Quantcast

BMX Jihad?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Has anyone read this article in Thrasher??
I have only read the backlash, mostly letters to the editor of various rags, thrasher included. I cant really comment because I skate & ride. I am always by myslef & never run into any skaters or bmxers but we everyone rides the same spots....except for the one public park that doesn't allow bikes.
I guess if I lived in a city where both sports were more popular I might experience this rivalry. What about you guys?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
At the parks I've been to there's no single group that causes more problems. An idiot on a BMX is just as dangerous as an idiot in fruit boots or on a skateboard.

As long as people look where they are going and try to be fair about sharing the lines, I don't care what wheels they roll on.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I wrote a big rebuttal to the whole train wreck in my first issue of the 'zine.

There are a couple of things to consider. The TOC photo from that issue of Thrasher was taken at a spot that the Eastern BMX guys spent two days making rideable. Plus, the article has pictures of Brian Patch in it. Brian is known to be a pretty good BMX'er in addition to his professional skateboarding abilities.

Plus, if you read some of the points made in the article, you start to wonder how serious they really were when they wrote it. The real fear is that some brain-donor skate punk kid is going to take it seriously and get violent.

Secondly, they're right... we BMX'ers usually *don't* fight hard enough to get in to the parks in the first place. If we'd get right in there in the beginning and do our part to get 'em built, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by Echo
An idiot on a BMX is just as dangerous as an idiot in fruit boots or on a skateboard.
i agree. as long as everyone just plays nice all will be good. My home park is almost all bmx now so i never have a problem. but it wasn't always that way, we had to fight to let bikes be leagal and to gain acceptance by skaters.

It did help that we have a few pro guys that ride there a lot and i don't care what your on, when a pro shows up everyone is cool to them.