Quantcast

bmx tires

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I like FATTY tires, Fit FAF is pretty sweet. Not cheap though. I run a 2.25 (measures bigger) on the front, and a cheap ($10) Kenda Kontact 2.25 (measures smaller) on the back. Both grip and roll really well. I've heard that the light tires (KHE) can feel a bit squirrelly on trails, but really lighten your load for park and street.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I dont know about Fits or Halos but I swear by Animal's tires. I run the GLH non-foldable (front) and ASM (rear) Been doing it for a year or two and love em.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
We were talking about this again at the trails the other day. Light bike with heavy tires is the money spot!! It's probably the main reason why bigger wheeled bikes feel better in the air than little wheels. Even if you have relatively light tires on big wheels, there is still a lot more rotating mass compared to small wheels.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
^^ That would only really apply to trail riders more so than street riders, right? It makes perfect sence, I think my animals are on the avg to heavier side of the scale tho. Since I ride mostly street my wheels are pretty heavy, so the rotational weight you're talking about is why my ride feels so comfy. I ride 48h triple wall wheels with a Solid fork which is nearly 3lbs. Sounds heavy but it feels great.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Well, the faster that your wheels are spinning and the more that you're in the air, the more you are going to notice it. So, it would def be most noticeable on big, fast trails. Having light tires for street might help with hops and tailwhips and things, but maybe at a trade off of stability. It's really just personal preference on how you want the bike to handle. I just know I never really thought about it when building up my bike, but tire weight makes a huge difference in how the bike feels... especially when going fast.