Quantcast

BMX sizing?

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I saw this chart:
http://newhorizonsbikes.com/page.cfm?pageID=219

I am only 5'-5'1". And tiny. I've been riding a cruiser with a tt of 21.75". I checked out a 20" BMX with a tt of 20.5" and it felt much better. Lifting the front took half the effort! I tried a DJ bike and it felt entirely too big/heavy for me to handle. This site says a tt for a 20" BMX should be 19-19.5". I really feel I could do manuals on that size! So wondering if my struggles handling might lessen if I get the right size.

So whats a good length for me for a 24" wheel or would anything close to 20" be best? Since I dont jump anything bigger then me, I am not sure I need a DJ bike now. But I dont think for the BMX track and DJ that a 20" would be a good idea. I am selling the DJ bike so considering a smaller frame for the BMX or a 20" BMX. I am not sure if the fork/bottom bracket is compatible on all 24" either. I would like a soft fork but I dont have that amount of money and for my size jumps, not sure its necessary.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
sounds like your younger with limited funds. With that a bmx would be the right route. I'm a little bit taller at 5'-5" and love my 21"tt for my 20" bmx. I think you'd fit in something btwn 20.5-21.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
If you are just riding street/park, the shorter bike will handle better. If you plan on jumping it, the longer bike will handle better.
An inch or so difference in top tube will not really affect manualing that much on similarly set up bikes. The shorter bike may be easier to pull up, but the longer one may have a bigger "sweet spot".

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Limited funds, yes, but I'm a girl and very small built! So the size of a kid lol.

Anyway, tried a 19.8" tt on a 20" bike at a shop. It feels so much better! To jump a 22" I have to bend over when I lift otherwise I'm too far forward on the pedals and my feet slip. Everyone else at the BMX track I go to stand up. When I was jumping off the curbs on the small BMX, I could stand up jumping off, really put my butt behind the seat on landings so felt more stable and easier to handle for me. They do have less heavily built bikes at under 21". Since I dont weigh 100 lbs, I dont need a 30 lb bike as I wont break it. I ride just dirt. I also think the women, if I were to race, do cruisers. I'm not 12 so rather not race that group.

I'm going to another shop as they have a 20.2"tt cruiser and it seems from the specs that would fit me. I think if I were to get a DJ bike, there is a 20.5" tt one. I forgot which one but 22" IS too big for me I realize. When I have the funds, I want a 24" wheel DJ bike if there is a light enough/small enough one for me. For now its better to ride a rigid, BMX rides better for me.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
at 5'1", you should either be on a 20" wheel street/park/(maybe even flatland) bike with a short top tube, like 18.5 - 19.5"

OR

for BMX race, your size bike would be an "Expert." See:

Product Information

Redline's complete Flight series is full of race ready bikes...built to be as light as a stock bike will get while delivering the performance of a custom bike. Check out the full specs:

FEATURES:
FRAME: R6 Aluminum Frame with 3D Forged Dropouts, Euro BB & Integrated Headtube / Reversible Brake Pivots
FORK: R6 Aluminum Race Fork
HEADSET: Integrated Sealed Headset
BARS/STEM: Aluminum Handlebar & Flight CNCAluminum Stem
CRANKS/BB: ISIS Alloy 3pc Cranks & Sealed Bearing BB
PEDALS: Aluminum Platform Pedals
RIMS: Sun Double Wall Rims / 32H
HUBS: Redline Aluminum SB Cassette Hubs with Hollow Chromoly Axles
SPOKES: Stainless Steel Spokes
TIRES: Tioga Tires
BRAKES: Tektro Brake System with Mesh Casing
SEAT/POST: Flight Pivotal Saddle & Post
EXTRAS: Chain Tensionerss

Frame Geometry:
Head Angle: 73°
Seat Angle: 69°
Top Tube: 19.5"
Chainstays: 13.9"
BB Height: 11"

Suggested Rider Size: 4’6”- 5’3”

Available Colors: Red/White

Product Weight: 16.9 lbs.

Price: $679.95

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You could set up a flatland bike, or a bike that comes in a really short TT (the old Federal Ian Schwartz comes to mind, I think that came in a 19") for dirtjumping and street.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I will check out the others! OK my size is the expert. The 19.8 feels great on the 20" and the 20.2 feels great on the 24". I tested out the redline. They run ridiculously narrow tires and it didnt quite feel like a BMX, more like a street bike. I liked the feeling of the haro much better, even though the 20 bmx was rather twitchy, it felt good. But yes, there is a huge difference in lifting the front for me. Its not like I'm manualing down the street on it but I'm closer to doing so.

