Quantcast

BMX frames with longer toptubes?

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
near El circulo Polar Arctico
I'm a 6'4" guy that wants to build himself a park bike as a winter project. I've been looking for a street frame with a long toptube - probably like 22-23ish. So far I've managed to find only one, the Macneil Deuce.

So basically what I'm asking for is that could you guys list some frames with long toptubes (if there are any more). General build tips for a tall guy like myself also greatly appreciated (longer stem & high rise handlebar models).

cheers!

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
The deuce deuce is all you will find. I ride a Fit Foster 21.25" and it is plenty big, though I am 6'. Anything over 22" on a bmx bike will ride like **** most likely

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
yea the macneil deuce deuce, and fly pantera and i thikn the fly diablo makes a 21.4 i have a fly pantera in 21 and im 5'11 and it fits me perfect. but ive been riding bmx my wholoe life not mtb so the 21.4 will probably be better for you

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yeah, there are a lot of tall BMX riders, as tall as you and taller, and still most of them ride 21, 21.5" TTs. I'd spend a little more time investigating before going for such a long TT.

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks for the advice guys. Coming from the mtb scene I'm kinda used to having some leg clearance... I guess I shouldn't be so lucky with bmx's! I'll probably settle for something like a 21,5" tt.

Next thing is weight. I really want a frame/fork combo that is as light as possible. I've been hearing that some people even use carbon fiber race forks on their street setups.

What are your opinions about weight reduction? Is it worth it in the end?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Hmm, I'd say CF might be going a bit far, but if you want a high quality light BMX that can take some abuse, you should check out Fly bikes and components. They are a Spanish company. You can get their stuff on DansComp for the most part.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you want a park bike so your going to be abusing it somewhat. I'm guessing your new to bmx so your probably not too smooth (even with years of Mtn. bike experience, the transition to a smaller/different bike might take some time to adjust too...)

as stated, there are plenty of tall bmx stunt guys. most ride 21 or 21.25 ish length bikes. I know Premium has a new Pro model out thats 21.25 or so. maybe check into that..? should be a bit cheaper then some of the other models.

handlebar size and position can make a bike feel a lot bigger/smaller. fortunitly, larger bars are coming back into style so you can run some 8" tall, 28" wide bars and no one will think your a goofball..:)

as for light weight.. whats light? todays bmx bikes are WAY lighter then they were 10 years ago. are you going to run front breaks and pegs? if not your bike will be that much lighter...
I wouldn't suggest carbon fiber on a bike your going to be jumping. Odyssey makes some great forks, and they will replace them no questions asked if you break them.

what is your budget?

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks for the tips. They're building a huge new concrete park here, so I figured I might as well hit it up bmx style. As for the frame I'm trying to get a full cromo frame with a relatively long top tube (21"-21.5").(talk of narrowing down the options, eh? :D )

Part of the project is building the whole thing from the ground up, so completes are a no-no.

I'm most likely going to run the highest rise street bars available in the market, just to minimize the crippled feeling. I guess that would be the 8" inch rise models.

Defining lightness. I guess I was refering to those pig-weight bikes of the old... I guess most of the frames nowadays weigh around 6 lbs...which isn't that bad.

Price is definately a factor. I'm looking to get the most bang for the buck, which means paying close attention to ebay listings, online shops clearance deals etc.

I could get a great deal on a 2005 Gt Jamie Bestwick team series frame, which seems ok on paper. Is there anything worth mentioning about this frame that the statistics fail to reveal? My other more expensive options are the Proper Houdini and the Superstar Parkinson. Opinions?

Thanks for bearing with me, really appreciate it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think S&M makes a pair of bars that are 8 something...(maybe 8.25?)
however, I just looked at their site and didn't see them.... (I KNOW I saw some bars that were over 8 somewhere, I'll try and remember where..)

I don't think the Bestwick is 21 but I could be wrong. also, be carefull w/ ebay/used because people will tell you anything..:) not always the truth.

seeing how you are on a budget, your going to have to save money someplace. I personally would get a good frame/fork/bar combo so the bike fits you. it will make riding it that much more enjoyable.

I don't know about proper (I'm sure they are fine, as good as most other frames) but I have heard good things about superstars. I think they are expensive though....

good luck.

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
8.25" sounds pretty ideal. Don't race bars have a higher rise in general? Guess those aren't going to survive the bashing, at least on the long run...

According to GT's website the team model has a 21" tt, and the pro model a 20,5" one. So I'm going to rely on that info for now.

The shop I'm planning to buy from has the GT JB for dirt cheap ($140), and the Superstar is on offer at around $250. Mind you, it's an european store where top end US bmx frames like Kink, S&M, Fit and the like end up costing $500-$700(!!!) a pop. Easily.

I agree about the good frame/fork/bars-combo though, seems to make the most sense.

How about increasing the reach with a 60-70mm stem? Would it affect the handling negatively?

Thanks again.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I don't know if this helps, but a friend of mine rides a Fly Bikes Pantara 21", and it rides amazing. The frame is pretty reasonable too. You can get it at danscomp.com
I'm 6'2" which isn't quite as tall as you, but Pantara still feels like it "fits" me

Laughter

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
Northwest
If I may pipe in here...

I've got you matched on height. I ride a 21" terrible one barcode. Barwise, I'm running T-1 mediums (7.75" rise).

I think you need to go do some riding first. Test different frames out, don't rely solely on numbers. My frame has a really short back end, which I love, but some loathe... I agree w/ the previous statement that frames much over 21" will start to suck.

And don't forget to support your LOCAL BIKE SHOP! Dan's sure does have everything, except when you need it fixed...

It's a kids bike, you're gonna be cramped reguardless, but it is fun!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
never ever take your bmx bike to the store for them to fix. EVER!

it's so simple, most mechanics can't even work on them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Changleen said:
Beware of Specialized, and many other cheaper complete bikes, they're quite (especially specialzed) heavy.
Have you ever picked up a Fuse IV? They're light (double butted frames) and have a good parts selection.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
s&m slam bars are 8" tall and 28" wide, I'd be wary of a $140 GT even if it is a "Pro" model because as you know, they are owned by pacific, see if you can e-bay a nicer frame in the 21-22" range, to be honest, most bmx'ers over the 6' mark still ride 21" or 20.75 frames

morgan