Quantcast

BMX axle standard size?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by ATOMICFIREBALL, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ATOMICFIREBALL

ATOMICFIREBALL DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I bought a Banshee Scratch frame with a BB already in it for BMX cranks.
    My question is ;would my RF Evolve cranks(without the external BB) or my SAINT cranks (w/o external BB) work ?

What diameter are the Saint axle or RF Evolve ?

Here is a photo,i don't have the frame just yet to try it & wanted to find out if i really need to buy an adapter .

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I would get an adapter for it. Even if the diameter fits the length will be off.

3. w00dy

w00dy In heaven there is no beer

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 27
    external bb cranks usually run bearings with 25mm diameter. Some, like the raceface use a little spacer in there to step them down to ~24mm. BMX bearings are almost always 22mm or 19mm on the ID. I'm guessing a standard mountain bike cranks set will not be able to fit through there.
    I recommend you buy a set of calipers. They're only $12-20 and make this type of thing much easier. Actually, that recommendation goes for everyone.

Edit: what's wrong with BMX cranks?

edit round 2: I just re-read your post and realized you have cranks that use a standard BB. There is no way to do this without making custom parts. Just buy a used profile or something. They're pretty cheap and last forever. I'm trying to get rid of some right now, check my sig.

4. ATOMICFIREBALL

ATOMICFIREBALL DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I ordered the adapter & will try my Saint cranks.Hope the axle is wide enough!

Also,who makes a x-long rear QR skewer ?

I'll have it built up by Saturday i think!

5. dirtygirlmagnet

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    the last time I worked in a bike shop (also the last time I worked on a bmx bike) was a few years ago. As I recall, spindle diameters were either 22mm or 19mm(3/4in.)

#5 -   Mar 5, 2008