Quantcast

body armor and women's bodies

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Have any of you tried enough kinds of body armor to know if a particular brand or style happens to fit women particularly well? I'm in the market. I am currently using a friend's old Azonic body armor, but it's an XL and way too big for me. I think if I wear a long sleeve t-shirt underneath it'll keep it from sliding too much. Hopefully it'll do until I can find/afford my own body armor.

I am 5' 7 1/2" and weigh 130. My boobs are medium-sized I guess, and they make the front pieces of the armor stick out a little bit.

I hope this doesn't deteriorate into a wardrobe malfunction thread or something. I know I am setting myself up... but am asking in earnest before I plunk down more $ on gear.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've had very good luck with my Dainese. I have "medium" boobs too I think and I don't really have a problem with the chest plate on it. (I wear a medium...I've got a decent set of shoulders on me ;) )

But I've also heard very good things about the RockGardn's...and they're priced a bit better than the Dainese. A few of the guys on the team wear 'em and really like them.

I've also tried on an older 661 and it just flat out did not fit me at all.....the pads just weren't in the right spots.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
The Rockgardn Flak Jacket works quite well for me. At 5'2", the small is a tad big, but with a little snugging up adjustment on the Velcro strapping, I got it to fit surprisingly well. I've never had any luck with the hard plastic "motocross" style chest plates, though.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, I am 5' 4" tall and medium build n' boobs. I just bought a 661 defender chest protector (it's a plastic motocross style one) and it seems a little big in the shoulders, but I can cinch it up a bit....I have yet to try it out on a ride yet. It was pretty inexpensive (less than $100 at PricePoint.com) Hopefully it works well...I will let you know!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Ditto on the Dainese. I'm also about 5'4" and have pretty medium sized boobs, and have used dainese since I started racing. The older models didn't have a hard chest plate, the new one's do. Both work well, as the chest plate on the newer one's is molded with a little curve to it. I like the dainese style suits because I feel like everything stays in place better and the pads don't shift around at all. They are spendy, but I have one thats almost four years old and it's still in great shape. It's a good investment as I'm sure that suit has saved my 100's in doctor bills (if not thousands!!).

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
might be overkill since it's a full-on motocross chest protector, but the acerbis women's line is very comfy. little bit of curve for the ta-ta's makes a world of difference. it's got spine protection, though not as extensive as that extra piece on the dianese.

but there's a dh racer who will soon be coming out with a line of goodies just for us, keep an eye out for it at DANGERGIRLDH.com.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Dainese is the only way to go, in my opinion. I've known a few people get hurt with the plastic moto-style chest protectors. You're not moving around so much (pedalling, etc) on a moto...and those protectors are really designed to help protect your chest area only. A Dainese has so much more protection. As for the other "copies" (ie 661, Rockgardn, Bombshell, etc) they tend to a bit hot due to the type of fabric they use. I have a few friends who use the Azonic suit and like that one.

And yes, like DH Diva said...it's a cheap form of health insurance. My suit's saved me on many, many occasions!:D

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Thanks, all, for your recommendations re: body armor. I just bought my first mtn. bike.... Now that that's out of the way and done with, I really need to go ahead and buy the armor that fits since I'll be riding a lot!

Tuff*Stuff

Chimp
Jun 23, 2003
North Bend
Dainese is deifnately the way to go. I had the lowers and just got the Jacket with the plastic chest plate. I am both the same height and weight and it fits great. I have already started going bigger due to the confidence I feel wearing it.

BTW, what kind of Bike did you get?

-TS

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by Tuff*Stuff
Dainese is deifnately the way to go....
BTW, what kind of Bike did you get?
-TS
Dainese seems to be the winning answer. I think I'll order the suit tonight.

I bought a 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900. It really feels right for me. I hadn't ridden one before I had my LBS order one for me (no obligation if I rode it and it wasn't right for me.) I am quite pleased to have finally found a bike that feels like me!!! When I was driving home from the store with it, I kept on reaching into the back of my car to feel if it was really there. :D

The Cannondale site doesn't really show you how good the 900 looks in matte black (barbecue.) God, it looks so pirate! The decals are dark grey, so from a distance of five feet, the bike just looks like some no-name, evil thing. I'll post pics when I have some.

To my surprise, the seat tube has these pin-up style girlie stickers of a woman with butterfly wings. She's almost topless. Works for me.

I think my Gemini is possessed. I caught it doing a nose-wheelie last night after I crash-landed across some pricker vines. I turned back and it was dancing by a log.

Anyway, the Gemini sleeps in my bedroom with me. Mud and all. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
I bought a 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900. It really feels right for me. I hadn't ridden one before I had my LBS order one for me (no obligation if I rode it and it wasn't right for me.) I am quite pleased to have finally found a bike that feels like me!!! When I was driving home from the store with it, I kept on reaching into the back of my car to feel if it was really there. :D

The Cannondale site doesn't really show you how good the 900 looks in matte black (barbecue.) God, it looks so pirate! The decals are dark grey, so from a distance of five feet, the bike just looks like some no-name, evil thing. I'll post pics when I have some.

To my surprise, the seat tube has these pin-up style girlie stickers of a woman with butterfly wings. She's almost topless. Works for me.

I think my Gemini is possessed. I caught it doing a nose-wheelie last night after I crash-landed across some pricker vines. I turned back and it was dancing by a log.

Anyway, the Gemini sleeps in my bedroom with me. Mud and all. :)
Nice ride :thumb: I can't wait to see some pics of you rippin' it up on it! ;)