Quantcast

BMX bike as training tool for DH riding

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
Someone said in some pinkbike(?) podcast that he/she rides BMX or equivalent bike on pump track to enhance riding skills. I've never owned one but it would be interesting to test.

Any experience or valuable tips? Good idea? Good idea for first 2 times?

There's BMX bikes from 100 euros to 1900 euros and (too) many different sizes to get a clue of.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
it is a good idea!
Anne-Caro Chausson mastered both DH and BMX and many more DH riders started on bmx as kids.

you don't really need a bmx for pumptrack riding. A hardtail or a rigid bike will do fine!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Agreed with above...
I have thought about it and getting a hard tail for pump track...time and different experience on a bike still help across the board... Balance, manuals, etc ..

Mines MX background and after a good desert session or track and ripping at high speed it makes it easier to ride DH..bikes way slower lighter and is just easier to push around..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah. It's somewhat surprising to me the number of riders that really don't understand pumping. There's some short rooty uphills here that if you use the natural pump before, you just "shoot up" and you can see these pump sections on DH trails and others where you can use the terrain for some extra (seems free) speed. But some have no concept of this and they just stall out or pedal on the backside when they could have coasted faster.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The time I spent without a proper trail/Enduro bike led me to grab my dirt jumper a lot. I had to force my muscles back into extracting every Joule of energy from the track, and I have to admit this made my trail riding a lot more fun.

At 1.83m (6ft in freedumb units) I always felt a BMX was too sketchy, I tended to go OTB and struggled to find my balance point when manualling. If you have a hard tail you could just start with it until you get the feeling of your local pump tracks, then you can decide if you want to stay at 26" or go down to 24" or 20" wheels.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Honestly even riding hardtails or rigid bikes down tech singletrack helps teach seeing / picking lines. Unweighting the ass end of the bike to flow edgy trails is a skill that transfers to all bikes but is easiest to learn on hardtails.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
if your on the larger size a 20" bmx doesnt translate well to a big dh bike.
better on a 24 :Cruiser" or 26 DJ
TBF it doesn't have to translate directly to the DH bike. Ridong is riding and if pumptrack riding is what you plan on doing being different is surely the whole point.
Once you're comfortable going quick and jumping a 20" BMX any mountainbike is going to feel way bigger and waay more stable and that's not a bad thing.
I don't ride my bmx a that often anymore but when I do it doesn't take long to get used to the massive reduction in stability... The main thing that can catch me out at first is the super short wheelbase/chainstays meaning I might misjudge timing a hop (kerb etc) and tag the rear tyre but it'll just happen the once. The BMX is way more challenging to hold mannies on too but that's only going to improve your skills when you translate the back to a bigger bike.
I also have a DJ hardtail I ride a lot more. It's simply way more versatile and forgiving than the bmx so way more suitable to be ridden off road and longer distances. So I think if you want versatility go for a 26" DJ type hardtail but if its purely for pump track/bmx tracks and tarmac/concrete don't discount a BMX based purely on your size.
I'm a little over 5'11 BTW and my BMX is 20. 75" TT (hardtail 22")

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
TBF it doesn't have to translate directly to the DH bike. Ridong is riding and if pumptrack riding is what you plan on doing being different is surely the whole point.
Once you're comfortable going quick and jumping a 20" BMX any mountainbike is going to feel way bigger and waay more stable and that's not a bad thing.
I don't ride my bmx a that often anymore but when I do it doesn't take long to get used to the massive reduction in stability... The main thing that can catch me out at first is the super short wheelbase/chainstays meaning I might misjudge timing a hop (kerb etc) and tag the rear tyre but it'll just happen the once. The BMX is way more challenging to hold mannies on too but that's only going to improve your skills when you translate the back to a bigger bike.
I also have a DJ hardtail I ride a lot more. It's simply way more versatile and forgiving than the bmx so way more suitable to be ridden off road and longer distances. So I think if you want versatility go for a 26" DJ type hardtail but if its purely for pump track/bmx tracks and tarmac/concrete don't discount a BMX based purely on your size.
I'm a little over 5'11 BTW and my BMX is 20. 75" TT (hardtail 22")
Yeah im 6ft 1.
Used to be able to 360 bunnyhop a 20" bmx... or 360 doubles could 540 on a quarter pipe. Bunnhyop onto tables or into the bed of trucks barspins tailwhips all sort of shinnanegans.... tore my acl quit riding them 10 years ago can't really get USED to them anymore...
But I also don't own any hard tails and the whole not having suspension thing is just as big of an issue as the tiny wheelbase.

A 24 feels less alien nowadays.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still think the whole learning/practicing on a HT makes you a better rider thing is a load of shit.
If someone rides a dually and can't work out that a smoother line that is also a good line is faster, they are probably always going to be a shit rider, because they are dumb.

Some of the nonsensical crap people write about the magical properties of hardtails or rigid bikes is insane, ride your bike, have fun.
If you want to be faster and don't want to spend money, record yourself riding and try to work out what you are doing wrong, or you could upload videos and we'll all tell you what you are doing wrong.
If you want to spend money I'd go for a few coaching sessions over buying another bike, a dude I used to ride with became a coach and riders seemed to improved really quickly while out with him.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I ride a bmx quite often. I would stay it helps all mtb riding not just DH. Understanding how to pump and to scrub or squash a jump to maintain speed is rather helpful to me. I’m 6’4” and am on a 20” and Supercross has pretty fucked up sizing, I think its a pro xxxxl size frame, not sure why they don’t just list the frame measurements.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I still think the whole learning/practicing on a HT makes you a better rider thing is a load of shit.
If someone rides a dually and can't work out that a smoother line that is also a good line is faster, they are probably always going to be a shit rider, because they are dumb.
Most "dually's" as you put it are fairly shit for pump track use tho. I'm sure you'd agree.

