Quantcast

BMW 3 Series or Audi A6???

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
What exactly is your price range? Get a b5 s4! Talk about style!
Talk about expensive engine maintenance....

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Well I am hoping to make about 12k off my truck. I might pick up a job so I can spend a little more, because whenever I buy something cheap, it always turns out to be a bad choice.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Another Question -

My mom told me she won't be helping me out with the new car except for insurance, so I was wondering. If I pick up a job, she still wont spot me any cash so how would I go about taking out a loan or is there any type of financial support I can get? I want to buy a quality car and I would work off the difference. But at the moment I do not have a bank account, and am 17yrs old. So what would I do?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rockymt21 said:
Another Question -

My mom told me she won't be helping me out with the new car except for insurance, so I was wondering. If I pick up a job, she still wont spot me any cash so how would I go about taking out a loan or is there any type of financial support I can get? I want to buy a quality car and I would work off the difference. But at the moment I do not have a bank account, and am 17yrs old. So what would I do?
Holy Crap your 17! Hmmmm i would rule the s4 out...Honestly i would try not to burry yourself in any debt at all, i didnt and im really happy about it. You will soon have other expenses and the last thing you will want to do is be paying that payment. Why dont you get a b6 A4? The A6 is sort of an old man car...Just my opinion.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
btw, I just noticed my avatar is like the negative of your avatar if it were on a film role ahahah!

Dan

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
b6 is the newer platform, more round look, the bigger a4's. The b5's are the 1997 - 2002 (i believe could be wrong)...I have spent some time in the b6 a4 it is a gem! Look for the 4cyl version still fast and good on gas, its a solid engine as well. The newest iteration is the b7 and out of your pricerange.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
norco-freerider said:
spend $6k on a nice civic and go to whistler for a month with the remaining $6:drool:
Trips like that don't work for me cause I would go alone. My friends have jobs and bikes but they spend all there money on going out and stupid crap.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rockymt21 said:
Trips like that don't work for me cause I would go alone. My friends have jobs and bikes but they spend all there money on going out and stupid crap.
story of my life only you describe me.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
rockymt21 said:
Another Question -

So anyone know?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
rockymt21 said:
ill go with you, we can drag sparky along and force him to be canadian and not shave his legs for a month:rofl: :rofl:

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Judging by your posts you shouldn't get anything more than a Scion. If you're getting the car to impress your friends or a girl forget about it not to meantion think about your lifestyle...do you really want to risk getting it scratched up, etc. or the hassle to avoid it? Save your parents some money and get something cheaper.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
rockymt21 said:
So anyone know?
Good God, man. Forget loans and financing. If you really want an Audi, get an old Audi with lots of miles for around $5k. Preferably one with the old I-5 motor. Those motors were (almost) indestructible.

Use the rest of the money for insurance, gas, and repairs.

This way, you'll only be out 5K when you total it. :p

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Brunettes said:
Judging by your posts you shouldn't get anything more than a Scion. If you're getting the car to impress your friends or a girl forget about it not to meantion think about your lifestyle...do you really want to risk getting it scratched up, etc. or the hassle to avoid it? Save your parents some money and get something cheaper.
Where are you getting this from? I want a nice car for my driving pleasure, I could care less what other people think about me. Only thing my mom is helping me with is insurance, and thats because thats all she can afford, my moms retired and my father passed away when I was younger. If I am working for the car, paying it off, and have a clean driving record/don't drive like a retard, then why shouldn't I be eligible for getting a nice car? Because there is a stereotype that all 17yr olds drive like idiots and are wreckless with whatever there mommy and daddy buys them? Give me a break buddy.:mumble:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
you won't be able to get an awd BMW that's in your budget unless it has a salvage title.

For that kind of money, I'd look at a used Toyota or Honda (if you HAVE to have something more flashy, look at Acura and Lexus).

I would think long and hard, then think some more, then go to bed, then think some more, then watch a movie, have a few drinks, sleep off the hangover, then think some more about taking out a loan that young age... especially when you can get a perfectly good car (more than reliable, it may not be a brand new BMW, but it won't be a Yugo either) for your budget.