So I think I might now have to go with the 20" BMX. I dont think there are short cruisers out there for me cause cant ride on the 1" tires lol. But something thats on the light side (25lb ish is good) and with rims that can take a 2.0 tire probably. If I will DJ it, it needs some fatness on the rims. Some people at the track were riding Intense, MCS and it does have 19.5" tt for a good price, Hoffman, Free Agent, FIT, GT, Intense, Standard, Sunday. So will look at those and the ones suggested so far and see if I can get tt measurements/weights and tire size options. I am also emailing another girl who has been BMXing a long time and is small from my area.

I keep going smaller lol. I am not sure why, but the BMX just feels better how it rides, ie. more fun. I've got to do manuals one day off the humps and a 360 would be sweet too!

Last edited:

L8Braker

Chimp
Jun 4, 2009
North Carolina
For your size unfortunately there are not a lot of short frames I would trust dirt jumping or street riding as most are made of Hi-Ten steel. The expert sized race bikes will fit you perfectly however they are not setup for severe dirt jumping or street riding since they are built for speed i.e. light weight. My youngest son is 10 and he rides a Eastern Ace of Spades which has a 20.5" top tube, it's not the lightest bike out of the box but isn't too bad, but with some part changes this bike can be made lighter and since the back end is pretty short manualing woulnd't be that hard. The price for a new AOS is a little steep, but if you look on craigslist or the classifieds here a good deal can be had.
//Good luck

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I am bummed as you are right, not much in my size! So the main thing with manualing is the short chain stay? All the race bikes seem to come with different size rims that wont hold a tire bigger then 1 3/8". Not good for anything beyond the track. And the rim diameter and location of brake is different then the bigger rims. I am not doing freestyle/park and dont weigh much, not so concerned with the frame being extra strong. If I break one, I will be proud lol.

So far I am leaning towards the Haro Z1, really a recreational bike that has a single crank but it fits perfect or the Top AM, but thats 20.5". Not sure if I changed cranks it would be fine. I could get an Eastern Lowdown, 27lbs but a short frame and OK price. I'm not sure on tire width though. At work I could order a Formula Expert, KHE or a Sunday, but that one frame only. I think its best to go with a short frame (19-20" tt) with fat tires (can hold 2" tires) and weighs 28 lbs or less. So what are my options? I am not sure I can test ride one now as not many BMX places here and might need to wait a long time. How come BMX is thought of as a kid's bike yet I'm still too small? :huh:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
This bike will be very inexpensive and fits your size, plus runs fatter tires. It sounds like you're a beginner, so you might as well experiment with some bikes till you find what you really like.... How much do you want to spend ?

09 T&T RAID
FEATURES:
_ RL Low-Profile Race-Style Frame with

Forged Dropouts
_ Redline Hi-Ten Steel Race-Style Fork
_ Redline Aluminum Threadless Stem
_ Platform Pedals
_ Alex Rims / 36H
_ Coaster Brake or Freewheel option
_ Promax Brake System
_ Redline Padded Saddlet

Suggested Rider Size: 4'8" to 5' 6"+

Colors: Black, Blue

FRAME GEOMETRY
Head Angle: 72°

Top Tube: 18"

BB Height: 10.25"

FREE AGENT "TRAIL BANDIT"
http://www.freeagentbmx.com/bikes.htm

New 3 tubes CrMo w/wishbone chainstay, 19.0" toptube, Euro B.B. & 6mm dropouts
Heavy duty fork w/ 1-1/8" blades
Free Agent 2.25 dirt/2.0 street tires
3-pc. hollow CrMo Crankset w/44t chainwheel with Euro B.B.
Free Agent padded jumping saddle
Includes Free Agent rotor
MSRP $239 - $259

And if you do want to stick to DJ mtb, for f's sake, buy this bike. You cannot get a better deal on an awesome 24" mtbmx :

EASTERN Nighttrain 24" - Limited quantity available $775.00 with Free Shipping
**Please note: we can ship this bike to anywhere within the Continental US only**
http://oldskoolcycles.com/Eastern_Night_Train_24.aspx

