Quantcast

BMX axle standard size?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I bought a Banshee Scratch frame with a BB already in it for BMX cranks.
My question is ;would my RF Evolve cranks(without the external BB) or my SAINT cranks (w/o external BB) work ?

What diameter are the Saint axle or RF Evolve ?

Here is a photo,i don't have the frame just yet to try it & wanted to find out if i really need to buy an adapter .

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
external bb cranks usually run bearings with 25mm diameter. Some, like the raceface use a little spacer in there to step them down to ~24mm. BMX bearings are almost always 22mm or 19mm on the ID. I'm guessing a standard mountain bike cranks set will not be able to fit through there.
I recommend you buy a set of calipers. They're only $12-20 and make this type of thing much easier. Actually, that recommendation goes for everyone.

Edit: what's wrong with BMX cranks?

edit round 2: I just re-read your post and realized you have cranks that use a standard BB. There is no way to do this without making custom parts. Just buy a used profile or something. They're pretty cheap and last forever. I'm trying to get rid of some right now, check my sig.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I ordered the adapter & will try my Saint cranks.Hope the axle is wide enough!

Also,who makes a x-long rear QR skewer ?

I'll have it built up by Saturday i think!

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
the last time I worked in a bike shop (also the last time I worked on a bmx bike) was a few years ago. As I recall, spindle diameters were either 22mm or 19mm(3/4in.)