Quantcast

BMX components on a mtb?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
i was wondering if theres anything wrong or unusal or detrimental to building a mtb with mostly bmx parts, minus handlebars, wheels, and brakes?(hubs too i guess)
i would use bmx cranks, but thats the problem, i cant find any that are cheap but have a mtn bb...maybe thats why they're called BMX bb's.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Firehouse Custom Cycles here in Austin makes 26" frames with BMX bb's. they're designed to be single speed, though (i.e. horizontal drops). about 400$ for frame and and 4130 rigid fork.

M

M.W.

Originally posted by amateur
i was wondering if theres anything wrong or unusal or detrimental to building a mtb with mostly bmx parts, minus handlebars, wheels, and brakes?(hubs too i guess)
i would use bmx cranks, but thats the problem, i cant find any that are cheap but have a mtn bb...maybe thats why they're called BMX bb's.
What parts are you talking about mostly? A BMX is pretty much a frame with wheels, bars and brakes on it.

BMX seats are good on MTBs. BMX cranks are the sh*t. Have a look at some On-One retards. I think they're like $150US and I think you can get them with an MTB bb. BMX tires RULE if you're running 24" wheels and mostly riding street/dirt.

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
i ride a 2002 norco one 25. any part that can be, is BMX. I love it. MTB parts are pinner (minus handlebar diamter) compared to BMX parts. I would have killed my old MTB a hundred times over by now. My cranks are still straight, BB isn't broken, still on the first BMX seat, stem is going strong, etc. etc.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
ya im about to put a haro fusion stem and a big cheese cromolly bar on my bike, i am trying to put as much steel on my bike as possible, i think i just cracker my bb to day... so cranks are comeing
:D :cool: :)

Lt.Dan

Thank you sir may I have another!
May 15, 2002
el cajon
ya what he said. get some on-one retard 3-piece crankers. put some teflon tape around the bb cups to prevent creaking;) um use bmx grips, brakes, seta post and seat, bashring with sproket.(fbm i think) use some sick spray paint and paint your frame and parts as many different colors like a true street rider. here comes the posers with there multi colored pieces of works now...:D um you could also go single speed but that defeats the purpose of a mountain bike because "thats not mountain bikes now is it"-i think yeti said that;)

if you really wanna go hardcore, buy a gack speed demon frame. theyre bad ass. i think the site is www.gackbmx.com or something. hes gone big time now and has his add in the back of mba but im too lazy to look. those frames have mostly bmx attributed geo. and bb shell.

oh yea on-one cranks are the shizbambitszy alltho i needed to make some extra spacers out of pipe, once again because im to lazy to make or get some real one. oh yea and because im typing a lot. those cranks are almost fully replaceable with warrenty and hardware stores. i mean you can get the bearings, spacers, bolts and sh1t at at hardware store which is also "hella"-some other person on the board "sweet"-se last fragment.

anyone go to mammoth last week. i think the 3rd?

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by Lt.Dan

if you really wanna go hardcore, buy a gack speed demon frame. theyre bad ass. i think the site is www.gackbmx.com or something. hes gone big time now and has his add in the back of mba but im too lazy to look. those frames have mostly bmx attributed geo. and bb shell.

ahh, Gack so smooth, I jumbed a 26" speed demon at Silverado, mmmmmmmm

Jun 21, 2002
Colorado
most of my experances at the skate parks have been pretty good. The only people who make fun of you are thick headed and incredbly stupid(many who think helmets are style cramping and wack thus the lack of a brain). Nothins better than holding your own against bmxers that are jerks at the skate park. I also have many good friends who are bmxers proof that we can co exist hehe. While on the subject of skateparks and mtbs has anyone ever tried to grind on just the pedal of a mtb?

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Mtnbike_er123
most of my experances at the skate parks have been pretty good. The only people who make fun of you are thick headed and incredbly stupid(many who think helmets are style cramping and wack thus the lack of a brain). Nothins better than holding your own against bmxers that are jerks at the skate park. I also have many good friends who are bmxers proof that we can co exist hehe. While on the subject of skateparks and mtbs has anyone ever tried to grind on just the pedal of a mtb?
BenWA on here pedal-only grinds handrails on his MTB...

racerX

Chimp
Jan 20, 2002
Camas Valley, Oregon
I ride a mtb full suspension with downhill parts (stiffie neck, BFR rims, disc brakes bontrager bars etc on DJ's and it rocks the suspension allows for more Spring off the lip, higher air and and I also have alot of F@$% up room in a case situation. My friends all ride 20" and I hang well with them and absorb any rough section without blinking 24 26 rolls over bumps easier. I have hit hard and cased my share and still have the same cranks and BB. broken a chain and set of mavic 221's though but went to Sun ringle I used to ride DH but got hooked on DJ. AREA 61 Albany, OR has cajones and the suspension loves it! buddy of mine just put 3" MTB forks on his 20" oversized to absorb the rough.. people laugh but He loves it. says it makes his it like a wet dream

what do ya think???

RacerX:devil:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
Originally posted by M.W.

BenWA on here pedal-only grinds handrails on his MTB...
erm, can someone explain me the key behind this move? i always fail it, my bike goes up and down, and then crashes.

anyway, glad to here more people are riding an mtb with bmx parts! it's the best way to go in my opinion.
i have a dmr sidekick, mtb wheels and handlebars and that's it. there's nothing as cool as pulling a crankslide on a wall in town, and see the people's faces go like "what the heck is he doing? he must be insane!"

M

M.W.

Originally posted by shifty S

the right answer!
le toy III

i know it aint great for djing, but it works fine for me
I'd say that a true "BMX mountain bike" would be something with steeper angles...