Quantcast

BMX DJ comps? - info needed asap

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
I'm working with King County on writing a grant for a bike park. This particular grant only goes for competitive elements that include kids. Part of it will be an xc race course, and part might be BMX dirt jumps.

I need info on any local BMX jump (not BMX track) competitions. Are there regular comps that include kids (<18)? Any sanctioning bodies? Where in WA are these held? Where are other good local public BMX jumps.

Basically, I need to be sure that if we build them we'll actually hold competitions that include kids. If not, then we could have to re-pay the grant money.

If you know who to ask, fire that info off to me. I'm not a BMXer, but REALLY want to build something cool that brings them into this mountain bike park I'm helping develop.

You can post here or email justin(at)bbtc.org

Thanks for the info!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Justin,

Check with the B'ham kids and the city up there. They "seem" pretty organized and have had comps in the past.

David Waugh might know something... (Just throwing stuff out there.)

Check with Kyle and Kevin as well, they may know someone up there.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
there was the winter chill jam last year, the gathering. check with the guys over at go huck yourself

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So are the jumps going to be strictly BMX, or will DJ single-speed-hardtail-stiff-fork bikes be OK there too?

(Just a side note ^^)

EDIT: If their ok, you could have DJ comps?

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
So are the jumps going to be strictly BMX, or will DJ single-speed-hardtail-stiff-fork bikes be OK there too?

(Just a side note ^^)

EDIT: If their ok, you could have DJ comps?
My theory is if you can hit it, hit it. If you f'up the lip, grab a shovel and fix it. Tire size doesn't matter. But this set will have 3 or 4 lines, with the primary design being for BMX, but 2 of the lines being smaller tables, with the 3rd & maybe 4th being doubles.

I gotta get all this past King Co's risk management folks first, and actually get the contract signed (aaaarrrgh!). I'm really hoping they give us the green light on doubles (wayyyyyy cheaper to build). I'm hoping for an official announcement within a few months, but I've been saying that for 18 months now. Gotta love the gub'ment. This park will happen, I'm just not sure when.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
there was the winter chill jam last year, the gathering. check with the guys over at go huck yourself
Yup, calling AJ tomorrow. Their shop is closed on Tuesdays, so I couldn't get a hold of them today.

It's looking like there isn't a sanctioning body for BMX jump comps - at leat the ABA guys I called didn't know of one.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Maybe the problem is the term "BMX"??? To me, BMX is simply a race on a course. Just like Seatac or up on 132nd in South Everett.

A jump comp where time is not an issue (X-games or Dew Cup style) is way different.

Sure seems to me like I saw a thread here about a competition that they had in conjunction with the city at the Bellingham jump lines.
I'm sure they had to go through some sort of risk amnagement approval to pull that off and that language and precedence could be passed on.

Yeah, get that signed so we can start legal digging! :)