Quantcast

Bode Miller - what a joke!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
amydalayna said:
I agree. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't hate Bode Miller, but I think 5th is pretty good. And even he said that he was happy with his run and the guy who took gold totally deserved it.

So many people are quick to make excuses for why they didn't take home gold. Bode made none. I think that's commendable.
The only thing that ticked me off about his DH run is it looked like he didn't get into his tuck fast enough toward the end of the run.

I still give the guy massive props for getting 5th amongst the best of the best...

although I think sometimes his ramblings can be misconstrued and taken out of context it makes him look kinda like an @$$!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
Kind of reminds me skiing-wise of a pre-injury H. Maier.
That reminds me of Bode Miller's latest quote.
He was talking about the misconceptions the media have on skier's personalities and he said that

H. Maier is about as interesting as that plant over there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
MMcG said:
Obviously he wasn't fast enough, or accurate enough with his skiing at the Olympics.
Do yourself a favor and look at the timing margins between 1st and 20th place.

A spectator farting on the sidelines can make a difference between 1st and 10th. This guy has world cup titles which were won against the exact same people he's racing against in the olympics. 5mm of ski length define placing as much as what you deem as "worthwhile" performance.

You wanna gripe about an american? Gripe about Darren Rahlves. He's also got a few world cup wins under his belt and finished far behind miller in DH.

You're letting yourself get wrapped up in tabloid crap. He could have easily won any event with the exact same performace.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MMcG said:
Obviously he wasn't fast enough, or accurate enough with his skiing at the Olympics.

My thread primarily was commenting on all the hype that was built up around this guy, when in reality, he's a great skiier, but not the end all and be all of skiing by any means.
Here's something you should've learned when you were 8 - don't listen/believe the hype. :rolleyes:

Hence, all the hype and his lame finishes. And 5th is good and all in some people's eyes, but it isn't even good enough to get a medal of any kind. And then he goes and gets DQ'd for his next event.
:rolleyes:

In my book he'll just be some skier who couldn't live up to the hype.
Ever hear of the World Cup? He's actually a great all-around skier. Did you know that they ski competitively every year - not just in the Olympics? :p

Oh yeah and what the heck does Nike make or sell that involves skiing anyway?
I think just outerwear. I wouldn't buy their crap for skiing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
That reminds me of Bode Miller's latest quote.
He was talking about the misconceptions the media have on skier's personalities and he said that

H. Maier is about as interesting as that plant over there.
Hermann probably doesn't speak English very well.

I'd bet he gets interesting after throwing back a bottle of schnapps. :D

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
amydalayna said:
I agree. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't hate Bode Miller, but I think 5th is pretty good. And even he said that he was happy with his run and the guy who took gold totally deserved it.

So many people are quick to make excuses for why they didn't take home gold. Bode made none. I think that's commendable.

Yeah I dont remember the quote exactly but he was very humble and said something to the effect that he raced good enough for Second place but a mistake led to 5th. Personally i dig that he partys hard and competes even harder. Its not the best example for our young people but Charles Barkley said it best "I am not a role model!"

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Why does every one hate Bode so much, its not his fault there is so mush hype on him. He is a crazy and fast skier. Oh and 5th or whatever it was isn't so bad if you ask me. I think people should cut Bode some slack ecpecally when he could kick all of our asses on one ski.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Jeremy R said:
They "let" her go because she has won two silver medals in the Olympics, and won nine straight National Championships.
It was either go with her and all her experience or take a chance on a young kid. They made the easy choice.
Now, she bowed out in plenty of time, and the other girl will be there and ready to skate.

As far as Bode Miller, there is nothing wrong with his results.
That 5th place he got in the DH was well earned.
The problem with him is his mouth.
When you come across that cocky, the only way you can look good is to win. If you don't win, you stand high upon the chump podium for all the world to see.
She was the sentimental favorite NOT the practical choice. She could have been missing her leg and they still would have chosen her. The dude even admitted as much in his interview.

Bode is an enigma to me, I’m not sure what to make of him.

Now Apollo, he’s a loser.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
The thing is the media is who hyped him up. Just like it's the media putting him down. If you look on yahoo now there is a "Bodies latest blunder" on there.

Bodie has been like this both his skiing and and talking hi whole career. With his skiing either he's on the podium, or he just blows up.

He didn't ski that bad, 5th in the olympic DH is not bad.