Ive nothing against coaching but Most folk I hear recommending it online simply don't ride enough or push their riding in the first place. Sort those too things out and you're sure to progress no matter what your bike is and without spending a penny.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah. It's somewhat surprising to me the number of riders that really don't understand pumping. There's some short rooty uphills here that if you use the natural pump before, you just "shoot up" and you can see these pump sections on DH trails and others where you can use the terrain for some extra (seems free) speed. But some have no concept of this and they just stall out or pedal on the backside when they could have coasted faster.
This is actually the exact spot. You are already on a downhill, but without enough speed. Right in between the two boards, there's a short little DH and if you pump that, you absolutely fly up the roots on the other end, not even having to pedal. A few weeks ago though, the local org filled in a bunch of those roots and made the climb a lot smoother...which is disappointing. I STILL see people stall out on it, because it's a little steep section after a climb and they don't carry their speed, they try to pedal and stall. If you pump, you don't even have to freaking pedal. When I'm working on the erosion control on this section (not me filling in damn roots), I even try to help out people that are approaching from behind...but they are totally oblivious, have no idea how to pump a bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Most "dually's" as you put it are fairly shit for pump track use tho. I'm sure you'd agree.

Ive nothing against coaching but Most folk I hear recommending it online simply don't ride enough or push their riding in the first place. Sort those too things out and you're sure to progress no matter what your bike is and without spending a penny.
Yeah true and I guess if buy a used bike and sell it a used bike it wouldn't be an expensive exercise if you don't like it.
In saying that I bought a used Revell frame and I can't remember if I cut it up or gave it away.
It had the strangest geometry, super long back end and a short front.
Intense Tazer was better but cracked in a couple of months.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Some of the nonsensical crap people write about the magical properties of hardtails or rigid bikes is insane, ride your bike, have fun.
When rocks and roots buck you off the trail, the learning curve is pretty steep. Just sayin... I do alot of riding hardtails and squishy bikes and if your used to squishy bikes, theres way more survivable lines than with hardtails.

Hire a coach? Get another bike and learn about picking lines while getting hammered by poor line choice.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
I would say that dumb would be to assume that one has to choose between BMX/Hardtail riding and coaching.

Understanding how to pump and to scrub or squash a jump to maintain speed is rather helpful to me.
This was my idea also. Of course there's an idea that it would be fun at the same time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Holy hell it is a lot of work to get a trail bike round those tacks as intended.
Yeah. horrendous.
Being as most of them now seem to be slack and lengthy with heavy slow rolling low pressure 29" DH tyres I actually hate riding most modern trail bikes almost anywhere but descending proper mtb trails as it's just a chore.
I get that folk want a bike set-up for the 12minutes of descending rather than the other 2hrs 48 of a 3 hour ride but it's definitely good to also own something like a DJ bike to piss about on. Especially if you don't happen to live right next to some gnarly mtb wonderland

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If you want to be faster and don't want to spend money, record yourself riding and try to work out what you are doing wrong, or you could upload videos and we'll all tell you what you are doing wrong.
If you want to spend money I'd go for a few coaching sessions over buying another bike, a dude I used to ride with became a coach and riders seemed to improved really quickly while out with him.
Something tells me that people who bottom out their DH bikes with legs near full extension could probably benefit from some time on a Hardtail.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
...and that exists?
I think the last guy I ever saw not absorb a landing with his legs was Evel Kneivel

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I took my 20" and my trail bike to a pump Track a few months ago.
Holy hell it is a lot of work to get a trail bike round those tacks as intended.
I have a dirt jumper. I once swapped bikes with a guy who was riding a BMX at the skate park/pump track. Holy hell is it harder to maintain speed on the BMX. I had to work twice as hard...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
This was my idea also. Of course there's an idea that it would be fun at the same time.
For sure. I live in cornfield land so most of my riding is xc. Most of the “jumps” around here aren’t really jumps as all. From years on the bmx track it’s quite easy to pull hard and pump the shitty speed bump jumps and gain speed vs jumping some poorly constructed dirt mound.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have a dirt jumper. I once swapped bikes with a guy who was riding a BMX at the skate park/pump track. Holy hell is it harder to maintain speed on the BMX. I had to work twice as hard...
Nah. It's definitely not.
Almost sounds like his bmx may have had the poorer tyre choice for speed.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
BMX bikes aren't expensive. Get one just cos they're fun. Its nice to have a play bike and a bit of variety and any bike time is good IMO. Whether you take it to the pump track, BMX track or skatepark its all just good practice and a refreshing change. And talk about low maintenance

I sold my BMX about 10 years ago and still miss it, although I recently got a Norco Rampage DJ which is heaps of fun and probably easier to ride for me.

Obviously if you're after improvement for racing, money spent on coaching is up there but if its not an either or situation grab a BMX for sure. A few laps of a BMX track in the arvo doesn't take long and is heaps more fun than mindless intervals on a fireroad or bitumen.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Gwin, in a video/interview says he never misses gate practice at his local BMX track. That's when he was in Southern California, and could be done year round, I assume. And he's kinda really good at DH racing.

I do agree that trying to ride a bmx track on your trail bike isn't exactly awesome. But can be done. Especially if you have a side of guac with your case-adilla. Or maybe bring your lawyer for your case? IDK silly puns.

There is something to be said for pulling sweet manuals in the rhythm section, tho. That's a great feeling.