Quantcast

BMX hubs and MTB forks...do they play nice?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
im thinking of building up a new urban rig (ns capital, fox 32, very light) and was wondering if BMX hubs work with mtb forks

i am looking at 3/8" demolition anorexic front hub laced to an alienation rim. would that hub work with the fox van 32? i want to match the hubs and run bmx front and rear (demolition bolimia rear).
thanks

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
hmm... anyone else? i have heard mixed things from people. i know that mtb spacing for front hubs is 100 for QR 0r 10mm but is bmx the same? ill look online but bmx stuff never lists the specs.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
bmx hubs will fit into quick release mtb forks. they both have the same spacing, 100mm. may have to file the drops a lil. my friend has a fox QR and a profile mini, no filing necessary. works mint. isn't the fox 32 20mm?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
You should be good, but in some cases (depending on fork/hub combo) you may have to dremel away some bit of material for the bmx bolts to clear the lawyer tabs on some forks.

btw, I've got the rear Demolition bulimia hub and so far it's pretty solid.
Go for the Mary Kate front hub instead, super tricky light (w/out spoke guards), or the madera pilot...

edit: Stoked beat me to the click. Fox 32 is all 10mm drops, 36 series is 20mm thru-axle... but soon in the near future, Fox will be debuting forks with the new Shimano 15mm thruaxle action.... curious about that one.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
btw, I've got the rear Demolition bulimia hub and so far it's pretty solid.Go for the Mary Kate front hub instead, super tricky light (w/out spoke guards), or the madera pilot....
on danscomp.com the anorexia is almost 2 oz lighter then the mary kate.. ill have to look up the madera pilot.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
oh, your right, i just looked on the demolition website and the mary kate is slightly lighter.
thanks for all the help guys.
bikeSatori (or anyone else)- do you have any suggestions for V-brake set ups?

i have always ran disk but this frame is v brake only. i was thinking of getting an avid setup but am open to suggestions. i know that linear pull cable is a must plus it comes in white. (im doing red frame with black grips, wheels, cranks, and fork and white hubs, bars, cable housing, and pedals.)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
bikeSatori (or anyone else)- do you have any suggestions for V-brake set ups?

color scheme sounds hot-rod, I dig! Need some wood grain contact paper for the rims and you'd be set to meet at the line and lay some thick strips! :cheers:

See if you can get your hands on some of these smooth operators:

Machinetech v-brakes, solid stuff, very nice... Got a few sets waiting for a project. I like how they wrap around the tire, instead of sticking out like a lot of other v-brakes do.
There's a lot of other very powerful v-brakes out there on the market though, hard to go wrong with some XTR parralel push's (even though they can rattle) or some Avid black ops or something...
Odyssey a-brakes aren't too bad either, but kind of heavy and big.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Machinetech v-brakes, solid stuff, very nice... Got a few sets waiting for a project. I like how they wrap around the tire, instead of sticking out like a lot of other v-brakes do.
There's a lot of other very powerful v-brakes out there on the market though, hard to go wrong with some XTR parralel push's (even though they can rattle) or some Avid black ops or something...
Odyssey a-brakes aren't too bad either, but kind of heavy and big.
interesting stuff man, you always bring da info. i personally think a set of sinz or tektro's setup properly are mint! however i'm kind of obsessed with different v brake options. i'm using tektro's currently and love em but i have avid ultimate's and an odyssey A brake kicking around. i talked a buddy into trying the odyssey a-brake and it sucked. maybe it wasn't setup perfect but the hardware is a lil small and stripped out easy. i would look for a brake that hugs the tire unlike a paul v brake thats straight and burly.

machinetech looks trick. can it be used with a 990 lever? seems the roller thing would solve the long/short pull problem with using 990 lever on v brakes. kinda like this part http://www.ride-this.com/buy/Problem-Solvers-Travel-Agent/20050032/

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Machine Tech made some really, really nice looking parts. Their zero-weld stem is probably one of the prettiest bike bits I've seen. NW company if I remember. Made medical equipment.

Those look wide. The truss that goes over the brake hardware is probably significantly wider than a Shimano or Avid.

As pretty as these brakes are, I seriously doubt these would fit my new rig.

There isn't much room between the straddle cable and the seat tube on a Fall Guy. I've recently been informed that Avid Ultimates will only JUST clear the Fg seat tube. I seriously doubt these would work.

Ulitmate V-brakes? How about these...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Machine Tech made some really, really nice looking parts. Their zero-weld stem is probably one of the prettiest bike bits I've seen. NW company if I remember. Made medical equipment.

Those look wide. The truss that goes over the brake hardware is probably significantly wider than a Shimano or Avid.

As pretty as these brakes are, I seriously doubt these would fit my new rig.

There isn't much room between the straddle cable and the seat tube on a Fall Guy. I've recently been informed that Avid Ultimates will only JUST clear the Fg seat tube. I seriously doubt these would work.

Ulitmate V-brakes? How about these...

word. I hear ya'. Didn't realize the question was referring to fitment on a tonic frame (which I don't have much clue about clearance-wise...)
And yes, they are a bit taller than most conventional V-set-ups. If you look closely at that photo I posted, they actually have an option of 3 different holes for cable routing, giving you a small adjustment for power/feel/modulation.
I don't think that roller would allow you to use a canti/990 lever either. It's just a trick replacement for a noodle. I think that problem solvers gadget uses a cam mechanism or something, to add cable pull length or something... I could be wrong.

Landon, those are some incredibly trick brakes too, the Steinbach, haven't heard of them, cool link. They appear to hold a very close resemblance to some old Critical Racing canti brakes... but obviously not meant for a straddle cable/canti set-up.

how about some of those superlight (overpriced) KCNC brakes? Don't know much about them other than a lot of xc weightwatchers rave over them.

Oh hey, how about an old school magura hs-33 set-up! I've got an old one in all black with a pretty rare Kooka cnc'ed lever I've been wanting to put on something, haha... Rim-crusher, stay-pusher, watchout!

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I just like they way the Stenbach's look.

I think they use an elastomer as a return spring, so they are more than likely terrible.

I don't think the original poster was asking about a fall guy. Sorry for the detour.

Most bike geeks have an Ultimate Build in their head. I thought the Machine Tech brakes would be part of mine, but after seeing yours I doubt they'd fit my bike.

I think I have either regular Avids or Shimanos on my bike and those are pretty much perfect to be honest. Ody linear cable and some stock V's suit me fine.

Sounds like you've got quite a parts stash..

-L