Quantcast

bmx brake levers and v-brakes/disk brakes...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Back in the day when I worked in a shop this really didn't work, but on the other hand I've noticed a few bikes (including pro's) that have this setup. Does anyone have this setup or know a setup that will work?

Thanks...

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
If the brake requires linear pull cable, you must match it with a lever that is for linear pull cable. Every lever and every brake is different so some combinations will work better than others, but if you stick to the above rule, you should be ok.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I know that the whole "cable pull" thing is the issue. V levers take up more cable. On the other hand, I've seen some cross over and I just am wondering specifics. I have a goldfinger, a dirty hairy, and a couple other levers I've used over the years, I'd be psyched to use a short comfy lever rather then a clunky mt lever (unless its an XTR, then I can handle it :-)).

As for the avid mechanicals and normal levers, check to see if they are the road model, cuz that would work for sure (wish I would have done that on my mob, such a good idea).

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I tried the odyssey monolever with avid bb5s (mtb not road). It worked, but felt very squishy. I switched it up to a sinz v-brake lever and it feels much better. Def go with v-brake lever for mech discs.