Quantcast

BMX fork [integrated only?]

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Does anyone know exacty WHY a fork would be labeled "integrated headsets only"? I have an S & M pitch fork that's this way, and want to use it on a frame I ordered that takes a normal headset. What prevents this? Could a person machine something to make it work?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i THINK its because they make the steerer tube so short now. your stem may not have enough insertion with a standard hs cup. i would say also because co's started putting integrated races on the forks. s&m doesn't do that though.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I had an older version of that fork on my bmx and ran it with an FSA pig headset no problem. But idk if there are two versions.

Seems funny they should just leave it long and let you cut it.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
The reason it is integrated only is because the integrated fork steerer is slightly swaged at the crown race. When used with a press-in style headset, the steerer tube can (and usually does) contact the inside of the bottom headset cup. It is especially an issue if the bottom cup is extra thick at the point where it presses into the frame.

for the sake of this thread i did some investigating...

i run a pitchfork on my bike, although i have an inegrated headset, i see no reason you couldn't run it on a frame with a pressfit. i took some pics (cheap cameras especially suck indoors at night) to back up my theory...

first, there is plenty of steerer tube to make the length as you can see here. i run a shadow headset and stem, nothing ultra slim here and i have plenty of uncut steerer left over...

the integrated headset still uses the same kind and shape of upper bearing race...

the crown race appears to be the same as well...

and there doesn't seem to be anything different about the interface at the forks end either...

Last edited:

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
WCH,

Your fork is not an integrated-only fork. The swaging would go up much higher, past the crown race. Your fork has a different crown seat that appears to be machined to correct this issue. I have two S & M race forks that do not work properly with press-fit headsets. I had to machine the inside area of a Pig bottom cup to give better clearance. Without doing so, the steerer hit it.

Last edited:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
a lot of bmx forks come with a ubiquitous corwn race ont hem that is universal and can be run with any headset and not require switching.

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Some of the newer forks are integrated only because they have a built in fork race that is only compatible with an integrated headset and cannot be removed.

J

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
a lot of bmx forks come with a ubiquitous corwn race ont hem that is universal and can be run with any headset and not require switching.
Some of the newer forks are integrated only because they have a built in fork race that is only compatible with an integrated headset and cannot be removed.

J
these statements do not like each other. can we get a deciding argument? your witness counsel...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

J
This is the correct statment. There are also some forks which have steer tubes that only clear the split races for TH races commonly used on 45/45 42mm ream bearings.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The fork in question does NOT have the bearing race integrated. The link in my original post has a good picture of it. There is a removable crown race on it now for the integrated headset.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I can make the thing work. The steer tube is a bit short, I'll have to see how tall the headtube is on the new frame when it arrives. This could be an issue for sure.
Edit: the HT looks pretty short....

21.5" TT! $100 shipped! Can't wait to try it.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Oh, In that case, no, that Pitchfork won't work either. The taper on the steertube will drag, as Cornfed mentioned.
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what this means... could you explain it in a way that might help me grasp the concept? And do you think there's a way to modify the headset at all to make it work?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
You know where the steerer widens to accept the race? I think he means that on integrated only forks this section of widened steerer tube is too long to clear a headset cup.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Test fit the bottom portion of the headset, uninstalled in the head tube. Place the bottom cup over the steerer with the crown race and bearings in place. Visually inspect the space between the portion of the bearing cup that is pressed into the frame and the steerer. Keep in mind, when you press in the cup it will reduce this tolerance even further. The cup will slightly compress from the tight fit.

After it is fully installed--if you find that it binds-- disassemble and see if there is evidence of contact on the steerer. There should be scuff marks at the contact point.

If there is contact, you might be able to dremel the inside of the pressed in portion of the cup to increase the tolerance. I did it and it worked fine. PITA; it worked though.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Test fit the bottom portion of the headset, uninstalled in the head tube. Place the bottom cup over the steerer with the crown race and bearings in place. Visually inspect the space between the portion of the bearing cup that is pressed into the frame and the steerer. Keep in mind, when you press in the cup it will reduce this tolerance even further. The cup will slightly compress from the tight fit.

After it is fully installed--if you find that it binds-- disassemble and see if there is evidence of contact on the steerer. There should be scuff marks at the contact point.

If there is contact, you might be able to dremel the inside of the pressed in portion of the cup to increase the tolerance. I did it and it worked fine. PITA; it worked though.
:cheers: Thanks, that helps me a lot. I Have a metal lathe, so I can probably bore the cup out just enough to clear.