Quantcast

BMX frames

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
In MTB, top of the line jump/street/freeride hardtails are noticeably nicer than the "good deals" or "high value" bikes....

for example, an Endless rides much better than a Scab, but the Kona is still a reliable frame andcan be built up to ride very nicely.

So, is the same true of BMX? is a Fit or some sweet frame a much better ride than say, a Volume?

i am going to get a BMX bike soon, and i know that cutting corners with wheels and cranks and pedals are a bad idea, but what about frames? Is there more to it than simple "pimpness"?

whats so great about a Standard or a Fit? Is it wieght vs strength? Frame Geo? Tube quality? Are they worth the extra cash?

thanks

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
There are higher grades of chromo available to American manufacturers.

Having said that, I've seen plenty of foreign made frames being ridden by extremelly burly guys that held up just fine.

Geometry's gonna be the same on most bikes because there's really only a few angles that actually work well. BB height will be the big variable.

When you're looking at frames, just get something full chromoly in the right size for you and you'll be fine.

Volumes are good... You might also look at Macneil and Mutiny.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
Originally posted by crashedupderby
have you ridden both?
no but i have ridden analogous bikes. i just didn't want to get cocky/personal and start saying my bike is that and that yadayadayada.... it wasn't the point.

for the record, i ride a steel Tankass, an have riddin loads of other bikes.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
what ever you do dont get the vegas i have one and i can jump it but win im on a hard tail i can fly.:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :angry: :angry:

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
Originally posted by RandomV
There are higher grades of chromo available to American manufacturers.

Having said that, I've seen plenty of foreign made frames being ridden by extremelly burly guys that held up just fine.

Geometry's gonna be the same on most bikes because there's really only a few angles that actually work well. BB height will be the big variable.

When you're looking at frames, just get something full chromoly in the right size for you and you'll be fine.

Volumes are good... You might also look at Macneil and Mutiny.
"holding up" is not the issue. i know there are plenty of strong bikes.

i am wondering about ride quality.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i would have to say definatley look at s&m standard and i guess you know all the other brands...

my kona scab can ride very nice sometimes... when it works!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it really comes down to personal opinion.

alot of people can only tell the difference because their wallet is lighter. what I mean is, most people own bikes that are 'better' then they are. that may have not come out right either.....dammit.

my mtn. bike is a diamond back frame. the whole bike cost $300.00 bucks. I have replaced the parts I broke with quality parts (fork, wheels, cranks) and actually replaced the frame with a Planet X jack flash.

I ended up selling the jack flash because I didn't like the way it rode. I loved the way the crappy diamond back frame rode. I know people judge me (at least on first look, everybody does. like dogs that sniff each others butts) when they see my 'crappy bike' but it works for me.

logic would tell us that the more expensive frame, the jack flash, would be a better bike. it cost more and was DESIGNED to be ridden in the manner I was riding it. (street, jumping) but I liked the other frame better.

for alot of people still working on skills (I am one of these) you don't need a higher quality bike. just because a frame is hand made with better/more expensive metal doesn't mean it's going to be a better frame for the person riding it. it also doesn't mean the rider will be able to tell the difference. (obviously, I am not talking about wal-mart bikes and other super low end bikes)(yet my diamond back was super low end, i just like the frame)

that's alot of text and probably makes no sense at all...

*also, I did my 'best' manual on the jack flash. it's not that I couldn't ride it.
up a curb, across the 10 foot sidewalk, down seven stairs and down the 70 or so foot walking path, around a mellow corner, 20 more feet and down 3 more stairs and across another 15 or so foot path. then my front end dropped....:(

**but I always say, if you have the money and want to spend it, why not buy a higher quality bike? keep in mind, in bmx anyways, ALL those high quality bikes break. or have the ability to break, even when ridden by people that know how to ride them.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
pnj - what do you think:

1) buy badass bike and grow into it, never having to replace anything, but making a rather high initial investment and possibly not ever realizing or appreciating how quality your ride is.

or

2) buying cheap and upgrading as necessary. might not save money in the long run, but might also not spend any more than you would have buying high-end first.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
buy cheep.

the reason is, NOBODY, once they get into riding, stops buying parts. :D
there is an exeption to every rule of course but I think the general biking community (bmx, mtn, road and other) is always buying something new.

also, how do you know what will work for you? (i think this is the main reason for people buying new stuff all the time)

as your knowledge/skill level grows so does your understanding of what works for you.
with bmx you have;
taller/shorter/ wider/skinnier bars
longer/shorter frame
longer/shorter crank arms
3/8 vs 14mm axles
and other stuff....

plus, EVERYBODY seems to think that by changing to another brand of (name a part) they will ride better. and sometimes they do. bars having different bends/size is a good example. but you won't know what works until you gain the experience you get from riding.

plus, if your new you may not like one type of riding vs another. (ramps vs. street vs. dirt vs. flatland or combos of each) only by riding around will you know what you like and what direction you may want to go.

So I say go with a lower end bike and grow into it. Get a frame that fits your height and start riding. find others that do the same type of riding you do and ride their bikes.

I would actually try and buy mid range. not fully cheap cheap but not fully expensive either.
unless your one of those people that doesn't mind selling used parts. some people like doing this and buy the highest quality thing they can, then simply sell it if they replace it.
the problem with that is, parts loose value pretty quickly.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
well, the only variable i am nsure of is bar height/width. the rest is pretty set.

it's gona be either

FBM NIght Train (go check it out on the site.... it looks sweet as hell)

or

the Barcode

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
both of those are nice frames, top of the line frames. you will be happy with either one.