Quantcast

BMW is Worthless

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I bought some BMW carbon knucked gloves, and loved them until the closing strap ripped off (They said it was a "bad batch"). I sent 'em back to them 3-1/2 weeks ago, and made a call every week to check the ETA, and each time was told they are going out today, including the call I placed today...

They seem to make killer bikes, and I realize a pair of gloves isn't major for them, but will I buy them again? Guess...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Yeah....but I think I have heard the same story concerning their frames. People wait for ages and it seems they are told repeatedly that stuff will be sent....but nothing happens!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
really, worthless? you said you liked the gloves at first. no sorry, you said you "loved" them, until the problem. they admitted the problem and offered replacement. they happen to be dragging their feet on the replacement but you now consider them worthless.

they can be pretty crappy about customer service follow-through sometimes, but i'm having a hard time understanding why the situation you described warrants a "worthless" categorization.

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
It's easy to judge when you don't know the story behind WHY they aren't getting sent out. Anyway, if they offer you extra free stuff... well, worthless is out of place.

Anyway, probably better customer service than a wallmart type place.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
LOL, bike industry time differs from real time.

mac, it's one thing to have complications that delay shipment. (which a company would then explain to their customer that shipment will be delayed and not tell them they were shipping that day). surely you must agree that "shipped today" should be shipped today.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I mean BMW should explain. I realize they're probably swamped with work, but most people are, but their customer is riding around with some old cross country gloves and checking out all the new carbon gloves out there.

P.S.
Hopefully soon I will have some BMW stickers going into the Freebies section...

stinkyboy said:
Have ya seen your replacement yet...?

I ordered it a week ago. Even if it was shipped without being payed for that day it wouldn't be with me now ;)

My full confidence is in the guys and the company. It's nice when i phone up i instantly speak to the man in charge, and how he treats my case personally, and it's not just another unhappy customer on the books.

So it takes a little time, chill out, it's the coolest bike company in the world :cool:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i dunno lying about shipping time is wrong no matter how you look at it. if there was an unforseeable event that delayed shipping then i understand. but if they keep saying oh shipped today shipped today. i would have just gone out and bought another set of gloves and sold the bmw ones when they came in.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
hey they are giving you new gloves for free. so shut it and suck it up. and they seem liek a pretty good company to me. but they are small and it takes them a while to get stuff out. just give them a break.

lovebunny said:
i dunno lying about shipping time is wrong no matter how you look at it. if there was an unforseeable event that delayed shipping then i understand. but if they keep saying oh shipped today shipped today. i would have just gone out and bought another set of gloves and sold the bmw ones when they came in.

Ok I definately agree about that. Lying is lying, unless there was a good reason for it, as you say, it is wrong. It seems none of us know the reason though, so i'm just throwing in my four quid :)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
tmx said:
really, worthless? you said you liked the gloves at first. no sorry, you said you "loved" them, until the problem. they admitted the problem and offered replacement. they happen to be dragging their feet on the replacement but you now consider them worthless.

they can be pretty crappy about customer service follow-through sometimes, but i'm having a hard time understanding why the situation you described warrants a "worthless" categorization.
I was thinking the same thing but then again i love my BMW gloves. Never had a problem and will most likely buy a new pair this year.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Shortbus said:
How old are you? like 9? :stosh:
You sound like YOU are nine. If you don't have a reasonable response, stay out of the thread.

Shipped today means shipped today. That's the end of the story. If they aren't going out today then they can tell you otherwise. Getting jerked around by bike companies seems to be the industry standard and it BS.

Wouldn't it be a novelty to have a bike company say something like "Man we are really slammed and the replacements are late - it's gonna be like two weeks" - you know, the truth?

Just because it's your local "cool builder" is no reason to cut them extra slack.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm coming up with a formula for guaging whether or not you should be mad at a bike company for jerking you around. It's something like:

Cost of item = x

Number of times they told you it was in the mail = y

Coolness factor of the company = t - possible values 1-10

x*y/t^2

As you can plainly see, for all but the most expensive items, the coolness factor will always be the determining factor in the equation.

I hope I was able to help.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Wouldn't it be a novelty to have a bike company say something like "Man we are really slammed and the replacements are late - it's gonna be like two weeks" - you know, the truth?

AMEN!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Ridemonkey said:
I'm coming up with a formula for guaging whether or not you should be mad at a bike company for jerking you around. It's something like:

Cost of item = x

Number of times they told you it was in the mail = y

Coolness factor of the company = t - possible values 1-10

x*y/t^2

As you can plainly see, for all but the most expensive items, the coolness factor will always be the determining factor in the equation.

I hope I was able to help.
Fairly accurate except coolness and expensive are relative. Quality and reputation are also a part of the whole equation for most as well. (Granted, the gloves in question turned out to be defective.)

RM, did you have a bad experience with them too?

Good luck stinky. I hope it turns out they replace the gloves with a solid working pair that you enjoy for a long time. And if not, that you find another glove company that pleases you in every way.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No I haven't had a bad experience with them. But you can read these forums and see that poor customer service seems to be epidemic in this industry. I just don't want to make excuses for these companies. As I said in another thread - if any other industry operated like the bike industry - they would go out of business. I'd like the "business" to be returned to the "bike". The first part of making that happen is to demand better service from the industry as a whole.

tmx said:
Fairly accurate except coolness and expensive are relative. Quality and reputation are also a part of the whole equation for most as well. (Granted, the gloves in question turned out to be defective.)

RM, did you have a bad experience with them too?

Good luck stinky. I hope it turns out they replace the gloves with a solid working pair that you enjoy for a long time. And if not, that you find another glove company that pleases you in every way.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Do you have any insight at all into the computer industry Customer Service? Or the automotive industry customer service???? You think bike customers get treated badly, and all this because his shipment got delayed a few weeks. Nevermind the fact that he's getting a replacement. That's not important. Whats important is his replacement was delayed... Seriously now...

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The delay wasn't the issue either. The issue is they were feeding him a line of BS on the phone several times, which ALWAYS seems to happen in the bike industry.

Support in the computer industry is pretty bad, but new product delivery is great. You order something from Dell, they will give you a delivery Window, and odds are its goint to show up.

My experiences with Ford customer service have been nothing but outstanding over the last five years.

See how we can actually exchange information when we aren't typing one line insults?

Shortbus said:
Do you have any insight at all into the computer industry Customer Service? Or the automotive industry customer service???? You think bike customers get treated badly, and all this because his shipment got delayed a few weeks. Nevermind the fact that he's getting a replacement. That's not important. Whats important is his replacement was delayed... Seriously now...