Quantcast

BMX 25x9 w/ chainstay mounted fly brakes?

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I hear it depends a lot on the frame. The fly's are supposed to be low-profile for that very reason (gearing) but a frame can change everything.

I know you can take some Hombre's and put the hop-up kit on them to make them a little bit more low-pro, too. I think the Oddy Evolvers are ment to be low, too.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i'm running fly brakes on my 3amigos. although the chainstays are welded directed to the bb, and are low already-i know it works. they were designed to work with 25/9, but the frame plays a large part in that.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
You could always go slightly larger with a 28/10 and you should have no problem with clearance issues. a 25 is so small, no gaurantee it would work.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
yeah...

Hey, what's everyone's experiences with those 11t freewheels? Is that worth doing? I'd need a flip/flop hub to go 11. I'm thinking I might as well go cassette. I could get a nice loud one and sound like a cool kid.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
The fly's are the lowest profile, but as everyone else mentioned it depends on the frame. Likewise if you go that route you will want to run a dry chain because of all the slop you will get on your brakes...

Jul 1, 2006
Chicago
yeah...

Hey, what's everyone's experiences with those 11t freewheels? Is that worth doing? I'd need a flip/flop hub to go 11. I'm thinking I might as well go cassette. I could get a nice loud one and sound like a cool kid.

The smallest freewheel will be a 13 tooth odyssey, only way to go 11 is a cassette.

Chip

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
I am running a 30/11 with my Fly Brakes. I dont think I would go any smaller, but thats on my frame. Also I have a feeling the Interlock would tear apart the brakes given the chance so I want some extra clearance.