FRAME: Full Chromoly, Euro BB, Internal Headset, Removable Gyro Tab Holes(even though no gyro)
SIZES: 22.5" T/T, 15.35" chainstay, 72 degree headangle
FORK: RST Space, 20mm thru
HEADSET: Internal Headset
CRANK SET/ CHAINWHEEL: Eastern Electron Tubular Chromo Cranks, 175MM, w/ Eastern 25T Medusa Sprocket
BB-SET: "Euro BB, sealed bearing, 37x20x9
HANDLEBAR: Truvativ Hussefelt, Risebar, 680 x 50RISE, 8 degree backsweep, 5 degree upsweep
STEM: Truvativ Hussefelt
GRIP: Eastern ID Grips
HUB FRONT: Sealed Bearings 32H, with Disc Mount, 20MM axle
HUB REAR: Eastern MTB single speed cassette hub, 14mm axle, 36H, 12t driver with disc hub mt.
RIM: Sun MTX-S type, 24" 36H
SPOKES: 2.0mm Stainless steel 14G UCP, black with brass nipples
FRONT TIRE: K-RAD, K905, 24 x 2.30
REAR TIRE: KNIPTION, K1016, 24 x 2.25
REAR BRAKE: Hayes HFX-9 full hydraulic disc 6" rotor
BRAKE LEVER: Hayes HFX-9 full hydraulic disc
CASSETTE: 12T, 6 paw
CHAIN: KMC 510HX
SADDLE: Pivotal Seat; Base 2
SEAT POST: Pivotal Seatpost, 27.2MM
SEAT POST CLAMP: Alloy
PEGS: 1 pair steel pegs
PEDALS: Eastern Dual-Concave Pedals, loose ball bearing
COLORS: Burgundy

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
This bike will be very inexpensive and fits your size, plus runs fatter tires. It sounds like you're a beginner, so you might as well experiment with some bikes till you find what you really like.... How much do you want to spend ?

09 T&T RAID
FEATURES:
_ RL Low-Profile Race-Style Frame with

Forged Dropouts
_ Redline Hi-Ten Steel Race-Style Fork
_ Redline Aluminum Threadless Stem
_ Platform Pedals
_ Alex Rims / 36H
_ Coaster Brake or Freewheel option
_ Promax Brake System
_ Redline Padded Saddlet

Suggested Rider Size: 4'8" to 5' 6"+

Colors: Black, Blue

FRAME GEOMETRY
Head Angle: 72°

Top Tube: 18"

BB Height: 10.25"

FREE AGENT "TRAIL BANDIT"
http://www.freeagentbmx.com/bikes.htm

New 3 tubes CrMo w/wishbone chainstay, 19.0" toptube, Euro B.B. & 6mm dropouts
Heavy duty fork w/ 1-1/8" blades
Free Agent 2.25 dirt/2.0 street tires
3-pc. hollow CrMo Crankset w/44t chainwheel with Euro B.B.
Free Agent padded jumping saddle
Includes Free Agent rotor
MSRP $239 - $259
That Free Agent looks nice! I dont see many places I can order one though nor specs, weight and tt. One place had it listed as a tt longer. But that looks good. I have $600, but not making much money now so looking to go less. I'm up for the other too. I know a crap load about MTB, not much on any BMX in my size, obviously lol.

Beginner in BMX/DJing yes, to bikes no. Think I was born on one, just got bored of roads, and only raced bikes a bit. But switched to vert skating and unicycling and now doing this. I broke my arm really bad jumping skating vert bowls so thought big airs should be done on a bike in dirt and keep my wheels on concrete. I wasnt going for BMX, but thats whats working out best for me now.

Let me know which bike would be best. I would rather get something one step up then have to buy again in a year. I'm more into fun then winning races so the fat tire ones work better for me. I'm just having a blast at this but really need a smaller bike so I can really start throwing it around.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
CMC what are you thinking the Eastern 24 will not fit me and I am 5'3" Forget about it coming close to fitting her............no offense but have you been reading the thread

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Eastern is way too big for me! I am totally giving up on a real DJ bike as I finally realized I am too small for all of them. I fit in the size motorcross pants youth 26. I'm not big! Plus I dont think I "need" it since I'm not going off jumps over 5'. The BMX I feel comfy on. I am not liking the idea of a bike being over $1500 either.

I'm liking the Stolen Riot 19.5. I found geometry.
Stolen
Top Tube: 19.5"
Chainstay: 14"
Headtube Angle: 74.5°
Seattube Angle: 71°
Weight: 26.6 lbs

Free Agent
Top Tube: 19", 20.2"
Chainstay: 14.4"
Headtube Angle: 74°
Seattube Angle: 72°
Weight: Unknown

My haro 24 now
Top Tube: 21.75"
Chainstay: 15.55"
Headtube Angle: 73.5°
Seattube Angle: 71°
Weight: 26.5 lbs

What I dont like about my bike now, too long, wants to hug the ground. Doesnt lift easily.
It appears the new FA may be 20.25" long for tt.
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=52304

If I can get it in 19" tt, I think I like the geometry on the free agent better. I think the stolen might feel more sketch on landings, correct?

