Quantcast

Body armour with good shoulder protection?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
So, no1 son is recovering well from a shoulder dislocation, apart from whenever he takes a hit to the shoulder a ligament that runs through a hole in the shoulder swells up and his arm won't move for a couple of weeks and some more physio time.
Basically I'm trying to find armour that has the best level of protection for a direct hit to the shoulder. Not so much to brace the shoulder, but to dissipate the impact.
Gotta be neck brace compatible.

Any hints? I'm a bit at a loss, as it's never been an issue for me, and a tld soft shell has been all I ever need, even with a rapidly aging body.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was pretty happy with my dainese suit, especially while hugging trees. Nowadays they are a bit slimmer, with no elbow pads, but the shoulder caps were dope.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Another vote for Dainese here.
I'm using the Rhyolite jacket which uses a D3O-like material on all the pads, and is very lightweight and comfortable. Having used most brands it's also probably the highest quality product I've seen so far. It doesn't have a hard outer shell which may not provide enough protection in your son's case, but probably worth looking through their lineup in any case. Just be wary of fit, their sizing runs small so it's useful if you can try in person.

As an unrelated sidenote, the shoulder/arm pieces zip off together so you can just run it as a vest depending on what you're rding / temperature which I like also.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Another vote for Dainese here.
I'm using the Rhyolite jacket which uses a D3O-like material on all the pads, and is very lightweight and comfortable. Having used most brands it's also probably the highest quality product I've seen so far. It doesn't have a hard outer shell which may not provide enough protection in your son's case, but probably worth looking through their lineup in any case. Just be wary of fit, their sizing runs small so it's useful if you can try in person.

As an unrelated sidenote, the shoulder/arm pieces zip off together so you can just run it as a vest depending on what you're rding / temperature which I like also.
Yeah, trying stuff on is always a bit of a head ache these days. Nobody carries stock of this sort of stuff.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The most substantial shoulder protection I've ever found on bike/MX armor is the Alpinestars A8. Neck brace-compatible, articulated, double-layer shoulder caps and full-length spine armor too. All hard-shell like a regular MX chest protector but with full spine. Impressive piece.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
sounds like dude is pretty hurt. I'm not sure a plastic shoulder cup will help for anything beyond ye olde tip over en the clipless at 0mph.

I wear a Daniese top, but mostly for the spine protection and scrapes, bruises.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
There is no doubt he is properly hurt, but he isn't going to stop, so I just need to help how I can.

If throwing some dollars at new armour makes things 10% better, it's a no brainer.

sounds like dude is pretty hurt. I'm not sure a plastic shoulder cup will help for anything beyond ye olde tip over en the clipless at 0mph.

I wear a Daniese top, but mostly for the spine protection and scrapes, bruises.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I think you already know what must be done
All I know is raising teenagers removes your ability to be certain about anything. You offer guidance and freedom in equal amounts and wish that you were Omni-religious so you could pray to all the gods for their safety.