Quantcast

bmx bike for 7 year old son

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
whats a decent 20" for the boy.

Haro and Redline are the only ones I have looked at so far.

probably have to stay under $300 to make wife happy.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
wow $300 bucks on a seven year olds first(assuming) bike!!! awsome looks like where gona have another little rider on are hands! well there are these two little dudes that i have seen rding before around my area, there 6-8 but anyways there dad built up there bikes from scratch and $500 each sounds about right? but they have been riding for a long time(1or2 years) and they can do no-footers one-foot cans, and a bunch more. but i would just suggest a custom build!!! by the way there bikes look exactly like a real sized 20" but smaller! 16" rims and frame and well check this out.....this is the closest i can come to finding a complete like theres!

this bike is absolutly sick!!!!!! it's $310 though?
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12333

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
fuse does look nice, this will be his third bike, first 2 were schwinns. $70 ones from toys r us.

Although only 7 i think i will bump him up to the 20", he rides the neighbors Haro, with just a little difiiculty.

I am a trek fan , but wasnt impressed with there BMX line.

Do you know anything about Felt

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The 18" Hoffman looks really good and would probably be better for a 7 year old than a 20"

One thing to remember on these bikes are the weights - I've seen some of the 16"er weigh over 25 lbs. 14mm axles? Chromoly frames and cranks? 1/8" chains? How much does the kid weigh? The bike ends up being half his or her weight.

I went w/ a Red Line Pit Boss for my son - 6 now. Aluminum frame and cranks, 28H wheels, alloy bars. I replaced the chain w/ something a Sram PC-58, ACS freewheel and lighter pedals. Stock weight is around 16 lbs. I can tell it's a lot better for him to have something lighter - easier to jump and ride. At his level and weight, he will never break any of the parts. He should be good for at least another year or 2 size wise.

Link: http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bmxracing/proline-pitboss.html

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
ryan/kona29 said:
wow $300 bucks on a seven year olds first(assuming) bike!!! awsome looks like where gona have another little rider on are hands! well there are these two little dudes that i have seen rding before around my area, there 6-8 but anyways there dad built up there bikes from scratch and $500 each sounds about right? but they have been riding for a long time(1or2 years) and they can do no-footers one-foot cans, and a bunch more. but i would just suggest a custom build!!! by the way there bikes look exactly like a real sized 20" but smaller! 16" rims and frame and well check this out.....this is the closest i can come to finding a complete like theres!

this bike is absolutly sick!!!!!! it's $310 though?
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12333
Ditto. And any good Specialized shop will sell for low retail or close to it, so it'll be in your budget. That Fuse 16 is soooo much nicer than the Haro.