Last edited:

Matt22inch

Chimp
Apr 28, 2009
FTL Ga.
Hi-tensile steel frame with an 1-1/8" standard headtube, 1-1/8" forks, alloy frontload stem, 7.75" 2-pc bars, alloy brake and lever, 3-pc tubular chromoly cranks with an American BB, 36T Kink chainwheel, 3/8" unsealed front hub, 14mm unsealed rear hub, 13T freewheel, 36H alloy rims, alloy platform pedals and 2 steel pegs. 20" Toptube (28.7 lbs)

NOTE: To insure that every component on your bicycle is working properly, we recommend that all Kink Bikes be assembled by a qualified mechanic. Improper assembly of your bicycle may lead to premature wear or failure of individual components such as headsets, crank assembly and wheels. Failure to do so may void the manufacturer's warranty.

DANSCOMP #101674 $249.99
KINK KINK KINK CURB BIKE 2010

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Hi-tensile steel frame with an 1-1/8" standard headtube, 1-1/8" forks, alloy frontload stem, 7.75" 2-pc bars, alloy brake and lever, 3-pc tubular chromoly cranks with an American BB, 36T Kink chainwheel, 3/8" unsealed front hub, 14mm unsealed rear hub, 13T freewheel, 36H alloy rims, alloy platform pedals and 2 steel pegs. 20" Toptube (28.7 lbs)

NOTE: To insure that every component on your bicycle is working properly, we recommend that all Kink Bikes be assembled by a qualified mechanic. Improper assembly of your bicycle may lead to premature wear or failure of individual components such as headsets, crank assembly and wheels. Failure to do so may void the manufacturer's warranty.

DANSCOMP #101674 $249.99
KINK KINK KINK CURB BIKE 2010
That is a pound heavier then my Fit CR24 and it has heavy wheels and tires.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
What about GT Mach one Pro 2009 or the expert but seems like the pro is a 19" tt.

I cant find geometry on this. So far think I like the free agent best, but not sure if I can get one. Stolen 2nd. Input on these 3? I think my DJ bike will be sold this weekend so I will have money. :monkeydance:

L8Braker

Chimp
Jun 4, 2009
North Carolina
Have you thought about an 18" bike like a DK Intervol? I know it sounds silly but my oldest who is about your size rides a Black Eye clone 18" from time to time, and I actually think that bike made him progress quicker with jumping and doing tricks. He still rides and jumps the bike. I know that most 18" bikes weigh as much as the 20" bikes but they can upgraded. I'm thinking you could use the 18" as a transitional bike to get stronger and get more confidence with learning new tricks. Some of the 18" bikes might fit your budget better, just my $.02

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I dont want 18" wheels, I am an adult and coming from a cruiser which I love. We the People looks nice but I think an 18"tt might be too small, the next size I see so far is too big. But I will look more!

I can get this for cheap!
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/1201298418.html

I sent an email to see about the Free Agent. I can afford more then these bikes but right now not seeing anything really beyond this price range or something that I might need. Seems like more expensive = stronger and I really dont need a tank.

L8Braker

Chimp
Jun 4, 2009
North Carolina
After looking at the FA Trail Bandit again, that could work for you. One thing that confuses me, one measurment reads 19" top tube, then below its reads 20.25" top tube? Is it availabe in two different sizes? It also listed 44t gearing in one place then 39t below? In any case if the bike comes with 170mm cranks that would be perfect for your size. Talk to the dealer and find out the actual specs.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I will check out the Free Agent and the GT has an 18" tt. A little short but can I just put a longer stem on it? Wont be too big then lol.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
OK, 08 were 19", 09 are 20.25 with one piece cranks.

The Trail Duster 08 is a better bike, has the 19" tt and they are on clearance. It weighs 28 lbs, get it? It has a slacker geometry then the Stolen for the head angle. WOuld I like that? But weighs 1.4 lbs more.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Seems like the Free Agent is more of a race frame with the 6mm dropouts but the bike is heavier. It should be more stable. Its a touch smaller too. Should this be it? Just wondering if the weight will bother me. I was told 18" tt is too small. I am almost 5'1".

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Seems like the Free Agent is more of a race frame with the 6mm dropouts but the bike is heavier. It should be more stable. Its a touch smaller too. Should this be it? Just wondering if the weight will bother me. I was told 18" tt is too small. I am almost 5'1".
18"tt is small but not too small. I think a small bike will be easier for you to learn on.

