Quantcast

BMX and MTB

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I didn't know he was riding mtbs. That kid rips, so cal stylee...

You could tell he was a bmxer... rattle canned pink bike, gyro... barhops :)

His superman tailwhip he did was soooo slow. He would have won for sure if he hadn't gotten hurt (and the bro-buddy judging). He was the first to hit this big ass step-up that Cam and the boys were sizing up. He just whipped by them and cleaned it on his hardtail. Dude was amazing.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
a couple pics...

Wyper- as good a style as anyone 20 or 26 on this tucked no hander flip...

NKOTB- Casey Groves. Never heard of him till sorge introduced me to him that day. His tailwhips off the Rode Coke box were as clean as they get 20 or 26...

Cam- The Super flip is so hawt right now. Tight, extended. hard to argue that one.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Mike Montgomery was OWNING everyone at Crankworx Colorado in practice until he broke his arm. Made every top pro his absolute bitch...even had Greg Watts saying holy sh!t. Dude is a friggin monster. Check his park run out, and notice his barhop at 1:53.... He threw that barhop out of the-step up to cereal bowl to step-down here in Colorado... He's proof that some mtb guys can hang with the bmx guys in park.

SICK !!

Last edited:

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
a couple pics...

Wyper- as good a style as anyone 20 or 26 on this tucked no hander flip...

NKOTB- Casey Groves. Never heard of him till sorge introduced me to him that day. His tailwhips off the Rode Coke box were as clean as they get 20 or 26...

Cam- The Super flip is so hawt right now. Tight, extended. hard to argue that one.

I have to disagree with you on Wypers style... I think his style is booty. The pic is sweet, but in person I didn't think too much of his steeze.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
I have to disagree with you on Wypers style... I think his style is booty. The pic is sweet, but in person I didn't think too much of his steeze.

I hear you. I wasn't in Colorado. Just in Canada. Wyper was pretty smooth there. Sometimes pics make guys look better then they are. I will say he looked steezy as all get out on finals day in his white pants until he broke his tib fib 3ing the Giro box.

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I hear you. I wasn't in Colorado. Just in Canada. Wyper was pretty smooth there. Sometimes pics make guys look better then they are. I will say he looked steezy as all get out on finals day in his white pants until he broke his tib fib 3ing the Giro box.
He just was ragged as hell here... plus he talked a lot of sh!t and maybe that has something to do with why I don't dig him too much. Sucks to hear about the tib/fib though... don't wish any harm on a rider.

Got my leg x-rayed this week and found out that I hairlined my tibia the day before my run in Colorado. I've been walking around my house puffing my chest out to my wife, "you know honey, I did a 20' drop and the biggest 360 of my life, with a broken tibia... now get me a beer" :)

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thats funny. When I originally said

"One on my friends friend is a super good 20" rider, went to a competition for MTBs and won, which qualified him for Crankworks. The kids had no prior background on a big bike but his skills just transferred over well and he was doing stuff most of the Pros weren't even touching."

I was talking about Mike Montgomery.

Last edited:

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
No-hand backflips, tailwhips, super-flips are the last things that enter my mind when I think about style. This is all so subjective, we're not even talking about the same thing. I think trail-riders will agree with me. When we talk about style, we're NOT talking about tricks.

I was at the trails yesterday, which are in a public park, and these two armored guys on fully's showed up. Just watching those guys pedal at the tabletop line made me cringe. Hopefully seeing me shred it up will make them want to buy hard-tails. But I doubt that guys like that on a 26" dirt jump bike would ever have any style. But someone that started in bmx and then grabbed a 26" is likely to make it look good.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
No-hand backflips, tailwhips, super-flips are the last things that enter my mind when I think about style. This is all so subjective, we're not even talking about the same thing. I think trail-riders will agree with me. When we talk about style, we're NOT talking about tricks.
Style- tricks or no tricks... at that level of riding you don't get points for steezy turn bars. You gotta have both. I posted tricks cause that's what people look at- leg position, arm position, how tight or relaxed.

You're comment on yourself shredding to show up the storm troopers are lame. they are out there (hopefully fixing the cases they make,) and just might think your an uppity douche. Don't make walls.

The divide between 20 and 26 will come down!

steez to please!