If you absolutely HAVE to have a BMW or else the world will end, there's a website out there (I forget the URL, but it should be easy to google) that will let you buy out someone's lease. Look for a 325xi with low payments and a relatively short remaining lease term. It's something like leasetrader or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
My point is..you're 17 no need to buy such a vehicle, wait until you're older and can get a new one. I know what I'm talking about, I have an extensive background in european vehicles and see this kind of stuff all the time. You prepared to pay the $90+ an hour labor? The $40-70 oil change, etc. The A6 is a boat, period unless some H&R shocks/springs a kid at your age won't enjoy it. BMW's aren't that great until you get into the 330 and up.

I could go on and on about the P's and C's of this but dinner is calling me out.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, why sell the truck?

Yeah, it gets bad mileage, and if it's only 2wd then it might not be tits in the snow, but it is a sweet road trip vehicle. With 4 people contributing money for gas, and all that space in the bed for camping/kegs/bikes/dead babies/ tents/another small imported car/etc... you seem to already have what I would think to be the ultimate MTBer vehicle.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
rockymt21 said:
Where are you getting this from? I want a nice car for my driving pleasure, I could care less what other people think about me.
Jesse drives an A4. Talk to him about it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
17 is a bit young to be getting in loans and so on IMO. I got a big loan when I was younger and pretty much regret it totally. Debt = BAD.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
Oh Damn, you're considering a used Audi??

DO NOT buy a used Audi...EVER! I made this mistake when I bought an A4 a few years ago....the guy I rented from before I bought my house owned a 4.2 A6, cost him a couple grand a year to maintain it UNDER WARRANTY. Out of warranty, they are problamatic. The 2.7T engine is liable to turbo failure which will sink you $10K in the hole since the engine must be pulled to replace the turbos.

I cannot stress enough...I don't know what your budget is, but do not buy a used Audi.

RE: SUVs in VT = Tourists....growing up there, we always had FWD....I had a Prelude w/ snow tires all the way around. But when we really got snow, it was nice to have my parent's ford explorer for use. If I were to move back there, I'd have an SUV, and by the way, most mid-sized SUVs are going to get within a few mpg the same gas mileage any A6 will...so the theory of increased effiency in an Audi should be tossed out the window.

Not sure how the 3 Series does on mileage.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
SkaredShtles said:
So where does this leave us? :p
Well, it doesn't rule out Audi completely. The new ones look like something that belong in the circus, but I do love the old ones particularly the B6 S4, C5 A6, and B5 S4/A4 series....you just need to go into these cars with ALOT of cash down to offset the depreciation and be prepared to sell quickly in case any major issues are detected. You can pick up a B5 S4 for less than $20K now, throw in a $10K turbo upgrade, a $1K clutch upgrade, and a $1K timing belt replacement for good measure, and you've got yourself a kickass car that looks better than anything on the road worth less than $50K right now (not to mention, probably faster :) )

But you have to go into this knowing it's a project, subject to variable costs....In my opinion, they aren't daily drivers to be relied upon 100%.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
some good points here... most of they direct you away from both the bmw and the a4.. for that budget i wouldn t touch a euro car...

plus (and not trying to offend any bmw drivers), most bmw drivers are dicks... do you want to be in that club ?? then again, i drive a volvo so WTF would i know ?^@@^%#&*&%(&^

when you are older and have more money to throw around... get an audi allroad... v6 twin turbo AWD demon wagon... we looked at one but it was a little too much $$$ ( and we are in our mid 30s) ...we had to 'settle' on a volvo XC70... AWD, rules in the snow and the same clearance as many SUVs (8.2"s)...

sorry, not trying to depress you, but unless ya rich (or a spolied fugger) you need to wait 10 years or so... thats the time frame for 40K + cars...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
SkaredShtles said:
There's *never* a time for $40K+ cars.

Unless ya rich. :p
i m a quintillionaire.. :) i wish..

i beg to differ... gotta have ya 'rides' sorted...

i honestly love the look on peoples faces when my volvo goes buy at 120mph.... speed and the autobahn will be 2 of the things i ll miss in 3 weeks... unless there is a 'stau'... then the autobahn is a piece of freakin sh1t... :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Changleen said:
17 is a bit young to be getting in loans and so on IMO. I got a big loan when I was younger and pretty much regret it totally. Debt = BAD.
Exactly. I know a few people that got into debt hard when they were still young and it screwed them over. A loan is stil debt, no matter how good your intentions on paying it back are. Also, being a decent driver and not getting tickets doesn't change everything- driving is about experience, which you don't have.

If you want to get a new car, get something practical. I'd say go for the cheapest thing that meets your requirements. You really just don't want to be amassing some mountain of a loan when you don't have the stability and income to pay it off quick.