On another note, I think alot of his results for the US in the DH came down to a bad choice in Wax, Daron Rahlves had a good run line wise, but his ski just didn't run.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
there was a good quote today about Bode's DQ.

"I didn't know until I was in the spinning room," Miller said. "I saw that I wasn't on the board anymore, and I was like, 'I think I just got DQ'd.' So I called and they said, 'Yeah.'"

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
MMcG, by yr way of thinking, Steve Peat is a booze-bag failure. ;)

I don't see Peaty on any Nike Commercials or anything like that.

Who knew I'd stir up so many different viewpoints with this thread though. I'm glad I started it! :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
amydalayna said:
there was a good quote today about Bode's DQ.

"I didn't know until I was in the spinning room," Miller said. "I saw that I wasn't on the board anymore, and I was like, 'I think I just got DQ'd.' So I called and they said, 'Yeah.'"
ahhhh...so he's smart too! :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Zutroy said:
On another note, I think alot of his results for the US in the DH came down to a bad choice in Wax, Daron Rahlves had a good run line wise, but his ski just didn't run.

you see that he swapped skis 5 second before he went into the gate?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
amydalayna said:
what lame finishes? Like taking home overall world cup titles?
I'm talking about what have you done for me lately Bode finishes and that amounts to a 5th and a disqualification.

General Joe public doesn't care about his world cup titles. He was on the main stage at the Olympics and he flopped. That's all I'm saying.

If you are going to talk the talk like he does you gotta be able to back it up with the performances to match.

MMcG said:
I'm talking about what have you done for me lately Bode finishes and that amounts to a 5th and a disqualification.

General Joe public doesn't care about his world cup titles. He was on the main stage at the Olympics and he flopped. That's all I'm saying.

If you are going to talk the talk like he does you gotta be able to back it up with the performances to match.
but a lot of the talk as well is coming from our phenomenal media. 3/4s of the hype is from our media, not from him

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Zman said:
but a lot of the talk as well is coming from our phenomenal media. 3/4s of the hype is from our media, not from him

Hasn't most of the recent press revolved around interviews of said Mr. Miller though? I think he brought it on just as much as the media did.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Zman said:
The media can easily manipulate anything, and just by taking some words out of context make him look any way they want...

in a lot of recent situations they have overemphasized some of his statements to make him look cockier than he is!!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
So my buddy was talking all this smack about the XC bike race we were doing. He ended up getting his ass kicked, so after I said "Man, did you ever Bode that race"

hahaha

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i hate the media when they overly hype really good athletes in sports where most of the time the top performers are always under the radar. the whole "flying tomato" thing with shaun white was obviously him making a joke and then they actually assumed that its his nickname. the media sucks because they over hype athletes all the time whether they are deserving or not and they dont know what they are talking about 99% of the time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
gnurider1080 said:
i hate the media when they overly hype really good athletes in sports where most of the time the top performers are always under the radar. the whole "flying tomato" thing with shaun white was obviously him making a joke and then they actually assumed that its his nickname. the media sucks because they over hype athletes all the time whether they are deserving or not and they dont know what they are talking about 99% of the time.
Yeah the media always needs an angle and the public is too willing to lap it up.

Anyone that actually saw the downhill race (let alone others) knows that racing at that level requires super-human confidence. Call that cocky if you want, but I have little doubt that just about every competitor on the mountain was talking similar trash.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
I don't see Peaty on any Nike Commercials or anything like that.
i haven't seen the Bode Nike ad, so i can't comment. however, if Nike waved $$$ in front of Steve, he'd be in front of the camera before you could open a Stella.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
gnurider1080 said:
flying tomato=gold medal. I think that's the point.

anyhoo HE almost biffed it too.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Just some FYI for ya

The defending DH gold medaliest finished behind Bode

and Oh yeah...we just won the gold in the combined anyways...Thanks to Ted Ligety

and the guy that was behind Bode when he stradled the gate, just wnet off course.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
i haven't seen the Bode Nike ad, so i can't comment. however, if Nike waved $$$ in front of Steve, he'd be in front of the camera before you could open a Stella.
Ad? There have been more than one - it is like a series of ads with him featured.

Is DH mountain biking an olympic sport? I know XC is and whatnot, but is DH as well?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
loco said:
So did this Bode Miller guy not do well at the olympics???
The critical insight that you are bringing to this thread has made me ponder the very significance of my purpose here on this earth.
Thank you Loco, thank you for helping me.........understand.