20"
The Falcon, Aitken, Bohan

26"
Vanderham (big mountain steez,) Straight, Andreu (except the double flip- no one has style with that.)

there are so many more... The point is that some have steez some don't.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Got my leg x-rayed this week and found out that I hairlined my tibia the day before my run in Colorado. I've been walking around my house puffing my chest out to my wife, "you know honey, I did a 20' drop and the biggest 360 of my life, with a broken tibia... now get me a beer" :)
Damn Joel, that's burly. I saw some footage of you on one of the forums from Crankworx - your run look good and that was some big a$s ramps and jumps they had too. Hats off to ya - and IIRC you're a father and in the over-30 class - which is automatic double props!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've been on vacation and a little late to add to the thread - and not much to add - some really good things have been said.

Back in the old days - if you were jumping and doing stunts it was most likely on a 20" BMX bike. Although there definitely was some 24" cruiser riding going on both race and jumping (even ramp).

Then BMX dried up in the late 80's, early 90's. I admit I got a mtn bike as I was going to college (in VT) and didn't want the "you still ride a BMX bike?" question. BMX went underground and riders were anti a lot of stuff including BMX racing which was the start of BMX for christ sake. Some mtn bike companies tried to get into BMX as it was starting to come back in the mid 90's and that added some fuel to the "anti" fire.

Many of the guys I rode with in the late 90's don't ride anything today. They never experienced a mtn bike trail ride or even miles on a skinny tired road bike. The feel BMX is too nuts now for them to feel comfy at the park. I think a 24" rig w/ a sussy fork would be perfect for them to still ride and be easy on the joints. Or even just getting out in the woods on some singletrack with some mild drops. But they won't - there is too much hate for anything other than BMX so they miss out.

This BMX mentally transformed from the old to new regemes so you don't see much love in many of the BMX mags and forums for bigger wheels even tho dudes like me were jumping 24"s back before these kids could were even born.

I personally think a 20" on park and street looks the best and will be the best sized wheel to bring the level even higher. But any size wheel will and can get stuff done.

I love riding a 24" bike w/ short fork - keeps my joints happy and the bike stable on the most perfect type of riding in my mind - dirt jumps which is more dependent on the rider as style is the main thing. What I love about trails is that it brings together most any type of rider and sized wheel - racers, park and street rats, 20-26" - it's the place where a flowy table will most likely get more whistles than a tailwhip.

And I also think riding singletrack w/ 26" wheels and a bunch of travel and disc brakes will put a smile on any bike riders face. I just got the movie Seasons and think they did a great job on it. Tech moves done on burly stuff looks great with a 26" sussy rig and I'd have a hard time imagining it being done on a 20" BMX bike. The big drops and jumps w/ a natural backscape scenes were sick. Some of it still has room to grow but think of how goofy sh1t looked back in the late 80's with Chicago bars and high seatposts?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So I was watching THIS and it seemed to kinda relate to this thread. Watching a lot of the guys who are "progressing" big wheel riding, style can be a part of their riding (and going back to one of my previous threads, I think the guys showcased in NWD videos tend to be more the Nyquist and Mirras of the MTB world).

It did get me thinking, though, about how typically we see our favorite BMX stars riding well groomed terrain, parks, street, and trails. Occasionally we see something a little off, but because of bigger bikes and suspension, MTB guys can take some tricks that are very normal in the BMX world and freshen them up by doing them on some crazy offroad obstacle. The guy doing the rollback on the log in the middle of the woods, kinda cool.

Anyway, I guess one more angle perhaps on this discussion.

Last edited:

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
I can only speak to my experience. IMO, most of the 26" crowd I encounter is older and have some amount of bmx in their background. Most of the younger crowd are on the 20's and that's all they've ever ridden. Youthful ignorance versus wisdom and experience.

I see the word STYLE mentioned many times in this thread. Think about this: Define "style". Everyone here will have different opinions on what constitutes 'style' and what is good or bad 'style'.

