Quantcast

bmx issues

Sep 17, 2003
I have a question,
I have a new (to me) bmx frame and parts that i built up, and it seems to be nearly impossible to align the rear wheel str8 in the drop outs. I can set it in there str8, but once i begin to tighten the axle nuts down, it pulls to the non drive side. once it is there, it doesnt move, but i am anal about how my bike runs and would like to make it perfect.
anyone else have this problem?

also, is it commom place for bmx chainwheels to come brand new with a little bend to them? bought a demolition 44t chainwheel and it has a little hop to it that is varying my chain tension and these miniscule problems are driving me batty......

thanks

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Originally posted by crashedupderby
I have a question,
I have a new (to me) bmx frame and parts that i built up, and it seems to be nearly impossible to align the rear wheel str8 in the drop outs. I can set it in there str8, but once i begin to tighten the axle nuts down, it pulls to the non drive side. once it is there, it doesnt move, but i am anal about how my bike runs and would like to make it perfect.
anyone else have this problem?
Normal stuff. Tighten down the drive side then push the wheel towards the non drive side and tighten it down. It takes a little practice to get the correct chain tension but gets easier whenyou get the hang o f it.

You can also use chain tensioners to help keep the wheel from pulling to the side.

also, is it commom place for bmx chainwheels to come brand new with a little bend to them? bought a demolition 44t chainwheel and it has a little hop to it that is varying my chain tension and these miniscule problems are driving me batty......

thanks
Side to side wobbles are very normal from what I have seen.

Up and down hobs are normal also. Rotate the cranks to the tightest point of chain tension and loose and re-tighten the chain wheel bolt.

Sep 17, 2003
i turned the chainwheel and think i was able to bend it str8. weird, it seems str8 now and the chain tension is more consistent....also, i guess that 1/4-1/8" offest in the rear wheel is normal....i dont like it but im rocking it .....it may be the frame....volume destroyer....

im stoked on the 20" reprezent reprezent zent..