Quantcast

BMX/Dirt Jumper for my SON

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Looking to get my son into riding.... he has so much energy and i want ride with him....

Ideally i's like something he can take on the dirt and keep for at least 2 years before replacing... u know...

He is 6 years old (about to be 7) and is 4 foot 3.... What kind of options do i have?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I just set up a bike for my 7 yo daughter. I looked at a lot of options. The 16" bmx is the most common, but the small tires are slow offroad. I ended up buying a nice used 2005 Haro CSX. This is a 20" tire bmx race bike, w cromo frame and decent parts. A nice used one runs about $100. I changed out the 42t chainring for a 34t, and installed a better seat. It's a fast little bike, she outruns all the other kids on it.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i don't have any kids... but just from seeing kids at the BMX track, I agree, a bmx "mini" seems to be the way to go.

(interesting...cuz if you look at the proportions.. wheel size ratio to frame to handlebars etc. it kinda looks like a 26" mtbmx !! )

REDLINE also has a pretty good selection:
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bmxracing/bikes/flight-mini.html

WEIGHT: 13.8 lbs. !!

-------- You gonna build him a pump track in the back yard ????????!

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I live in NYC unfortunately, no back yard, but i do have access to several bike parks and trails where i can take my son to and he can practice and learn and get better!

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
x2 on the mini! Got my first "nice" bike when I was around his age and it was a mini.... Kick myself in the a$$ for selling it, seeing how sweet it would be to still have your first awesome bike. If he rides a bike like I did at that age it is well worth picking him up a redline. MCS has some more choices too.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
x2 on the mini! Got my first "nice" bike when I was around his age and it was a mini.... Kick myself in the a$$ for selling it, seeing how sweet it would be to still have your first awesome bike. If he rides a bike like I did at that age it is well worth picking him up a redline. MCS has some more choices too.
my son is scared to ride at that age.... he's a lil punk, but i want him to ride without training wheels.... it's how i learned when i was 5....

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Hey our boy is same age and we're looking at getting him a first decent bike which will hopefully last for 2yrs and beyond - hopefully well into his teens.
I'm looking at the local bike shop, brands such as Free Agent, Mongoose, Kink, Redline etc, basically an entry level 20" bmx with at least 3pc cranks and all that. We're looking at the $500Au bikes discounted to like $400 as our budget is around the $400 mark now (originally we were going to spend $300 but figured something that little bit better would last much longer).

A 16" jobbie would fit him right now, but since we don't have a bmx club and racing etc in our town he probably won't get into it that seriously, hence I figured get him something that he will grow into and no doubt won't be pushing the boundaries too much at this age anyway, by the time he's ready to do so I think his bike will be suitable.

It's good to read that some of you guys do appreciate the value of your first decent bike! I'm hoping he will because it's a lot of money and pretty much only because I'm into MTB and know the value of good gear and looking after it (servicing etc) instead of buying Kmart jobbies.

Jul 29, 2009
Yh man redline is the way to go theres a kid thats 5 in my street has one he races on it aswell, it gets a hell of alot of use ive seen him try jumps, came off on the front wheel and its never had a buckle i thing your best bet is to go for a redline amense bikes!!!!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hey our boy is same age and we're looking at getting him a first decent bike which will hopefully last for 2yrs and beyond - hopefully well into his teens. . . . . something that he will grow into and no doubt won't be pushing the boundaries too much at this age anyway, by the time he's ready to do so I think his bike will be suitable. . . . .
Last him from 6 years old well into his teens??? :eek:

Despite what MTB shops will tell you, BMX ain't just big guys riding little kids' bikes.

No. If you want him to actually achieve the full bike control of a bmx actually suited for his size and strength, it is a much better idea to just plan on buying a new (or used) bike every 2 years. There's a reason why Redline has a long list of sizing options for BMX. It matters a lot how long the bike is, how tall the handlebars are, etc.

These days are over:
The kid on the right, his bmx too big for him.

This kid... the frame and wheels are good, but his bars and seat are too high:

MICRO:

MINI:

JUNIOR:

EXPERT:

EXPERT XL:

PRO:

PRO XL:

PRO XXL:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
hey guys thanks for the information..... i lek the micro but the wheels looks too too skinny... :-)

I was looking at this bike for my son:

it's 250.00

it's a 20"

i can also get the same version in 24inch for my daughter...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
hey guys thanks for the information..... i lek the micro but the wheels looks too too skinny... :-)

I was looking at this bike for my son:
it's 250.00

it's a 20"

i can also get the same version in 24inch for my daughter...

since he's 4'3", and if you want to get him 20" wheels, then you'll want the top tube to be as short as possible (like less than 19") and to put some low bars on it. there are definitely some bikes out there that would work. i can't really tell the dimensions on that pic above.

what about an 18" wheel bike like the FIT:
http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7019

Fit Bikes complete - PRK18

$349.95

18" wheels, hi-ten steel frame, hi-ten fork with cromo steer tube, std 1-1/8" HT, Fit grips, 6.25" bars, Tektro brake and lever, tubular 3-pc cranks, sealed Mid bb, 25t sprocket, 14mm axles, sealed cassette with 10t, detangler

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Last him from 6 years old well into his teens???

Despite what MTB shops will tell you, BMX ain't just big guys riding little kids' bikes.

No. If you want him to actually achieve the full bike control of a bmx actually suited for his size and strength, it is a much better idea to just plan on buying a new (or used) bike every 2 years. There's a reason why Redline has a long list of sizing options for BMX. It matters a lot how long the bike is, how tall the handlebars are, etc.
I realize all this and I do agree with you, for those who can afford it and want their kids to excel in the sport, then get the most suitable bike and buy as often as required.

But for us the goal was to get him a decent bike that would last, there are various reasons for our decision, finances being one of these. Really in the end all that matters is that they enjoy riding what they have!

So this is what he ended up with...... he tried a few out and this one felt the best to him. He is already going faster on it than his old 16".

We live on a bush block at the moment in a newly built house, but we are having to sell up and move to a cheaper place in town. So unfortunately I won't be building a BMX track but Anyway...

Free Agent Trail Devil

My daughter is almost 5, and she could really benefit from bigger wheels hence she's getting his 16" (abeit I'm speiding almost $100 revamping it to make it girly).
The alternate scenario would have been buying her a 16" bike and then upgrading his in a year or so I guess. But they both got new bikes a couple of years ago so one reason we decided to go the way we did.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I realize all this and I do agree with you, for those who can afford it and want their kids to excel in the sport, then get the most suitable bike and buy as often as required.

But for us the goal was to get him a decent bike that would last, there are various reasons for our decision, finances being one of these. Really in the end all that matters is that they enjoy riding what they have!

So this is what he ended up with...... he tried a few out and this one felt the best to him. He is already going faster on it than his old 16".

We live on a bush block at the moment in a newly built house, but we are having to sell up and move to a cheaper place in town. So unfortunately I won't be building a BMX track but Anyway...
. . . .
that's alright man. i understand where you're coming from. my dad got me a 20" bmx when i was 5 1/2 or 6 and i was racing it when i was 6...so yeah, i grew into it.

IF you did want to adjust that bike to make it smaller, you could put some smaller handlebars on it.... like these...

seems like sydney doesn't use craigslisttoo much, but around here it's pretty easy to get second hand bmx stuff for cheap.

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=862