CMC: Austin is kind of weird. What gives? You show up at 9th on a big bike and get heckled to death unless you're a regular. You go to the pump track and/or the Box and everyone gets along just fine no matter what kind of bike. Funny, I saw a kid on a 20 heckling a 26 at 9th and then show up at the Box later on without saying a word about all the big wheels out there. Guess it's just the scene over at 9th, safety in numbers. It's why I only go to 9th in the early AM when we go out there. No hecklers to hate on my 26" lack of style. =)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
CMC: Austin is kind of weird. What gives? You show up at 9th on a big bike and get heckled to death unless you're a regular. You go to the pump track and/or the Box and everyone gets along just fine no matter what kind of bike. Funny, I saw a kid on a 20 heckling a 26 at 9th and then show up at the Box later on without saying a word about all the big wheels out there. Guess it's just the scene over at 9th, safety in numbers. It's why I only go to 9th in the early AM when we go out there. No hecklers to hate on my 26" lack of style. =)
austin is a blast. i grew up here. 9th street does have a "scene." see: www.ninthstreetbmx.com . but i did live for a few years in houston, and rode a lot with friends in san antonio, and in some ways i can say i had some of the best times in houston and s.a. i like houston a lot. your typical austinite likes to hate on it (for "sprawl," pollution etc.), but i like it because h-town is rich, dangerous, dirty, scrappy, swampy, swank, redneck, and hip, all at the same time. people are way more motivated. my old houston riding crew--everyone would drive at least 40 minutes just to meet up. in austin if someone lives 5 miles away it's hard to make them leave the house to come ride. similarly, austin riders will be content with a backyard ramp scene that is super-chill..... but houston and dallas will have the best full-sized multi-million dollar skateparks. but in austin, you can find people to ride with (or drink with) every night of the week. it can be weird. you're right.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
says the dude who still listens to boys to men...
Out of the thousands of trail sessions i have had with hundreds of different riders, the worst music ever played at the trails hands down go to Jeremy. I know guys that would sock him in his emo a$s head for playing that Boys to men crap.

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
sh!t, boys to men? thats weak. if you're shredding trails you better be runnin some sabbath, and sabbath only through your ghetto blaster.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
sh!t, boys to men? thats weak. if you're shredding trails you better be runnin some sabbath, and sabbath only through your ghetto blaster.
$hit, that's a joke. That fool would pump Back Street Boys through his speakers before he would ever think about Sabbath.
No bull$hit.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
Music is music to me as long as it's not country and western put together. This threads about 2 wheels though not two speakers...

You're about due for a trip Zach...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That fool would pump Back Street Boys through his speakers before he would ever think about Sabbath.
No bull$hit.
Fact. Although, I have never played either.

I play an eclectic mix of quality music at the trails. So, by definition, that excludes any and all metal.

On any given day at the trails, you might hear some...

James Brown
TV On The Radio
Girl Talk
Atmosphere
Wolf Parade
Ultramagnetic MCs
DJ Shadow
Spoon
Murs
The Cool Kids
The Meters
Pennywise
RJD2
JJ Cale
MGMT
The Faint
A Tribe Called Quest
Bad Religion
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
The Hives
Modest Mouse
Gangstarr
LCD Soundsystem
MF Doom
Any and all 80s pop
Zero and no 80s rock
70s and 60s everything
80s/90s hip hop

Jake's right, though. This thread is about bikes. My point was that bmx seems to do a much better job with music in their videos than mtbs. But, that's all just a matter of opinion. Just like style. However, I tend think there are universal elements of each that make style and music good or bad... regardless of preference or opinion.

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
So I was watching THIS and it seemed to kinda relate to this thread. Watching a lot of the guys who are "progressing" big wheel riding, style can be a part of their riding (and going back to one of my previous threads, I think the guys showcased in NWD videos tend to be more the Nyquist and Mirras of the MTB world).

It did get me thinking, though, about how typically we see our favorite BMX stars riding well groomed terrain, parks, street, and trails. Occasionally we see something a little off, but because of bigger bikes and suspension, MTB guys can take some tricks that are very normal in the BMX world and freshen them up by doing them on some crazy offroad obstacle. The guy doing the rollback on the log in the middle of the woods, kinda cool.

Anyway, I guess one more angle perhaps on this discussion.
That NWD movie has a Seasons's feel to it, at least in the preview. I agree the rollback in the woods on the log was very cool. That fuf on the crazy tree in one clip was dope too. Stuff like that is where the 26" bikes look good and work best.

Comparing MTB w/ BMX seems a bit like a skateboard/snowboarding comparision. Taking skate tricks to the mtns on a snowboard is done a lot save for the flip style stuff. Snowboard will rid street but they are usually getting towed in and never looks as good as skate street and park.

And I have to agree with Cru - the music on that NWD clip was aweful. I think anything from your list would have improved it by 1000%

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
And I have to agree with Cru - the music on that NWD clip was aweful. I think anything from your list would have improved it by 1000%
Yeah- but the NWD guys are from Canada and they used BC/DC for one of the movies a few years back so it makes up for it. That and DIO... I enjoy most of what Jeremy plays, but have a soft spot for 80's hairbands and Slayer.