There's no exact science to this stuff. In the 80's and early 90's, 6 foot tall dudes rode vert on bikes with 19" top tubes (and their bars straight up and down instead of tilted back). Nowadays people would say you definitely need a 21". You just adapt to your bike--eventually you will have preferences, but in the beginning it really doesnt matter that much.

I say just get the GT and if you don't like it 2 months from now, sell it for $80 on craigslist !!!!!!

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
But I'm not doing park, doing BMX track and DJ. So I dont want to go over the handlebars jumping. I do think 18" tt would be really hard after riding a 21.75" tt with 24" wheels. I was told longer tt makes it more stable too. The smaller wheel is going to be an adjustment for me also. I will ask to look at it first though.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Going to check out the GT. Hey, the geometry of the Redline is similar to that of the Free Agent and I didnt like how the redline rode. The Fit bike is more similar to the Stolen bike and thats well liked. Also similar to the Haro I rode and liked. And looks like on that type of bike, I could do this which is def. sufficient to my needs! Cool vid! A bike that can do this is all I will ever want and need.

http://fitbikeco.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=43&Itemid=72

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
cmc, you are giving me bad advice! I'm 5'1" but mostly legs. I'm close to hitting the handlebars on an 18" tt. Plus it has a single crank and coaster brakes!! Maybe I should say I'm an intermediate BMXer? That bike is great for someone who just came off training wheels. Just cause I am not good at manualing now doesnt mean I cant jump the thing.

I might get a 20" tt now if the stolen isnt decent. Anyone know? I can afford more expensive bike after Sunday. I dont want a sucky bike that I dont want to ride. That GT sucked! I'd rather stick with my oversized Haro. Rides a lot better. I'm frustrated...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
cmc, you are giving me bad advice! I'm 5'1" but mostly legs. I'm close to hitting the handlebars on an 18" tt. Plus it has a single crank and coaster brakes!! Maybe I should say I'm an intermediate BMXer? That bike is great for someone who just came off training wheels. Just cause I am not good at manualing now doesnt mean I cant jump the thing.

I might get a 20" tt now if the stolen isnt decent. Anyone know? I can afford more expensive bike after Sunday. I dont want a sucky bike that I dont want to ride. That GT sucked! I'd rather stick with my oversized Haro. Rides a lot better. I'm frustrated...
wow.... sorry you're frustrated, but i am not giving you bad advice: maybe you didn't provide enough info about yourself and what you want.

i gave you a lot of options and information with links and pictures. it's up to you to make some decisions. ........ just ride and have fun. good luck.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
and if you want to criticize someone for giving you bad advice, check this guy:

If you can find one a s&m war pig. It is a old bike frame but has a really short TT.
the S&M Warpig was one of the HEAVIEST frames of the late 90's. sure it has a short tt but so does every other flatland bike.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
wow.... sorry you're frustrated, but i am not giving you bad advice: maybe you didn't provide enough info about yourself and what you want.

i gave you a lot of options and information with links and pictures. it's up to you to make some decisions. ........ just ride and have fun. good luck.
Hey sorry, its a rainy day and I'm antsy. I just want a cool bike. So OK, talked to a BMX rep and 19.5-20" is the size for me. So what I'll be doing is BMX track, pump tracks, DJs. I'm under 100lbs. I want to manual, do wheelies, jump, race, do 360s, etc. No park/freestyle, but urban stuff too. Just dont want a $1K bike.

I am now tossing between Stolen Riot 19.5" tt and the Fit TRL 1 20"tt. That should be long enough to be stable for jumps, short enough to lift. Both are 26.6-26.7 lbs. Here is the FIT, its about $50 more, better cranks, front tube is 75 degrees, steeper so probably more twitchy. But a guy was really pulling some cool stuff at the track on it!

I think those will be my 2 choices. I'll have money this weekend and I think I'll dig this big time!

I might get the fit, another site says its 25.5 lbs.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I might like a p.grom one day but ss.

But I think I like the FIT trail 1 bike!! I think thats it. :cheers: I can huck that thing forever I'm sure and it wont break. The 19.8" tt felt best, this is 20". That one guy could pull some sick stuff on that bike.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I ride a 21.5 tt MOB and a Fit CR 24 .I am putting parts together for a Domermann Molosse 24" small
Post pics! The Molosse has a 20.5" tt right? If I get loaded, I would like a bike like that with a soft fork. Much better then the specialized bikes I think. Seems like they can run 24 lbs.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Theres a Mirra 5 star on craigslist. But they are asking almost full price for it. Sure I could talk them down. I think the FIT is better? The Mirra looks like a park bike.