Quantcast

BMX noob

kealan

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a bit and have been thinking about getting a new tonic fab fall guy. but when I think about the differences between it and a bmx bike they seem pretty minimal except for the price.

I ride basically all street or park and bmx just seems much suited for street and park and its cheaper, but I've always ridden a singlespeed 24"inch hardtail with a fox 130r in the front and dont know what the switch from that to bmx would be like.

Heres my problem, I'm a total noob when it comes to bmx, I know a fair amount about mtb but pretty much nothing about bmx, so I really have no idea where to start or what i should be looking for in a bmx. I would have no problems building up a frame, or buying complete, but I don't know what to look for in either. So help me out, give me some things that I should be looking for or any tips. Or if you think I should save some pennies and go for the fall guy. I'm about 5'8 and 140 lbs if it makes a difference.

Thanks a lot

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I got a Tonic, then realized that for cheaper I could have a BMX that could do the same thing. Look at a Fit Flow Trail for a sub-700 complete with nice geo. The Integral Bel-Air is nice too. I'd go for a 20.5 or 20.75" TT at your height.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
A BMX would be cheaper and it could do everything and more (in terms of street/park/DJing) than the Tonic. But, it will also be a harder transition to get used to from a mtb.

Browse around at some of the complete BMXs on DansComp. Something in the $400 - $700 range should be very solid. Fit and Eastern would be two companies I'd check out.

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
i have an almost complete Felt bike that i am selling really cheap and is pretty light too. Is what that kid scotty Cranmer is riding. bike is solid. let me know if your interested. its on the classifieds.

kealan

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks anyways, but im not too interested in the felt bike.
But I was on dans comp and was looking at the integral bel air, the 07 gold/purple one. I really like the looks of it, but what is said in the add on dans comp is all the information i can find on it. So do you guys have any ideas about weight? Or if its worth the money. its $634.49 with shipping after a 10% discount (some kind of promotion they have on I guess.) So let me know, thanks.

kealan

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
im riding a norco 125... most of the major parts arent compatible with the fall guy like wheels, and i want a new fork, brakes... so im leaning towards the integral bel air mainly because of the cost and because of what i ride