Quantcast

BMX Geo - talk some sense into me

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm looking into a new 20" bmx frame, but I can't decide what I want exactly, geo wise. I'm sure I could get used to pretty much anything, but there are few things I'm looking for. I want it to be money for trails and only trails.... long, low, light, stable. And I also want to make it as easy a switch as possible between it and my hardtail.

So, I'm thinking about a really long TT. Like 21.25 or 21.5. Do you think that's too long? I'm 6'1" with long legs and have always liked long bikes. My old bmx is 21 and it feels fine, but I think I could go longer. And, I think longer would feel closer to my hardtail... right?

I was really thinking about the new Fit Lurch. But, the only thing holding me back from that frame is the 11.8 bb. That seems high for a trails frame. The TT and chain stays are nice and long, though. 21.25 and 14.25.

The other frame I'm looking at is the Mutiny Burlish. It comes in a 21.5 with a 14.25 cs and 11.5 bb. That sounds money to me. But, I'm wondering if it'd be too long. And if I went with the 21" version, it has shorter stays at 13.25. I'm thinking I want 14 or longer stays.

So, anyway, I can't decide. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
im your same height, and ride trails on my eastern jane(21tt) with wide bars, and going from that to my bottlerocket isnt a bad transition, you'd prolly be fine on a 21" frame imo.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
im your same height, and ride trails on my eastern jane(21tt) with wide bars, and going from that to my bottlerocket isnt a bad transition, you'd prolly be fine on a 21" frame imo.
You're right, I probably would be fine on a 21. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience on a longer frame. Or, if there's anybody who is shorter that loves riding a longer frame. Wouldn't that be similar to what I'm talking about?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I know a guy that is a few inches shy of 6' and he rides a 22" frame. I took it for a spin once, and it felt sweet. If I went back to 20s, I'd find a deuce deuce.

Jul 4, 2007
bay, killafornia
i guess im the opposite im 6' and i ride a 20.5 feels good to me but my next bike will be a 20.75 because i like the feeling of a little more length. i ride my current bike on the dj's (not nearly as big as yours cru) but it still feels smooth, sometimes it even feels better then my hardtail. but i guess im just saying its all up to personal preference.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
my stricker is a 21" tt, 14" cs. It's $$$ for me. I'm 6' even. My T1 was a 20.675 and it feel cramped to me versus the stricker. I sold it to my buddy who's a tad shorter than me and he loves it.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
look into the Fly Diablo 3(think that's the one), mac duece duece, FBM Deployer, and that one midnite frame with the super low TT.

i don't ride trails like you do but my old 20.75 frame felt good on them and i'm sure my new 21" will feel even better. i'm just over 6ft. i like to ride my wheel at about 14-14.25" for everything. also, get yourself some Big Bars..

considering how good of a rider you are, i think you'll do well on any frame.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i say go with the Mutiny Burlish, 21.5tt,14.25 cs and 11.5 bb.

that sounds perfect.

usually people dont regret getting long bikes for trails. they are stable and roomy for turndowns etc.

and anything shorter than 14.25cs will feel way too loopy on manuals compared to your mtb.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thanks, dudes. Good info. Any other opinions on bb height? Anybody switched from to 11.5 to something higher? How much different did it feel?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thanks, dudes. Good info. Any other opinions on bb height? Anybody switched from to 11.5 to something higher? How much different did it feel?
....also being 6'1" and long-legged, i think low BB is the way to go. the higher your stance, the lower you have to hunch. which is fine, but when you're frame gets longer, you're hunching forward too. there is the occasional exception of a TALL rider like chris doyle that blasts with a low-ish setup, but all the short 20" riders that blast, look how comfortable their stance is. their grips are not below their knees. .... the longer your frame gets, the taller your bars should be ... AND a lower BB helps. my 2 cents.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Agree w/ cmc here on the bb height thing. Cru, I've got a Macneil Duece Duece I'll sell you cheap. It's got exactly three rides on it and no scratches - basically new. Long tt and stays, really stable - perfect for trails.

Hit me up if you're interested

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I had never even contemplated the bb height thing until this thread came up. I was talking with beerz about it today and we both agreed that it prolly isn't something you should base a frame purchase on solely. The problem is it's hard to test ride different frames to see what works for you. That being said, I've experimented with a fair amount of frames, i.e. barcode 20.625 , fit van 21", beerz's premium 21", sunday wave 21", and of course my stricker. None of these frames I ever considered the height when riding. What stands out to me jumping on other people's rides in bar position. That seems to be the factor on whether I feel "comfortable" on the bike. My frame has a 11.8" bb which I guess is considered high these days. I think it's rad and totally works for me (I'm 6' even). Bottom line is find a frame that works for the majority of dimensions you need and learn to adapt to the minority that doesn't. If you don't need a tt longer than 21", don't get it IMO. Hell, I'm buzzin', take it with a grain of salt :)

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I had never even contemplated the bb height thing until this thread came up. I was talking with beerz about it today and we both agreed that it prolly isn't something you should base a frame purchase on solely. The problem is it's hard to test ride different frames to see what works for you. That being said, I've experimented with a fair amount of frames, i.e. barcode 20.625 , fit van 21", beerz's premium 21", sunday wave 21", and of course my stricker. None of these frames I ever considered the height when riding. What stands out to me jumping on other people's rides in bar position. That seems to be the factor on whether I feel "comfortable" on the bike. My frame has a 11.8" bb which I guess is considered high these days. I think it's rad and totally works for me (I'm 6' even). Bottom line is find a frame that works for the majority of dimensions you need and learn to adapt to the minority that doesn't. If you don't need a tt longer than 21", don't get it IMO. Hell, I'm buzzin', take it with a grain of salt :)
truth

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thanks again. You all have some good points. I'm leaning towards the Burlish. I'm thinking I'll enjoy the extra stability when I'm blasting this jump on little wheels...

That's Brett getting used to our new and improved line.