Quantcast

BMX Question

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
Right, I'm just sorta curious, but whats the advanatge/disadvanatge of a 24" over a 20"? BMX? I currently ride trials, street and cyclocross, and was thinking about getting into BMX cheaply, and posibly selling my street bike. Often times, people say, just get a BMX insted of a street bike and I have to wonder why?

Thanks
Byron

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
advantages of 24":
larger (better for larger guys)
larger wheels carry speed better than smaller wheels
more stable all around IMO
disadvantages:
not at "flickable" as a 20"
not as easy to get the wheels roling as on a 20" (not noticeable)

adavantages of 20":
gets up to speed faster
more nimble in the air, street, park etc
disadvantages:
smaller, wont carry speed as well as 24"

as for why people say get a BMX instead of a street bike, its cheaper, for one, also they definitly are less prone to breaking (due to there being less components). also, gettin a bmx will teach you to be smoother, and not rely on suspension as much to cushion your landings. i have both a mtb and a 24" bmx and i like the bmx more for street/dj because its just smoother.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
trialsboy50 said:
Right, I'm just sorta curious, but whats the advanatge/disadvanatge of a 24" over a 20"? BMX? I currently ride trials, street and cyclocross, and was thinking about getting into BMX cheaply, and posibly selling my street bike. Often times, people say, just get a BMX insted of a street bike and I have to wonder why?

Thanks
Byron
24 advantage:
stair gaps
there are not as many riders who are WAY better then you :think:
24 disadvantage:
heavy
expensive
fragile
stable/un maneuverable

20 advantage:
the reverse of 24 disadvantages
20 disadvantage:
harder to ride or fool around on

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
i think you should find out yourself because every has a different opinion on a bike size, just go to your local bike shop and ask if you can ride a 20" bike and a 24" bike. see how it feels, going of other opinions may lead you into a bad decision. (not offense to the other people that posted) :)

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
The 20" wheel is so much smaller. There is so much more standover. All those tricks that make up street riding; 95% of them are easier to learn on a 20". They just ride much differently. Give one a try and get used to it. You may grow to love it.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I wouldn't think of it as 'advantage/disadvantage', just different.

too many people put restrictions on themselves that they don't have to.

it's a bike, ride it. :)

here is a older (mid 80's I think) picture of a guy doing a turndown on a cruiser. free your mind.

Attachments