase something happens there are 3 Audi dealers within 5 miles of me.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
the labor rate is probably going to be pretty similar. if you want to know for sure call your local shops and ask what they charge per hour. either vehicle you are looking at is going to be mucho $$$ to fix.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
surfinguru said:
loco, don't be such an ass hat: Audi AWD = Quatro.

A6 comes in FWD and AWD/Quattro options

BMW is RWD. If he's serious about being able to drive around in the snow, then an AWD vehicle is the ideal solution.

edit: damn, beat me to it SS
And the BMW *does* come in an AWD. It's the x designation. i.e. 325ix.

Or did you already know this? :think:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Like I said above. You can get the BMW 3 series in AWD. RWD is not the only option.

edit: damn, SS beat me to it. Shouldn't you be looking for skiing pictures of someone else to post?

J

JRB

surfinguru said:
loco, don't be such an ass hat: Audi AWD = Quattro.

A6 comes in FWD and AWD/Quattro options

BMW is RWD. If he's serious about being able to drive around in the snow, then an AWD vehicle is the ideal solution.

edit: damn, beat me to it SS
I can seldom help it.

That said - I know nothing about cars, but I think the Audis look cooler. If I were to buy a car, it would be an Audi or a Volvo. I just think they still have a nice enough square look that belongs on a car. Maybe they changed that too, but I hope not.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
I can seldom help it.

That said - I know nothing about cars, but I think the Audis look cooler. If I were to buy a car, it would be an Audi or a Volvo. I just think they still have a nice enough square look that belongs on a car. Maybe they changed that too, but I hope not.
You're too deep in hock to have a nice car like that, Tex. :p

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Audi is the way to go. If you like the wagons at all, they have more evenly distributed weight and handle better than the sedans. I have a 1999.5 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro and would not trade it for anything except an RS4 Avant. =]

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Highly recommend the BMW. I'm on my 2nd one in almost 10 years and they've been great. Very low maintenance, hauls ass.

84K miles and I'll probably get another 80K with no problem.

And they make a great bike rack:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
loco said:
Doesn't matter man - you are a kid and don't deserve it. ;)
Ha, I ran into some of that when I posted a thread about a first car. I ended up with a 1970 Porsche 914. Everyone saw Porsche and freaked, even though it's got an 80 HP VW Type IV motor. They said Porsches are a pain to work on, even though the entire motor and tranny drop out the bottom. They said a Porsche is too expensive, even though it was $1400. Got, you gotta love ignorant curmudgeons.