Quantcast

Bobcat vs Kubota

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Need help deciding which to rent for a day, a Bobcat or a 30 hp Kubota, both with buckets in the front. My goal is to get a big pump track and DJ line roughed in and some trails started in the 25 acres out back. There is a dirt source a little ways from the pump track, and I can push some dirt out from the surrounding woods as well. I have ran a Kubota before not a Bobcat, both rent for app the same rate.

Thanks

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'd go for plan c: just rent a mini excavator. Doesn't have as big of a bucket on the front, but you can dig like crazy with them so you don't need to haul any dirt. They also have a plow blade that allows you to push stuff around, too.

I rented one of these last year and roughed in a pump track and two dirt jump lines in 8 hours. I think a full day rental was something like $150.

--JP

dirtjumper22

Chimp
Jan 12, 2008
yea get a bobcat for sure, but if you have a takahuchi dealer near you get one of those. they are amazing. try and get a tl140 or tl150. they will plow you some dirt very very quick

rowlands

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
I just got a 30 horse kubota w/ a hydrostatic transmision definatly very fast easy to drive and use the bucket, not sure what the bobcat can lift but the kubota can lift a 900lbs bucket of dirt so they'll both get the job done... id say just get the cheeper of the two.

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
If we are using "bobcat" as a universal title for a Skidsteer then it has its limitations. If you have the opportunity to rent a "mini Backhoe" do it. This will allow you to dig up the dirt and use the loader bucket to transport. A "skidsteer" is terrible for digging up compact dirt. But, if you already have a pile of dirt to scoop from then it will be a-okay.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Get a mini excavator. They will work cicles around a skidsteer. I have both and the excavator is the best for building jumps and berms

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I build mine with a New Holland skidsteer, and it works fine. But like previously said, they are not good for digging. We had a gigantic komatsu wheel loader on the farm for a bit but I didn't get to build any jumps with that. ;(

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I don't know about the Kubota's but back in the days while as was a landscaper, the company I worked for had 1 Bobcat , 2 or 3 Case and I'm remember we all hated the Bobcat 'cause it was slow and had no guts....

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
i would agree that a mini excavator would be a pretty smart option, but it sounds like you may also need to move some dirt a little distance which might not make that your best choice, since you already have expereice with the Kubota that might be your best choice as it will just be a day rental, and if it were down to a kubota vs a skid steer style bobcats the kubota would be a better call, now if they have a tracked bobcat say a T300 thats what i would use, eays to drive and it would be better for compaction, also if its going to be muddy/soft the tracks will cause less damage and you wont get stuck! have fun!

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Thanks for all the help, I decided on a Kubota w/ backhoe attachment, got one reserved for next weekend. After some of your input I would have went with a mini ex., but I need to clear some brambles, and make a rally track for the Subaru in the surrounding forest, which the Kubota will be ideal for.

Got the Subaru running last night, it had been sitting in the wood shed out back since 99......it runs pretty damn good popped a tire off the bead last night trying her out....lol.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Sorry nother non-DH post. Next one in this thread will be of DJ's and Pump Track. In the mean time here's what a couple hrs of "mods" can do to lighten up a Subaru. She's much faster now, and the mildew smell is gone as well.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Nick what's up did you buya a place or what?

On a side note but slightly related, we had a dozer out at Dry Hill today.
Got the finish area for the DH, and pits, and the Slalom roughed in for the FR cup. Gonna be sweet!